November 26, 2014

I'm from New England but I don't understand the new McDonald's commercial

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 29th 2009 1:25PM
McDonald'sYou've probably seen the new McDonald's commercial (couldn't find any video, unfortunately) for the special New England-only blend of the Newman's Coffee that they sell (or maybe the ad is only shown in New England?). It's actually a fun, clever ad, especially if you're from the area and you know the slang terms the two guys utter. I was born and raised in New England but even I'm stumped by one of the terms the two guys talk about.

I get the parts about a "bubbler" (drinking fountain), a "packy" (package store or liquor store), "jimmies" (sprinkles) and the Blizzard of '78 and gross Manhattan clam chowder. But one guy asks the other guy "New York or 'Chusetts?," and the other guy answers "Connecticut." What the hell does that mean? I've never heard that before, and I'm not even sure what the first guy is even referencing. (I've asked two other local people and they're confused too.)

So, fellow New Englanders...little help?

Update: a reader found the video:

Darren Stevens

Newyorkachusetts refers to CT because it's neither New York nor Massachusetts but its people act a little like the other 2 states. The southwestern part of the state that's within reasonable commuting distance to NYC is the "Newyork" part, and the rest is most like the various parts of MA with which it borders and is the "achusetts" part.

May 17 2014 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lgb383

I think they're referring to Yankees/Red Sox, and if you're from CT you can be either. Fairfield County has more Yankees. Hartford area has more Red Sox.

December 09 2012 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lgb383

I think they are referring to Yankees, Red Sox and if you are from CT you get half and half.

December 09 2012 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

CT aka "New-York-a-chusetts"

September 28 2011 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MyNameIs

To BobA; the question is "ball slowly rolls past" answer first base. You people really need lives if you can't understand a bunch of actors playing like they have a New England accent (which by the way, is not an accent since we were here prior to most of the rest of the country)

December 20 2009 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MyNameIs

It is not New York or Chusetts, it is Newyorkachusetts which is a play on Massachusetts. You are an idiot for writing this, open your ears and listen. You can not really be a New Englander if you do not understand ENGLISH.

December 20 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MyNameIs's comment
MyNameIs

BobA: When they refer to New England they actually mean Massachusetts, most of us do not consider CT or RI to actually be part of New England, you are way to close to New York and the states house way too many Yankees fans. Anyone with any knowledge of New England would know that any question to which the answer was first base would somehow involve Billy Buckner (Not bill) and game 6 of the 1986 World Series. BTW I am not a baseball fan and I did not have to look that up, but instead it was told to us in school, in college and by our parents.,

December 20 2009 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren Stevens

What a horrible thing to say to someone.

May 17 2014 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bryan

All of you are pretty dumb and were not brought up in New England.I understood both commercials and every slang they came out with..They could have 5 other commercails like this no problem...New Yorkachusetts", is Connecticut .The only state that would be kicked out of New England,because of there sports.So i think all of you should move there and learn the New York Slang!!!!

December 11 2009 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bryan's comment
BobA

Sure, bryan. We're all dumb! Hmm...I've lived in Rhode Island since the day I was born! I thought that meant that I was brought up in New England. Oh well, never too old to learn something new! Oh, BTW - if you truly "understood both commercials and every slang they came out with", you'd have given us the answer. Are you sure that WE are the dumb ones?

To everyone else, I will answer my own question from above. I e-mailed McDonald's marketing department and asked them about this. Today, I received a reply from one of the Marketing Managers of the Boston region. She says, "The man in the TV commercial you're referring to says "Ball slowly rolls past...." and she answers "1st base"."

She also remarked that while she isn't a big sports person, she believes the reference to be to a "Bill Buckner play from the Red Sox."

Mystery solved!

December 14 2009 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LJ

MIke and KevinInChains have it right... There is a big dividing line re: team loyalties within CT (Boston vs. New York teams - particularly Sox vs. Yanks). And while I can sort of see the confusion with "Newyorkachusetts" vs, "New York or 'Chusetts", given the whole "R pronounced as ah" thing... Vijay and Gilbert M., I hate to say it but I think you're WAY wrong on the whole "Where ya from?" theory... sorry! Good guess though!

December 08 2009 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I believe this question is something about a ball rolling by, perhaps a Bill Buckner reference? The incident happened at first base. He really does ask it too fast. Unfortunately the only videos of this ad on line are a New York version. Only someone making a New York version of a New England ad would use a Buckner reference.

December 03 2009 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elle

I am new to New England and have had to have many phrases translated for me. As explained to me:
Newyorkachussetts = New York + Massachussetts = Connecticut: a state which is a blend of the cultures of New York and Massachusetts, effectively not having a culture of its own.

That said, saw the new version of this commercial this morning.. the question War Chest Her? The answer: Woo stah. has anyone found the video?

November 25 2009 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply