November 28, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Megan Fox/U2 (season premiere)

by Annie Wu, posted Sep 27th 2009 3:03AM
jenny_slate(S35E01) Alternate title for this post: "New girl's f-bomb overshadows Megan Fox's slammin' bod."

Yes, Saturday Night Live new girl Jenny Slate's f-bomb was the most thrilling part of the show's otherwise bland 35th season premiere. It's not like we've never heard that word before, and it's not like accidental verbal naughtiness has never happened on SNL (I still distinctly remember my extra-young self watching Cheri Oteri cringing as she contributed to the swear jar), but the pain still felt fresh with hot embarrassment.

This was partially due to the fact that it's just a generally bad thing to have happen on a player's first show (and in such a mediocre sketch, at that) but mostly because of this face that she made after she caught her boo-boo. Twitter exploded with people's camera phone pics of this one moment.

Jenny Slate, welcome to the big time.

Usually, featured players kind of lurk in the background or pop in for split-second lines and visual gags until a few months pass. Slate has been doing a bit on the Thursday "Weekend Update" specials, so maybe they let her slide by. I was surprised to see a brand-new featured player lead a new sketch so early in the season, and maybe that's the last time I'll see one for a while.

The jazzed up intro looked rather nice, throwing in more colors but maintaining the previous type treatment. All this probably unnecessary excitement around Slate made me forget that Darrell Hammond wasn't in the intro, even though he was in the last "Weekend Update" special. Elaborate fantasy sequences have already played out in my head with all the various ways Hammond could make a case against the new girl so that he can replace her. Leave those poor kids alone, Hammond that exists in my head! You've had enough. I bet even Tim Meadows thinks so.

There weren't any big stand-outs in this episode. Even the Digital Short wasn't particularly spectacular. I spent most of my time trying to figure out what Will Forte's voice sounded like. Shortly after he started whispering about his slaughtered lambs, I nailed it. "Truman Capote!" I triumphantly shouted to no one in particular.

Fox's work with Fred Armisen in the Russian bride skit was kind of cute, though safe. She also managed to pull off the sex line commercial, setting things up for Bill Hader's hilarious frozen face. "Biker Chick Chat" was sad, I must mention again, and it was that way before the slip (which she was kind of asking for, doing something with so many "frick"s). Kenan Thompson's wild gyrations throughout the episode were moderately funny, if only to see how he would creatively bang an invisible woman. As for "Weekend Update," Seth Meyers did a fine job this week. I'm glad they didn't push a co-anchor on him after Amy Poehler left; he's starting to do a really solid job of holding his own.

Megan Fox was an okay host, in the sense that she didn't screw up terribly in any way and looked good while doing it. She even managed to make me briefly forget she has thin but furious caterpillars for eyebrows. Simon Pegg (of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, the upcoming Paul) has been talking on Twitter about his casual visits to the SNL set, and it just made me extra-sad that he wasn't hosting the premiere or any foreseeable episode. Fox also did a lot -- a lot -- of super-slutty-looking characters. She could have afforded to step out of that hot girl comfort zone to win over some viewers. She managed to contribute Brian Austin Green (and a naked Bobby Moynihan [?]) for a quick end-of-the-night skit, too.

Oh, yeah, and the guys from U2 were there and there were lights and Bono looked kind of old and stuff. Right there, I just made it sound a lot more exciting than it really was.

Next week: Ryan Reynolds and Lady Gaga. Guess which one people will be tuning in to see for possible penis-flashing. Trick question! The answer is both.

Here are some video highlights from the evening (Hulu clips; sorry, non-Americans)...

[Watch episodes and clips of Saturday Night Live and other shows over at SlashControl.]

Jim

The cold open was pretty good, but the rest of the episode, including the digital shorts, was meh. The "frickin'" biker chick sketch was terrible, and I never need to see Jean K. Jean again.

It's disheartening to see the intro with only one woman (Kristin Wiig) in the full-time cast.

Last note: The posts about musical guests who have played three songs left out the first one I remember: Eric Clapton, circa 1990.

September 29 2009 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Was that Bono>? I thought robin williams was the musical guest.

September 28 2009 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TotallyNormal

Looks like they dubbed over the F-bomb with the word frickin' for the West Coast feed. No F-bomb to be heard, but the scene with the puffed cheeks is still there.

September 28 2009 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abdul

I'm pretty sure U2 was about to play a 4th song when they were cut off on the last time they were there for SNL.

I don't understand what Annie's point is of Bono looking old. He looks like what a 49 year old should look. Thats so vain. In 10 or 20 years, you're going to be old too Annie. We're all going to be old. That shouldn't prevent anyone from living life.

September 28 2009 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

No, longtime fans of SNL know that the F-bomb was first accidentally heard in the fifth season, by Paul Shaffer, no less, in a situation similar to Ms. Slate's -- a script overflowing with the substitute expletive "flogging." Rocket was the first to DELIBERATELY utter it, leading directly to his firing; Norm MacDonald also said it, and it's considered to be his Last Straw before being canned. Also, Morris Day of The Time thought he was being funny when he said it during one of his numbers. And I do recall Daniel J. Travanti referring to the running stunt where people phoned in to determine whether a lobster was going to be boiled alive at the end of the show by commenting that "people are paying fifty cents a call for this shit." So no, it's no novelty on SNL.

On the other hand, I think it's amazing that in 35 years no one has flashed the camera.

September 27 2009 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Jenny Slate wasn't the first SNL cast member to drop an F-bomb live on air. Back in 1981, cast member Charles Rocket said it during a live skit on air. Rocket was performing in a parody of the popular TV series Dallas and its infamous "Who Shot J.R.?" storyline. Rocket was sitting in a wheelchair, the victim of an assassination attempt, when he dropped the F-Bomb. "I'd like to know who the fuck did it."

Charles Rocket was fired from SNL for using the F-word. The Charles Rocket F-Bomb also led to the dismissal of SNL producer Jean Doumanian, who was chosen to succeed producer Lorne Michaels, who had left the show in 1980 only to return in 1985.

Here is the Charles Rocket SNL F-Bomb video from 1981:

September 27 2009 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sancty

I remember U2 did 3 songs on SNL during the Elevation Tour

September 27 2009 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sancty's comment
1iPete

Neil Young did a great 3 song performance in 89 and unlike most of the others, the 3rd song wasn't at the close of the show.

September 27 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonovox64921

Hello? U2's performance was the only redeeming part of the show. Bono looked old but, um, he IS old. They still rock though and that's why they're still filling stadiums, something almost NO OTHER band can do right now. I think that may be the 1st 3 song performance from a musical guest on SNL. Can't recall another.

September 27 2009 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to bonovox64921's comment
Tool

Jeez people get over it. You'd think she wipped out her tit and got all the holier-than-holy people riled up with that. Not that this would ever happen. Janet Jackson.

September 27 2009 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Not posting Hulu clips in your reviews any more?

September 27 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edward's comment
Annie W.

"Check back later in the day for video highlights from the episode!"

I wrote that post at 3AM, when Hulu clips weren't available yet.

September 27 2009 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply