April 16, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: Was the laughing scene at George's funeral realistic?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Sep 26th 2009 1:07PM
Grey's Anatomy - George's FuneralWhen Mary Richards burst out laughing at Chuckles the Clown's funeral, I could totally understand that. She's mortified, of course, and when the minister says it's ok, that laughter is what Chuckles would have wanted, Mary starts sobbing. It seemed both funny and realistic.

I was trying to decide if the laughing scene at George's funeral in this week's Grey's Anatomy was realistic, and I guess it is. No one really knows how grief will affect someone, and laughter is as good as any method of handling grief.

I mean, the whole thing was sort of crazy -- that George would be hit by a bus while saving someone. And then that "someone" would be crying more than anyone else at the funeral. No doubt, she was filled with guilt and grief over the whole thing.

And for us viewers, it was a nice relief from the sadness of George's death. After five seasons, I'm sort of grieving for him, too. Do you think the scene was realistic?

[Watch clips and episodes of Grey's Anatomy at SlashControl.]

Masha

Yes, I think it was realistic. Different people have different reactions to death and Izzie did mention having this kind of a eaction in the bomb episodes. I was very sad, bu I laughed too. :,(

October 31 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I congratulate you on making it this far in life without experiencing laughter at a funeral.

Anyway, yeah, completely realistic. If people aren't laughing at my funeral then they don't actually know me and probably should have stayed home.

October 03 2009 at 6:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DEE

the laughter was just shock in a WTF moment. Been there, when I was 15 I got the call my grandma died, I hung up the phone burst out laughing and annoced to everyone she was dead. Noone believed me for a couple minutes until I switched from laughter to tears.

September 29 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
googoogajoob

I don't know about everyone else but I thought it was realistic. But only because whenever I hear something shocking (like the death of someone) I begin to laugh uncontrollably. Which sucks because other people around me usually don't get that I am honestly sad and that I'm not finding it funny.

September 28 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Have you never been to an Irish families wake? OMG..we cry, we drink, and then we laugh.

September 28 2009 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Growing up I never really knew how to deal with grief, so I usually ended up laughing when people had died. This was especially embarrassing at my aunts wake as I started laughing in the middle of the ceremony. I think laughing is as good way of dealing with stuff as crying, we all deal with grief in different ways. The scene in Grey's reminded me of the scene in the 6th season finale of Buffy when Giles and Buffy spontanously starts laughing while talking about all the absurd and sad things that had happened the past year.

September 27 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katers

I remember a point at which I cried so much at my grandpa's funeral that it then turned to laughter. For me, this scene was insanely realistic, and was such a relief. We all know this show can mourn. We've had so many dead people to cry over that this seemed like such a breath of fresh air.

So many people are up in arms over the funeral laughter. I was one of the early George-lovers, so believe me, it was bittersweet to see him go. But, frankly, I can't imagine a BETTER way to remember someone-- with a smile rather than tears.

September 27 2009 at 2:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Sophy - The show aired Thursday night. It's been a couple of days. At that point, it's open season on what happens on any particular show. If you really don't want to be spoiled, then you shouldn't even be on the computer until you've watched the episode.

This comes up all the time, and 36 to 48 hours is plenty of time. We need to include key words in the post titles, not just to attract readers, but also for SEO purposes. "My thoughts on this week's Grey's Anatomy" wouldn't cut it.

September 26 2009 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sophy

Wow, you know, I made it all summer without spoiling myself for the Grey's season premiere. I worked HARD at it. I skimmed over anything Grey's related quickly so as not to catch a glimpse of anything. I shut friends up super fast when they brought the subject up. The episode is sitting on my DVR and I was probably going to watch it tonight. And then I happen to be going by reading this blog, and I see the title, scroll by quickly, but because THERE WAS A SPOILER IN THE BIG SUBJECT LINE OF THE POST I got spoiled for George dying. Thanks enormously for not just putting a simple subject line up like you did for other shows premieres with the show and episode title. Seriously. I wanted to wait all summer long avoiding everything about the subject just to be spoiled for the biggest plot point ever mere hours before sitting down to watch the episode. MRRRR.

September 26 2009 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sophy's comment
Alex

you don't have to go looking for grey's news. there is no way u saw this on accident, unless u were looking for something grey's related. if you didnt want to be spoiled dont go online and look at stuff and then blame this author for posting thier opinions and throw a fit how u were avoiding it, cuz u werent!

September 30 2009 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

At my 12 year old son's wake, after several days of being in a cloud, we all got in a circle and just started laughing. It was such a relief of emotions, I know how they felt. Things can be so tragic that laughing is just another way of crying. Both are high emotional outlets.

September 26 2009 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply