April 18, 2014

Heroes: Ink

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 29th 2009 1:20AM
Heroes(S04E03) Let's talk candidly. After all, it looks like you and I are the only ones left watching this show. Remember the good old days when Heroes was the top-rated show on NBC and all the talk at the proverbial water coolers? It feels like it was only three years ago.

It's a shame that it looks like this ratings erosion is a permanent one, as tonight was a good installment. Unless things turn around immediately, it's a pretty safe bet this will be the last volume of Heroes. They need to sneak in some stunt casting or film a live episode or whore the stars out to all the talk shows relentlessly if they want to save the show. If they want to.

Robert Knepper's Samuel continues to be one of the most interesting new characters we've seen in a long time. After last week's skips around the world to touch base with almost everyone, this week we settled down and focused on three storylines. Of the three, the Parkman segments surprised me by being absolutely brilliant.

Matt's been pretty boring and annoying of late. The best thing that happened to the character, apparently, was getting a bit of Sylar's psyche trapped in his skull. Not good for Matt, but good for us. As I was watching Sylar totally screw with Parkman's mind in that dope kid's house, I realized what a great villain Matt would make. Certainly better than Mohinder was, who remains thankfully MIA.

If Sylar isn't an independent consciousness in there, then Parkman has already lost it. The way Sylar manipulated what Parkman was seeing in the house to the point where it was either Parkman use his ability to twist his own partner's mind around, or watch his entire life fall apart. An absolute master stroke for Sylar. And brilliant writing. Sylar is just as menacing without any of his powers. Granted, he used Matt's power, but even so.

As for Samuel, he went after Peter this week. I'm not sure what his game plan is still, but he used his powers to great affect in working over Peter. He explained his ability as the power to move the earth but he can work ink as well, in many ways apparently. He injected a bit of it into Peter and revealed the compass to him.

But, the masterstroke came after he lied to Peter about being on the bus. He then snuck into Peter's apartment and "drew" himself into the newspaper photo with the ink he'd absorbed earlier that day. Again, I'm not yet sure why he's done this, as he subsequently dropped the lawsuit against Peter. Was it just to encourage Peter to keep saving lives? He seems to want to push people into doing certain things, as we saw last week with Hiro.

If there was any confusion about what kind of a person he was, I think that was cleared up when he leveled the house he'd grown up in via a sinkhole simply for denying him entrance. His remorse and emotional distress over his brother's death seems genuine enough. He's a wonderfully complex character already.

The third storyline was less interesting, but only marginally so since I'm convinced there's a connection between Gretchen and Samuel. Which means I am paying close attention to everything that's going on, and particularly to Gretchen. Nothing ever goes smoothly for Claire, and I expect this to be no exception.

Other than that possible future relevance, though, this is all things we've already seen with Claire. She's opened up and revealed herself to Gretchen and she'll more than likely pay for it. Unfortunately, not with her life. She's still trying to be an independent woman and find herself and she still has dear old dad wanting to protect her. It's all rather blah-blah-blah.

But, I loved the introduction of the deaf woman who can apparently "see" sound. The nurse said it was common among deaf people, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what she meant. Somehow I doubt it. Any deaf people want to chime in and let us know if you see anything remotely like what she did with the cello? Not to mention that she could suddenly play it, even if she was faking it. Vibrato in the sound but none in her fingers? Not likely.

[Check out clips and full episodes of Heroes on SlashControl.]

Jay

Synesthesia is an actual "condition" where the brain crosswires the senses.
Sound->colour synesthesia is listed here although I'm willing to bet that there is more than this going on in Heroes.

October 01 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

The best storyline so far is the one between Sylar and Parkman. Unlike most people, I like Matt Parkman and to echo Jason comment I think Parkman would make a great villain. I start to get this feeling every since last season. I think once Sylar gets his body back I think him and Parkman could make a great duo. The writers would have to come up with a way to remove Sylar need for killing his victims in order to make this work though.

I really am having a hard time understanding the importance of the deaf women power. Everyone of heroes/villains power could be used to save lives or create havoc but I don't see how her power could be used in a fight or to save lives.

September 30 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Shaxe

Anyone know what the cello song is?

September 29 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Dear Heroes ,

Please kill off Gretchen immediately, you should have taken care of her the same way Claire's roommate was killed. Swiftly and in the first episode.

p.s. Kill Hiro also, I mean really he has been on the same thing for like 4 yrs now.

September 29 2009 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Am I the only having trouble getting past T-Bag?

When Samuel was tying his necktie, all I could think about is how hard that would be with only one hand....

September 29 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tim's comment
Dinu

I think he's doing a good job with the part as he's a strong actor, but his Irish(?) accent is ridiculous as it's there sometimes and gone at others. That's the only part of the performance that drives me a bit batty. I do enjoy the character though, and the strange collective he seems to have assembled.

September 29 2009 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

When discussing the show with my girlfriend or sister I can't help but refer to him as T-Bag. It's just how we know him. That said, I absolutely LOVE him so far on Heroes.

I could be wrong on this but wasn't the Irish accent just to mess with Peter?

September 29 2009 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Has Parkman EVER had a good storyline? I know people love Sylar, but not sure we need that forced 20minutes of him and Parkman.

I was hoping for a little more from the accusations against Peter; that he caused the accident. It would be interesting to see how he dealt with real-life repercussions of being too good, but it looks like that issue was resolved.

Claire: Same crap, different day. Repetitive. We get it. Claire's not a girl, not yet a woman.

Again, the Circus storyline has big potential, but they're taking their sweet time in getting to the interesting stuff by swamping us down with more of the same repetitive baggage which made the last two seasons underwhelm.

I don't think the show has gotten any darker that in years past, I mean they had cheerleaders getting decapitated in Season 1, among tons of other deaths.

September 29 2009 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

I wanted to enjoy your review today but those first 2 paragraphs have me sooo bummed. It is an amazing show! UGH! Such good characters and stories...

Instead of Heroes, Lost and Dollhouse (most likely) next season we can look forward to either another Cop Drama, Medical Drama, or "America thinks you can dance with the amazing racing biggest losers: celebrity edition"
Awesome...

September 29 2009 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

For some reason I was totally into the deaf girl and her powers. I want more of her.

September 29 2009 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

Have you guys not seen Samuel touch people and then they saw a 'tattoo' before. He does it all the time with tattoo girl, but he's also done it with super speed knife-wielding guy (when he chokes him via an ink hand), Peter did NOT overtake his ability. . .if Peter would have known right away, he wouldn't have been able to do the super speed thing anymore (remember he loses the previous power when his overtakes an new one).

September 29 2009 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jables

"Peter saw the compass because he overtakes abilities."

Have they said if this ability is voluntary or involuntary?

September 29 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jables's comment
jason

This had to be the worst episode Ever. I could barley keep my eyes open. I thought Noah was stabbed pretty badly last episode, but apparently hes fine. Unbelievable!

September 29 2009 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply