August 20, 2014

Primeval fights off extinction to return for two more seasons

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 29th 2009 5:25PM
PrimevalWhen ITV canceled their hit series Primeval, I was baffled. This was the top-rated show on BBC America, and it was a pretty solid hit worldwide as well. Apparently, I was right about that, though, as BBC Worldwide and German ProSeiben are part of a complex deal that enabled the show to go back into production.

If only there were an organizaton like that that could step in every time a network axes a sci-fi show on a massive cliffhanger, like Primeval was. Even better, the renewal gives the series two new seasons at 13 episodes each. We're going to have to wait until 2011 to find out how Connor and Abby get out of that tree, but that's better than never finding out.

Unlike the Jericho renewal of a few years back, this deal doesn't include any reductions in budget of any kind, so not only will they be able to keep the entire cast intact, the effects budget remains untouched. I'm glad to hear that, as I don't think I was ready for men in rubber suits chasing the crew around.

Alexis

This was a great show! I was furious when the cancelled it with such a cliff hanger! Now, we get to see where the writers take us.

I also agree, Douglas Henshall as Nick, should be brough back as well. Maybe as a result of Hellen's being killed back then!?!?!?

October 01 2009 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdk

I always watched to see the little blonde who always found some reason to walk around her apartment in her undies. But by the 3rd season, even that didn't hold my interest anymore. It's like Heroes, the show just ran out of steam, let it die already.

September 30 2009 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott K.

I was very happy to read that, though I would like it to come back sooner. I do agree that Cutter was the soul of the show and it is lesser without him, but I still like it. Great show!

September 29 2009 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

This was a really interesting series in seasons 1 and 2, but the quality if the writing in season 3 just wasn't up to that level. With this reprieve I hope we'll get better quality stories.

September 29 2009 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Sadly it's two new seasons totaling thirteen episodes between them -- S4 with seven episodes, S5 with six.

September 29 2009 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scifi.lefemme

Finally! Something worth watching actually gets as save! Can't wait

September 29 2009 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leo M.

hey Jason, it's ProSieben (i before e)

September 29 2009 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

2011?! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

September 29 2009 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Woohoo!!!

I still love it, and there's always a chance someone will choose to use a portal to "rewrite history" as far as Cutter is concerned. The joy of a time travel style show is you can always undo damage that has been done to a show.

September 29 2009 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aston

Let it die. After they killed off Cutter there was nothing left of this show. He was the heart and soul...

September 29 2009 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply