September 2, 2014

A&E cancels The Cleaner

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 26th 2009 3:40PM
The_Cleaner_Benjamin_BrattWhile a lot of shows seem to be thriving in cable, in the last couple of days, two series have bitten the dust. TBS dumped The Bill Engvall Show after three seasons, and now A&E Network has canceled The Cleaner, opting not to give the drama series another year. Hmm... does that mean Benjamin Bratt is available to return to Law and Order?

Probably not. Been there, done that, you know. But the TV pro is now unemployed although I doubt that'll be for long. The Cleaner just never really clicked for A&E. It was as intense as the network's hit reality show, Intervention, but it wasn't nearly as compelling.

Bob suggested that The Cleaner had gotten lost in the shuffle of returning series last June when it began its second season. That's likely, but I also believe that A&E didn't do the show any favor by running it during the summer. Even efforts to make the capturing of the addicts more like a "caper" didn't help. It also didn't ring true.

The Cleaner might have done better had it been less TV drama and more like Intervention. That was clearly A&E's goal, but in the end, they didn't reach it. With The Cleaner canceled and the Patrick Swayze show, The Beast, also gone, A&E is currently devoid of original dramatic series.

Diane

Are you kidding? I loved this show! I could not wait for a new episode and even watched the reruns. Benjamin was of course a huge draw but I would watch him in anything. Real stories about the struggles of those that live in a world I don't is very interesting. Not eveyone likes to watch extreme drama... afterall don't we live it everyday and TV helps us escape it?

November 12 2009 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PHYL

Why did they choose this program to take off. There are sooo many CRAPPY reality shows out there, it was nice to see something worth watching on television. There is sooo much STUPID on our airwaves now days. I rarely watch television anymore, and thanks to A&E, there will be one less show worth watching. RIP A&E,,,, I WON'T BE WATCHING YOUR CHANNEL ANYMORE!!!!!!!

October 01 2009 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim K

I'm in SHOCK! One of the best shows that has come out in a long time. If they need to take a show off, take that stupid Tattoo one off!

If you want to complain about them taking the show off the air, here is the web address:

September 30 2009 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

When are these people who make the tv decisions going to learn that a great actress like Grace Park doesn't just come along very often? Granted, Grace never got the lion's share of the parts in "The Cleaner" ( a foolish error by the writers) but an ounce of Grace Park is worth a ton of anybody else. Her presence alone, albeit brief, gave that show credibility, respect, and a reason for millions of fans to tune in. Her beauty and natural flair for acting was a breath of fresh air that offset any of the grimmer elements of that show.

Since this site didn't cover "The Cleaner" I thought I would at least make my little tribute to her. So say we all!!

September 30 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Felicia

I love the show--record every episode! I hate it for those who had no appreciation for it--the only thing I think would make one not enjoy the show are those that have no belief in God so I feel more sorry for them than the show. One day I pray all non-believers will have a real-life experience with God and gain an appreciation for shows of this nature.

September 29 2009 at 4:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrie741

I loved this show and was able to actually let my teen girls watch with us. Possible to have discussions on subject matter as a family with open dialogue. Sad that it was not promoted better and given the credit it deserved! Great cast- yes could have done without whoopi, but still great show. Hoping they get lots of letters and calls- could get it back.

September 28 2009 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ellen

shame on A&E. "The Cleaner" saved my son's life, gave him hope and gave me my sanity back. The world has enough bad sitcomes. "The Cleaner" is the one and only reason I watch A&E. So sad that producers at A&E don't have the intelligence to recognize something so current, important, and helpful . You had a gem in Benjamin Bratt. His performance is oscar worthy. Good bye A&E

September 28 2009 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hootie larue

I hope that some other network, be it cable or not, is intelligent enough to know that this is a seriously worthwhile and important show, and it should be picked up and kept in the line up. Someone please wake up and do something that makes a difference. Keep The Cleaner alive!!

September 28 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hootie larue

This is absolutely ridiculous.....There are ssssoooo few decent, much less truly good television shows on any more. The Cleaner was one that captured and held your attention, and unlike others always left me looking forward to the next episode when one was over. The fact that it was a based on the life and work of an actual human who is still doing the good work to which he was called is a plus. And aside from the basic story of the man and his work being fascinating alone, they were fortunate enough to find, as rarely is the case, the actors that were able to not only portray but actually become those who their characters were. It was believable, it was worth seeing, worth knowing of, and worth learning more about. A&E should think long and hard before they make this a permanent decision, they have very little to offer and the list is shrinking quickly.

September 28 2009 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANNETTA.BELVIN

It saddens me greatly that they cancelled this show. It just goes to show that the people in charge don't have any taste in programming. I built my night around watching The Cleaner. Maybe they should reconsider? Or better yet, I hope a REAL station picks it up....one that appreciates good stories and realistic drama. Good-bye A&E, you were only good for the Cleaner and reruns from other channels.

September 28 2009 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply