September 30, 2014

D'Onfrio and Erbe out at Law and Order: CI?

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 25th 2009 4:07PM
Law and Order: CI
Last week we told you that Julianne Nicholson had decided not to come back to Law and Order: CI after having a baby, and in the same post we hinted that other changes might be coming to the USA show too. This could be those changes.

The Hollywood Reporter and set sources are both saying that Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe, and Eric Bogosian are all being written out of the show. That would mean that Jeff Goldblum would be the star of the show and that new cast members would have to be hired. D'Onofrio might make guest appearances in the future.

I can see Bogosian going, since he always seemed like a recurring character at best and you can replace those. But D'Onofrio and Erbe are the heart of the show, really, and it's interesting if Goldblum (who I always assumed would last for a season or two and then be on his way back to the movies) would be the lead character on the show now.

Robert

I am really sorry that vincent donofrio isn't continuing his stint on l&o criminal intent. I am fascinated with the way he portrays Det. Goren. I would like to see the people in charge reconsider their cancellation. Carol in kingston, N.Y.

April 04 2011 at 10:26 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Nantz

Can't you see what happened here? This was all in the making during the past Season 8, the ole "set you up to fail" routine that the corporate monsters are so good at. The show had bad scripts, inexcusable continuity problems and the airing of episodes out of sequence. It had little to no promotion, was delayed more times than I can count and half-hearted support at best. They don't give a rat's ass about the viewers, they don't listen and now they have decided for us what they think we should watch. Bonnie Hammer is all about promoting her "blue sky" and "popcorn" crap because she thinks that we can't handle anything "dark", "dark" as in reality and instead would have us skipping the yellow brick road to the Land of Oz. Well, you know what? Reality exists and yes, sometimes we like escapism but let us have a choice! Even restaurants offer ala carte to their patrons. My answer to them has been to come up with the idea to sends jars of "Fluff" to the execs as a symbolic gesture that they can keep their lighter fare programming. What they have done to LO: CI is downright shameful, a show that's been around for 8 years and this is the thanks we get for our loyalty, not to mention the disservice and injustice to the cast. How can they wrap up 8 years in a 2 hour premiere? All we want is a full Season 9 to properly tie up all loose ends and to give the cast a mutually satisfying exit. Money is a cruel bitch, but what you reap is what you sow and in the end the money you think you saved is the money you will lose when the viewers walk away once the key players are gone, the ratings will be gone too. And now that "Southland" has been cancelled another nail is in the coffin for NBCU and it is my hope that your network gets buried. For those that want to join forces to voice your displeasure with the goings on with LO: CI please go to:

October 10 2009 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

This is not right!! These two ARE LOCI! This is wrong...do they realize how extremely depressed they have made fans??? This is so wrong....I'm just going to live in denial where its safe and they aren't going...I refuse to believe this!! *cries & sobs*

October 02 2009 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

Fans are organizing The Campaign to Save Goren and Eames by contacting directly the NBCU/USA executives most responsible for the decision to fire these actors. We are reminding them that our loyalty is to Goren & Eames and D'Onofrio and Erbe, and that our viewing (and their corporate profits from the series) are dependent on these stars. Join the campaign! If we work together we can turn this around. Keep it short, respectful, but firm. E-mail addresses:

bonnie.hammer@nbcuni.com
jeff.gaspin@nbcuni.com
jean.guerin@nbcuni
andrea.epstein@nbcuni.com

September 28 2009 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandra

This is one very stupid decision on USA's part, they have majorly underestimated the fan support for vince and Kate, they will have a rude awakening when their ratings drop into the toilet along with their network. Good going Hammer you should have stayed in the minor leagues where you belong.

September 27 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sandra's comment
Lesley

I've heard of one person departing a show, but three, four actually if you count Julianne Nicholson? So what gives? There has to be a lot more going on behind the scenes for this many cast members to up and leave.

I'm outta here as far as CI is concerned, unless of course they bring Noth back and partner him up with Alicia Witt. Don't know what kind of contract Noth signed with CBS, but he's only playing a bit role in that show. The Good Wife is all about Julianne Marguiles, not Chris Noth.

What a travesty, but Goldblum doesn't float my boat. One of my family members asked if Goldblum was "the nerd from Jurassic Park?" Yes, so what's he doing on LOCI?

September 27 2009 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trtlsoup2001

D'Onfrio and Erbe ARE L&O:CI. They've proved in the past they are the draw in that show. It wouldn't be the same without them, and I'd be hard pressed to continue watching without them. Too bad... it's one of my faves.

September 27 2009 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Anne

NO,NO,NO, I can not handle this if true, too many losses,and to lose these two, no, no, no.

September 26 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I seriously doubt I will watch once Goren & Eames are gone. Jeff Goldburg's character (and Julianne's) did absolutely nothing for me. I hope the allow some closure to the characters unlike the awful way they didn't deal with Logan's exit. As a Goren/Eames shipper, I would love for them to go off together but I seriously doubt they will.

September 26 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robub

Very sad news! Goren is one of my favorite characters on television,along with Tommy Gavin from Rescue Me and Jax from SOA. Eames was the perfect foil for him and I will miss both when they leave.

Sadly, this is my favorite L&O and I think this will be the death of the series. I liked Goldblum, but I don't think he can carry the series on his own. USA has a marathon today, guess I should watch it while I still can!

September 26 2009 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eliz

Well it was awesome while it lasted but unless ... and I apologize to the non-shipper inspired... Eames and Goren are being forced to split up because their secret affair has come forward, taking them off the show is the end of the road for me.

September 25 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply