September 1, 2014

NCIS: Reunion

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 30th 2009 12:35AM
NCIS_Gibbs_DiNozzo_Ziva
(S07E02)
After last week's action packed NCIS, you might think that tonight's episode would be more sedate. Not really. There was a gruesome murder scene at the open, and plenty of mystery involving a cop who was out for revenge, but all that was a backdrop for something far more interesting. Ziva's return to the fold. More after the jump.

The rescue mission in North Africa was only step one in Operation Ziva, and like peeling back the layers of an onion, getting Ziva recommissioned to NCIS was going to require peeling them back one by one. Gibbs kicked the responsibility of her reactivation to Leon, but you knew that ultimately, Ziva would have to deal with Jethro. He would be the final decision-maker.

Vance's orders were for a psych evaluation, which Ziva aced. Rebuilding bridges with McGee, Abby and Tony were more complicated. Tim was typical McGee; he let her do most of the talking, accepted her thanks, but asked her a salient question or two that pierced her tough armor. Abby's reaction was pure emotion and the voice of the fans. She blasted Ziva for ever doubting Tony's motives in gunning down Rivkin, but being Abby, she played out both sides of the argument and couldn't blame Ziva for responding as she did. Abby's affection for Ziva was unquestionable, though, and when she hugged Ziva, there were theatrics to accompany it.

How wild was it that Ziva's confrontation with Tony came while he was at a urinal! She must have used those Mossad stealth moves to sneak up on him like that. Their discussion was intense, with Ziva claiming that she wasn't sure what to say. However, when she put her hand between his hands and moved in closer, body language was saying a lot. There's definitely more than friendship there and they both know it. A kiss on the cheek was just a preview.

For Ziva, all these relationships are complex because of her issues with trust. Ari and Michael abused her trust. Will she let herself really trust Tony and Gibbs, or is she "damaged goods" as Vance suggested? Ziva admitting she was wrong to Tony was a good start.

Ziva's toughest reunion was with Gibbs. She basically had to admit that Jethro is her father figure now because Eli has betrayed her. Who knows what really happened when Gibbs left her in Israel between father and daughter? Did he send her on a mission that would result in her death? Gibbs had to be sure that he hadn't been played by her, that she had killed Ari, her brother, not as part of a mission to win Gibbs' trust, but because Gibb's life was on the line. The satisfying ending was when the reunion was complete; Ziva was back at her desk and the team was reunited.

Other points of interest
• What happened to Jethro's boat and how did they get it out of the basement?
• Ducky needs more air time; I wanted Ziva to have a scene with him.
• The video of Shelley getting tortured in high school was spot on. I'd have wanted revenge on the people who did that to me.
• That telephone booth was truly an antique.
• Did you catch McGee playing with the touch screens like the NCIS: LA guys have?

To catch up with last week's episode and a bunch of NCIS clips, check out the new AOL site, SlashControl.

BEEJAY

I think Ziva still has issues and used her Masaad training to pass the psych exam even tho she isnt 100% yet. We dont know how long she was captive even though she was gone for a total of 3 months. I got the impression that she is no longer Masaad officer but is now special agent David. She seems to have cut all ties with her father because Vance had to talk to him. I think we are in for a lot of fun this season. Ducky will get his say yet.

October 02 2009 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

Did anyone get the impression that Ziva was maybe going for a little more than a kiss on the cheek and changed her mind when Tony did nothing? Either ways, it'll be interesting to see how their relationship progresses and how her psychological problems affects everything. Full review of the episode.

September 30 2009 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I love NCIS, but wonder why they can't go back to investigating cases that aren't terrorist and/or Massaad.

September 30 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

I LOVE this season! I'm impatient for more Tony/Ziva! Can't bring myself to continuously use the word 'Tiva'.

September 30 2009 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

Oh by the way there will be an episode that deals with what happened to Jethro's boat. I love the new season so far, instead of just being Law & Order and having new case a week, there has been very strong character development.

And it's good to see Tvsquad finally acknowledge the highest rated drama on TV.

September 30 2009 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

Yea! Reviewing NCIS! I hope it keeps up.

Ziva didn't ace her psych exam, she "didn't flunk it". It'll get brought back up in a future episode.

I liked the episode, but like another poster said, there is something... off about this season. I hope it's just because I have been ODing on the reruns on USA.

September 30 2009 at 7:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alicia R.'s comment
Alana

I don't think it's "off" so much as different. Usually we start the season with your typical murder to solve and the characters being their usual happy go lucky selves. It's a little hard to jump into the routine when you've had an episode in which one of your main characters has been held captive for three months.

I do think starting with next week's episode we will settle back into the routine we all so dearly love. Having said that, I have liked the first two episodes very much. They were great character building episodes and give us an overarching plot for the rest of the season.

Thank you TVSquad for reviewing NCIS!

September 30 2009 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

There was a scene in the finale where Ducky goes to see Gibbs and the boat's gone. Ducky asks how and Gibbs gets snippy: "you gonna ask me every time?"

It's telling, since Gibbs seems to build boats with/in relation to the women in his life and then get rid of them when they leave (or die). He didn't, that I remember, get rid of a boat when Kate died, but did when Ziva left. Perhaps he feels as strongly for her as she does him.

September 30 2009 at 6:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to hubris's comment
E

Actually he builds boats and names them after his ex-wives then burns them. I don't think he does it for every person who leaves him. (That would be a ton of boats.)

September 30 2009 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

No, that's not it. He built one and named it after an ex-wife then burned it because he couldn't bear anyone else sailing it.

One of his other boats was named after his daughter, Kelly. No mention of what he did with that one, yet.

September 30 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scot

Ugh...I didn't like this episode. Maybe I ought to just not watch for the whole season then catch-up right before the finale? There's something different this season and I can't quite put a finger on it, but the acting is sub-par compared to all prior seasons. Everything seems so manufactured.

Still one of the best shows on television.

September 30 2009 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

McGee was only pretending ... that is what made it funny ... he is jealous of the LA bunch

September 30 2009 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply