August 22, 2014

Reality show math: Jon & Kate Plus 8 minus Jon = Kate Plus 8

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 29th 2009 6:01PM
Jon and KateJon is no longer going to be part of Jon & Kate, not in the marriage and not in the show.

TLC has announced that Jon Gosselin is leaving the reality show. Guess the spotlight got to be too much for him, plus the show turned into a depress-fest since their battles and separation. Jon will be written out of the show in a few weeks when his character, "Jon Gosselin," vanishes.

OK, just kidding on that last part. But I'm sure they'll have a "Special Episode" with his departure. The new show starts in November.

NightOwl

I agree with shadowracer. I also watched part of a mini-marathon, before the marital troubles became such a huge story. Kates treatment of Jon was horrible and easily qualifies her as an abusive spouse. She was/is controling in the extreme and constantly treated and talked to Jon in a very demeaning and disrespectful manner. Apologists for Kate like to say that she had to take a firm hand with Jon because he was immature and lazy and "like a ninth child". I am not going to make any comments in support of Jons' maturity, because clearly he is lacking in that area, but no one deserves to be subjected to the abuse he suffered. Granted, I did not watch a lot of episodes, but what I saw in the ones I watched were that Jon was usually actively involved in doing something with the kids, or with some chore or other, while Kate was off to the side, micromanaging and criticising Jon at every turn, but contributing little to the task at hand herself. I got the feeling that it didnt matter what Jon did or how he did it, Kate would find fault in it and demand it be done her way, not because her way was an improvement, but because it just had to be her way.
Jons' behaviour since the split has not been good, but you can kind of see how he would go a little wild after finally getting out from under the smoothering influence of Kate. Hopefully he will finally get his head on straight and conduct himself better.
I also agree that there seems to be a plan afoot to rehabilitate Kates image for the sake of future projects. But I am not buying into it. I saw how she really is and am not interested in anything she is involved with.

October 01 2009 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

I have never watched even :05 seconds of this show, so i have a question? What is so appealing about watching parents raise their kids? Is it just that they have 8 kids? Lot of people have ton of kids.

September 30 2009 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Viv's comment
shadowracer

Ok one time I was bored, so I watched a mini-marathon(influenced by clips from the soup). Kate is total bitch, so is the little girl Maddy(it's true, she's terrible).So anyway, Kate treated Jon like sh!t in the episodes, every single one - at some point in any episode should would treat him like a second class citizen.

It was hilarious and infuriating, like the housewives series only not fun to watch.

Watch the first seasons and you'll understand exactly why he's doing what he's doing.

September 30 2009 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

I've never watched the show, but from what the kool aid drinkers have said it should have went away long ago.

The reason for it to stay with her and the kids, is that they are trying to make her look REAL GOOD for a talk show. With her being a fill in on The View many times, with her talking major smack about Jon, hell aal of the talking major smack about Jon . Walters is trying to clean her up to make more money.

September 30 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

And when that doesn't work, what'll they try? "Plus Eight Minus Kate"?

Get a clue, TLC.

September 29 2009 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eileen's comment
emerilguy

I don't see the show lasting past this season. part of the draw in the first place was watching kate rag on Jon! Now it's just a single mom raising a lot of kids, that's not as appealing judging by the last couple episodes.

October 02 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply