April 19, 2014

The game show makeovers continue with Family Feud

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 25th 2009 8:02AM
Family FeudWe've seen changes to The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune and a big change to the Jeopardy set. Now Family Feud has changed things too.

The show no longer has a set-in-stone jackpot in the final "Fast Money" game that the winning family plays. Instead, at the start of the show, each family starts with $15,000 in their "Jackpot" and then there are five quick "Bullseye" rounds where the familes have to guess the number one answer to a question. Question one gives you $1000, question two gives you $2000, and so on. Whatever you win is added to the bank and that's the amount you play for. It's great if you get a few questions right, but not so great if you don't (this is actually something they had on the show in the 90s and have brought back).

The other change is that we now get to know the families more than we ever did before. John O'Hurley doesn't just talk to each family member, we now get to see behind the scenes videos each family has made to introduce each family member and explain how/why they came to apply to the show. Ugh. Remember the days when we didn't find out everything about game show contestants?

I'm sure most of them are very nice people, but get on with the game already.

However, I wouldn't put Family Feud on my ten favorite game shows of all-time list, so I'm probably not the person to know what's best for the show. I'll ask this of big fans: what do you think of these changes?

Jan Wodehouse

u guys are crazy!!! John O Hurly is constantly making fun of himself....he is that character....it is not real....gt a grip. I love him...he is very funny.....he is still Peterman off of Seinfeld. He cant help it if he is elegant looking...
he is very quick and adds a lot of class to the show.

September 25 2009 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RickS

Who the hell cares? Good grief get a phuqin life

September 25 2009 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mickerie

New format and I won't watch. It's about the game, people! What idiot was paid for this idea. Why don't we get videos of the NFL players at home before each game? Nutty idea. I'm gone.

September 25 2009 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BV

Of 100 people polled, what is the #1 moment when Family Fued jumped the shark?

September 25 2009 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dappy

I did look forward to this show as an afternboon break - HOWEVER - if they are going to clutter the game with family introductions - I'll pass on it going forward, thank you.... what a waste of very short game time.....

September 25 2009 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lazybaker

I don't like the show since John O'Hurley has been the host. He's creepy and thinks to much of himself.

September 25 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Overkill....Just like Deal or No Deal. It's at the Hanging on by a thread stage. See Ya!

September 25 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I could care less about the contestants. O'Hurley is a pro at dealing with people, and the little bit of ego that he has serves him well. The changes are OK and probably make little difference to the demographic. O'Hurley would have been the ideal guy to replace Bob Barker, but he probably wasn't considered.

September 25 2009 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gail Drayton

I love Family Feud.....as a matter of fact, I am watching it right now...
If I were to complain about a game show it would be The Price Is Right. I cannot stand Drew Carey on there. He was fine in his sitcom , The Drew Carey Show, But I find him very annoying on TPIR!
I watch it only because my 91 year old uncle likes the show and even he doesn't like Drew in that role.......

September 25 2009 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r

Get rid of that creepy self loving ass host. what a putz. he is so in love with himself it's gross. haven't watched it since he started. Dump him!! pompus ass

September 25 2009 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply