July 31, 2014

Everything about Dexter is changing ... except the opening?!?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Sep 29th 2009 3:02PM
The opening titles to Dexter
Every now and again (mostly now), something small and insignificant will waft in front of my snark radar and won't go away until I point it out to someone. Right now, something with the new season of Showtime's Dexter has found its way through my skull and is gnawing on parts of my brain, and the only way to kill it is to expose it for the brain sucking parasite that it is. This is exactly like the first time I voluntarily watched Blossom.

So Dexter 4.0 kicked off last Sunday and the episodes I've seen are highly entertaining on just about every level (emotional, comic, spiritual, etc.). It's interesting watching Dex play the role of daddy in a non-fun stepfather kind of way while trying to juggle the needs of his dark side, which lead him and his other relationships down all sorts of roads you don't see coming.

It's feels like I'm watching a really f-ed up version of The Dick Van Dyke Show, only Mel's not there because he discovered Rob was the Bay Harbor Butcher and Rob's old high school sweetheart blew Mel up in order to save Rob and tear him away from Laura and Ritchie.

Now that Dexter's new life is unfolding before our very eyes, something is chewing away at me: the opening.

First off, it's a great opening. It's easily in my personal "Top Five" list of the greatest TV openings of all time. It's shot in this ultra-creepy close up real time mode that's doubly creepy when you realize the things Dexter is doing are probably things that you do everyday (if you're a girl and you have to shave the way Dexter does everyday, then it's probably three times as creepy ... for me at least).

It's the very end of the opening that's gnawing at me. We see Dexter slowly pulling a key out of a deadbolt lock. Then the shot goes wide and there's Dex strolling away from his domicile in his happy-go-lucky mask, ready to take on the day. Except the domicile in this picture is still his apartment. He moved to the burbs at the beginning of the fourth season so he and Rita could have more room for the kids and the new baby without having to live on top of each other like crates on a loading dock.

I know Dexter hasn't completely given up his old apartment since he needs a place to store his blood slides and research his kills, but he's still eating breakfast and getting ready for the day before he leaves his apartment. Shouldn't that shot end with him leaving his new house? Is he going back in time suddenly or something? Are the writers going to weave some bizarre Slaughterhouse Five time warp structure into the narrative? Is there something bigger in my life that I should be complaining about right now?

So I asks ya...

Should the opening credits of "Dexter" reflect its times?
Hell yes!205 (34.7%)
Hell no!259 (43.8%)
What the hell are you talking about?127 (21.5%)

[Watch clips of Dexter and other shows at SlashControl.]

Kris Buck

i thought he was going to comment on the dexter brand deadbolt he locks his apartment with. but i dont think this person had a clue what he was talking about or could stay on point.

November 15 2013 at 3:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dexter Denver

Wow! The opening was great. Hopes Dexter will continue to produce until season 5, 6, and 7 as well..

October 08 2009 at 5:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse

Please think before writing next time. This post was unnecessary and ridiculous, not to be mention terribly flawed.

Now, once we see where this season takes us, a re-working on the opener might work for season 5 - IF the focus of the show changes to a family, suburbanite dad by day and serial killer by night.

However, Dexter is still "alone" in this world and until he can trust Rita with his secret (if ever) the opening should remain him and his routines/apartment.

September 30 2009 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

People who sit around on the internet telling other people that they have "too much time on their hands" (TMTOH) clearly have too much time on their hands.

Seriously, you're reading a website about TV shows and you're trying to insult the person who wrote a blog entry by positing that HE has too much time on his hands? Talk about hypocrisy. TMTOH is internet shorthand for having no life and not having sex (since American culture equates having sex with having a life - even nasty 600 pound sweaty, greasy, pimply, smelly, hairy sex validates most persons' existences). In that respect, TMTOH is the ultimate American insult - it implicitly states "your life is less meaningful than my life."

Why do so many people believe an objective determination of the value of someone's life can be determined merely by virtue of the fact that he/she spent 10 minutes writing something relatively unimportant on the internet? "You wasted 10 minutes doing something that I wouldn't do, therefore you have TMTOH and thus have no life... but I do have a life because I would not have spent 10 minutes of MY LIFE writing what you wrote on the internet."

Typically, TMTOH responses are nothing more than a mean way of displaying annoyance or disagreement with the subject matter of the original post. You see it most frequently on political blogs. Someone writes a 200 word post about abortion, and within 30 seconds the people who disagree with that person's position on abortion are spouting off about how the writer has "too much time on his/her hands."

One could go so far as to posit this is a corollary to Godwin's Law ("As an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"). I posit that as an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of someone saying the original poster has too much time on his/her hands approaches 1.

In conclusion, everyone posting on the internet who is not getting paid has too much time on their hands. Having too much time on your hands is a great luxury and you should be thankful for it. It's better to be wasting time on the internet, sitting in your underwear eating a candy bar than toiling in a coal mine, covered in soot and coughing up black mucous. And it's worth noting that posting on the internet and having sex are not mutually exclusive - I could be getting a blowjob right now as I'm typing this. Thus I have too much time on my hands, plenty of fun on my penis, and an objectively meaningful life - how's that for a mindfuck!

September 30 2009 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Enbee

no, i do not. the opener is just that... telling the basic premise for the story in 30 seconds or less (don't quote me on the time). the basic premise does not change .. even though certain details might... like a new character, or moving their residence as you suggested. the only time i might be more flexible with this, would be if there was a primary character change. (which in this case does not even apply, as he is the ONLY character in the opening). therefore, forget i said anything except "no, i do not".

September 30 2009 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

I guess it's just you and I. It annoyed me too. Actually, this would have been a perfect opportunity to make the slight variation that played in the show part of the full opening, with a few small variations underscoring before each episode how his situation has changed. But whatever.

September 29 2009 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Why on earth fool with perfection?

You could argue that Dexter's final "pretend to be human" face is fake now, too, that he's actually developing real feelings, and no longer faking them. But...

Why fool with perfection?

September 29 2009 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I still love ya, Danny. A more updated change might be nice but I accept the shot of him leaving his old apt. as it's where the secret side of "his work" and his souveniers are. Morning shot or not, it's a huge part of Dexter.

September 29 2009 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

The opening credits always make me hungry for eggs and ham with ketchup...my friends think I am disturbed.

September 29 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cheryl's comment
Ashley Boyd

I never liked donuts until I started watching the show.

The manner in which food, death and normality are interlinked in the show is quite interesting.

September 29 2009 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Niraj

By the way, the title sequence (and music) won them an Emmy.

September 29 2009 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply