September 17, 2014

Entourage: Scared Straight

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 28th 2009 11:59AM

Adrian Grenier and Kevin Dillon(S06E11) "E, I've had most of this town, so it was bound to happen that our trees would dabble in the same forest at some point." - Drama

One down and one to go in Entourage's sixth season - a season I should point out that started off incredibly strong and ended up flopping around like a dead fish after those first few stellar eps. However, last week's installment, "Berried Alive," redeemed much of what had been bad and for the most part, "Scared Straight" continued that trend.

With that in mind, there's at least a little excitement going in to next week's finale because we really don't know what's going to happen on a few fronts.

First off, there's Ari bid for Terrence's agency. While it looks like a done deal (Terrence seems pretty bent on selling it before his divorce from Melinda Clarke), there's obviously plenty that can go wrong. However, the potential consequences for others is what's really worth talking about.

Will Ari fire Lloyd or Adam Davies? What does this mean for Sloan's financial future? Sure, her dad will make bank on the deal, but what if the divorce drains him after the fact? Will Ari have the time to focus on Vince when he's now running what would be, as Andrew said, the biggest agency in the country?

Moving on to Drama, the idea of him not being an actor anymore is rather appealing. Seeing him get a regular job and try to make ends meet has lots of story potential. However, his health is a bit of an issue and now that he's suffered from Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, he's probably going to have to find just about the most stress free job possible. Don't want to have a real heart attack. I can't understand why he cracked so easily though - was Dean Cain really that threatening of a presence?

And speaking of the heart, Drama's ailment is also known as "broken heart syndrome" - so he might not be the only one at risk. Turtle doesn't seem like he's doing too well. Even though Jamie didn't technically break up with him, giving him the greenlight to see other people while she's away isn't exactly a vote of confidence in their relationship. Hands down, Turtle's story this season has been the most consistently enjoyable plot and seeing him get all teary eyed at the airport was just the icing on the cake. Poor guy.

A few more thoughts on "Scared Straight" --

• Was there any point to E's story in this episode? We know he's a relationship guy and we know he wants it to be with Sloan. Seeing him fool around and have an STD scare only to arrive at the obvious was pretty boring to sit through. I was still hoping Brittany, his assistant, would make a play for him though.
  • And speaking of making a play, I hope Turtle doesn't go after Brooke. She's just some sorority ditz who's getting off more on who Turtle has been with than Turtle himself.
  • Why was David Faustino even in this episode? Just an inside joke, referencing the fact that he's been in close to nothing in quite some time perhaps?

Anyway, that's all I got. Any predictions for the finale? Something has to go wrong for Vince as he prepares to leave for Italy and shoot the Ferrari pic, right?

Entourage Research

Hi,

Currently we are performing research about the TV show Entourage for the University of Amsterdam.
We would really appreciate it if you would like
to take part on our survey. It will take less than 5 minutes of your time.

On every 20 respondents a DVD box of Entourage will be rewarded!

Please visit the site www.enjoyentourage.com to join our survey.

Thanks!

October 16 2009 at 7:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erin

I guess the only way to make Vince relevant this season is to show him sleeping around with every girl in LA? I realize this might be pretty close to reality for a celebrity like him, but I'm really getting sick of seeing it.

I was happy to see Drama, E and Turtle get their own storylines this season, but it has mostly fizzled at this point. I'm interested to see what's in store for the finale.

September 29 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Entourage officially is now the douchebag of shows. The glitz, the glamour, trying to be cool.

"I find the Ari/Lloyd dynamic the most interesting thing on the show right now;" Thats about it really.

What worked the first 3 seasons was lost and now its just not cool.
This show has evolved into a male Sex and the City.
Lost is the inside baseball of the movie industry. Vince trying to get jobs and becoming a movie star.

IF THIS SEASON FINALE IS NOT GREAT, I AM DONE WITH THIS SHOW! End of Story.

September 28 2009 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I gotta say I like this season because of the LACK of Vince and the focus on the others..

September 28 2009 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

"I can't understand why he [Drama] cracked so easily though - was Dean Cain really that threatening of a presence?"

I suspect Drama's breakdown was a combination of factors creating a sort of 'perfect storm' - being out drinking the night before (and therefore not being as prepared as he could be for the audition); the shock of an unfriendly face in the director; the interruption by Dean Cain. More than anything else, tho, I'd think Drama was pushed over the edge by the fact that he'd gotten very comfortable at "Five Towns", and probably didn't fully grasp the reality of having to test for a role for the first time in three years. Toss in the fact that Johnny Chase is really a lot less secure than he lets on, and you've got a ticking timebomb.

I find the Ari/Lloyd dynamic the most interesting thing on the show right now; moreso because of Ari's impending buyout of TMA. I suspect Ari will realize the value of keeping Lloyd around - even through all the bluster and gay-bashing, I think Ari genuinely likes Lloyd and sees him as a protege, but currently feels betrayed by his 'defection' to Adam Davies.

Turtle should just pick up and move to NZ while JMS is shooting her series.

Eric...eh. Who cares already?

September 28 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Two things. I agree that the season started out great, died in the middle and is coming to a great ending. This has been the M.O. of Entourage for the last couple seasons so I guess we have to live with it. I would like to see the TMA buy-out play out for a few episodes, but I'm guessing that next season Ari will own it and that will be that.

Second, your speculation about Terrence selling TMA to Miller Gold and the potential impact on Sloan is intriguing. What if Sloan and E hook-up and then somehow E gains partial control of the combined Miller Gold TMA Agency? Could make sense given E's success in his new job.

September 28 2009 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply