October 26, 2014

Bored to Death boasts an impressive cast - are you watching?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Sep 28th 2009 11:35AM
Bored to Death - Jason Schwartzman and Ted DansonI've caught the first two episodes of HBO's Bored to Death, and while I'm not totally in love with the show (yet), the cast is impressive enough to keep me coming back for more.

The three main characters are Jonathan Ames (Jason Schwartzman), a struggling writer who leads a double life as a private detective; George Christopher (Ted Danson), the editor of Edition magazine and Jonathan's sometimes employer (and pot supplier); and Ray Hueston (Zach Galifianakis), a talented cartoonist who's Jonathan's best friend.

There's plenty of street creds in the other players, too, including Kristen Wiig, Jenny Slate, Heather Burns, Olivia Thirlby, and Trieste Kelly Dunn. Based on all of these folks, as well as the quirky film noir vibe, it seems like a can't-miss TV series. Let's put it this way: I've enjoyed the first two episodes, and will tune in for more to see where it goes.

Anyone else watching Bored to Death?

ProgGrrl

I'm totally digging the show so far. Definitely going to keep watching. I lost interest in Hung after 3 eps, but I have a better feeling about this one... It's Brooklyn hipster stoner slacker noir. Me likey.

September 30 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

And Parker Posey! How could you not list Parker Posey?
But I am watching the show and loving it. Hopefully the hipsters start watching it soon before it gets canceled.

September 29 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

This show was boring... not subtle.

- Boring characters (with the exception of the Zack best friend - he was in The Hangover). Jason Schwartzmann is one the LAMEST actors on tv/film. Zero charisma.

- Boring story. The fact that the lead character ran into his ex-gf and the subject of his investigation together could've been more exciting or drawn out. But the way he confronted both in the diner was poorly written.

- Olivia Thirby is so good looking. She really should be on the show more.

HBO has another horrible show to fill empty space. I just wish they would stop posting alleged "I LOVE IT" email promotions when the show hadn't been shown prior to the premiere. Didn't Sony get busted for stuff like this before?

September 29 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
6 replies to mb's comment
Justin

Do people just not get subtle humor? Apparently so because everyone flocks to worthless sitcoms and boring procedurals. TV viewers have gotten so lazy they can't accept a bit of a smart alec attitude with their television?

Bored to Death is great and it has the writing on the wall that once everyone finds their voice, it'll be even greater. That takes a few episodes for any new series.

But subtle is the name of the game. So sorry to all those people who need to be hit over the head with props, sight gags, and visual cues. It's sad to see what America's growing stupidity is leading to.

Not to mention, has no one ever watched noir? Bored to Death does a great job of mixing the classic genre with modern social graces. Keep your dumbed down shows--hopefully HBO lets us keep a smart, witty, and clever show amidst their starf--king riff raff and vampire lust.

September 28 2009 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Rogus

I am watching and loving it. there were so many moments in the second episode that just killed me. Kristen Wiig was great as the client. The whole colonic scene was great, just the looks on Zach Galifianakis' face alone had me rolling.

My favorite quote of the episode was when they were talking about who would be the top if they were lovers: "You would be the cow and I would be the little dog just barkin' at ya. woof woof woof."

September 28 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike Rogus's comment
scott

did you get high while i was getting my colonic??

September 28 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mattieu

Fantastic show. The subtle humor is hilarious.

September 28 2009 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheJangle

I loved the first episode. I thought it did everything a pilot should without falling victim to cheese and cliche. Jason's character was the perfect balance of crazy and narcissistic without really being self aware. And Ted Danson was brilliant in the bathroom. Elud you are sorrily dead wrong.

September 28 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Watched premiere and dumped it big time, regardless of the name talent, the lead's acting and show's directing produce Fail.

September 28 2009 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brad.sorensen

I loved the first episode. I thought in terms of a Pilot, it did everything it needed to do without falling victim to cliche and cheese. Jason's character is just crazy enough without being entirely self aware and I liked that. Also, Ted Danson was brilliant in the bathroom.

September 28 2009 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Sounds like a cool show, but I don't get that channel.

September 28 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply