July 25, 2014

Survivor Samoa: Taking Candy From a Baby

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Sep 25th 2009 1:18AM
The immunity challenge gets rough on Survivor Samoa
(S19E02) Controversy is good for a show, don't you think? When you think about it, we're on the 19th season of Survivor. There are only so many fresh new challenges and twists you can do with a bunch of folks stuck in the jungle. What to do? We saw it last season -- come up with outrageous cast members. The same tactic is in practice this season, perhaps two for the price of one. Evil has a name and we know it's Russell. Stupid Jerk Bully has a name ... and, believe it or not, that name isn't Russell.

Stupid Jerk Bully would be Ben. I should have known he'd be a bit off when he claimed his career is a "mixologist." He's a bartender. That's it. No fancy-schmancy title. Bar-tend-er. His behavior and attitude almost makes Evil Russell look like a good guy. Um, wait. Evil Russell is far from a good guy.

But I begrudgingly admit that Russell is doing something right. It might all backfire on him down the road -- I hope it does. He's thus far gotten out two people whom he knew didn't trust him and might work to target him. He's aligned himself with a good strong guy, Jaison. The kicker is that he even figured there had to be a hidden immunity idol around somewhere and found it without a single clue. What can I say? Nicely played.

Before I go into rants about Yasmin and Ben, I need to rant about tonight's immunity/reward challenge. What the heck was up with that? Yes, Ben was out of line with his low blows and aggressiveness. But what did the producers expect? Mud, a mix of basketball and football, and no protective gear? Nor any real rules until people started getting hurt? What's going on in their minds? Ratings, I assume.

Yasmin, when sent to the Foa Foa camp, totally blew her mission. Had she played her cards right, she would have come away with a ton of information about the tribe which would get her in better with her own tribemates. Plus, she could have played nicey-nice with Foa Foa to make a few allies for herself past the merge. I'd say she could have come away with the hidden idol except that Evil Russell already has it.

She did have the best line of the night -- "The hood's not the woods." I don't see her getting really far in the game. Maybe that's why she treated the other tribe like small puppy dogs who think she's all that. She probably realizes she has no chance to make it to the merge. She's too weak of a player all around.

Then there's Stupid Jerk Bully Ben. SJBB. While Yasmin's approach to him was poor, his reaction was even worse. I'm tempted to throw the word racist in there for him, too. His attitude when kicked out of the challenge made my jaw drop. Even Jeff Probst was stunned. "Oh, I'm an outlaw. Rules aren't meant for me." He didn't just trip Good Russell in the challenge as he said -- it was more like kicking his ankle full force.

Between his bullying, his attitude, his low verbal blows calling Yasmin "ghetto" and mocking her intelligence, and the final low blow of miming shooting Betsy the cop ... this lowlife bartender needs the boot. After last week, I didn't think there would be anyone lower than Russell. I've been proven wrong. It's a shame. He was one of my eye candy boy toys. Your thoughts?

[Watch episodes and clips of Survivor over at SlashControl.]

Who's worse -- Evil Russell or Ben?
Evil Russell104 (37.4%)
Ben174 (62.6%)

Nick

Ben isn't a racist, whoever thinks so is a dumbfuck.

December 10 2009 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

That idol thing (must find on other tribe's beach) would make it very interesting now wouldn't it? Good twist if ti is. And yes Ben is a butthole. Sorry but you don't ever mime shooting a cop. You just don't. And the whole ghetto thing? He would prob cry like a baby if he ever found himself in the ghetto or Detroit for that matter

September 28 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Did they change their mind? I watched the TV preview special for this season of Survivor, and Jeff said that they had gotten rid of Exile Island this season, but their was two hidden immunity idols, one at each camp, for the opposite tribe. I thought he said that the one at the each camp was only valid for a player of the opposite tribe. So even though Russell found the hidden immunity idol, it wouldn't be valid for him, since it's meant for someone on the other tribe.

September 28 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric's comment
Eric

I meant the TV Guide channel preview.

September 28 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wh

Ben is way worse he is just being rude because that's how he is and Evil Russel actually has a plan that explains his behavior. He wants to stir up trouble so he can have some fun while he there. Although I do think it will wind up backfiring on him in the end.

September 26 2009 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

I hate those contestants so much. Russell & Ben aren't interesting at all. The show will be much better when they're gone.

September 26 2009 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

I hate both Russell and Ben, the difference, Russell is wealthy and "playing" a character and Ben is not, looks like real Ben. Ben will get tossed he is too unlikable and out in the open.

September 25 2009 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

the stay tuned for scenes from our next episode line had Jaison leading a rally to get rid of Ben so I am guessing Foa-Foa loses the immunity challenge again LOL and Jaison himself a African-American thinks Ben has racist tendencies

September 25 2009 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

As much distaste as I hold for Evil Russell, I have to give him kudos for his gameplay. Still, I hope that his butt DOES get kicked somewhere down the line. Also hope, too, that somebody soon hands him some pants or a grass skirt or SOMETHING! His skivvies are beyond gross.

Ben is one step beyond Natalie's (BB) mean-spiritedness. At least she wasn't physical.

Wonder if Mike will come back. I suppose medical would not want him in comps again and more than likely, he would have been out quickly anyway.

This looks to be a great season so far.

September 25 2009 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
champ

I think Evil Russell is way more fun to watch than Coach last season. At least he's not dumb, he does thing with a plan in mind. I do want to see his whole big scheme thing in play.

Ben is dumb, period. And Yasmin .. I don't care about her. She'll be gone very very soon.

September 25 2009 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Ben is awful, but mainly because he has no game. He's just an annoying snot. Russ is at least engaging in behavior toward an ultimate goal.

However, I can't believe Ben got booted from the challenge for his trip. I saw someone nearly choke out another player seconds after Jeff issued his warning and was sure that player was the one to be booted. The whole thing was odd and strange.

September 25 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply