October 23, 2014

Will The Young and the Restless really kill off Victor Newman?

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 30th 2009 11:00AM
eric_braeden_CBSIs it even possible to imagine The Young and the Restless without Eric Braeden as hero/villain Victor Newman? You would think not, but then Days of Our Lives moved on without Deidre Hall as Dr. Marlena Evans, didn't it? Still, Braeden and his alter ego Victor is still a front and center presence on the show, an integral part of the storytelling. Therefore, the news that The Young and the Restless is contemplating killing off Victor if they cannot resolve the contract dispute with Braeden is a shocker.

Braeden is working now under a contract that lasts till 2010, and his reps have said that he would take a pay cut once the term is up. However, producers are asking him to take a pay cut now. That, my friends, is the rub. Braeden wants to help the show stay on the air, but he's not ready to take an economic hit until he has to. That's understandable.

Of course, the show has the power to simply write him out or recast. The latter would be very difficult because the Victor Newman character is larger than life, and Braeden's been the only actor to ever play the role. He's been on the soap since 1980. Currently, the character has been shot three times and is going to need a heart transplant to survive. He will get the heart and go on vacation with Nikki (Scott's character). She could return with a new actor in the role, or he could die off screen.

Hmm ... if you were thinking like a producer looking to cut your losses, this would be the perfect opportunity to kill off the character. He even has an evil son, Adam, who might be able to grow into the role of the next villain you love to hate. Also, Y&R has put out a casting notice for a character named Tucker who sounds very much like Victor. Was Tucker just a covert way to conduct a recast?

My guess is that a compromise will be reached and Braeden will remain on the show. It's a cold, cruel world out there and Eric's too smart to give up a good gig on the number one rated daytime drama. Of course, I thought Deidre would remain with Days, too, so go figure!

By the way, if you'd like to catch up with Y&R, check out episodes at AOL's new site, Slashcontrol.

Patricia

There is no Y & R if victor is killed off. I have been watching this show for over 15 years and so has my family in Guam......... he is the best character and keeps our interest....however, very disappointed when you switch Adam, the new one just cut the cake......

October 27 2009 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacqui

I have watched Young and Restless since its beginnings. I no longer watch it. Giving Sharon's baby to Ashly was the last straw. Seeing Nick with Phyliss who was as evil as Adam, now supposedly reformed, doesn't make it for me. If Sharon and Nick get their baby back and Nick leaves Phyliss for Sharon, I will watch the show again. For now, I quit. Also, having someone else play Eric Braden's Victor is suicide for the show.

October 15 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti Brewer

Keep Eric on and get rid of Deacon and Adam. Change the idiotic story lines before more viewers are even more insulted by the writing and start dropping off like flies. Phantom pregnancy AND labor???? Delivered by a partially blind man who just happens to have another baby handed to him? And what parent doesn't take time to see their baby, no matter how "deformed" or doesn't even make the arrangements themselves? Then blind man just happens upon baby ashes? Give me a break!

October 11 2009 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen Skidmore

Victor should not be written out of Y&R. I have watched "almost" everyday since Y&R came on the air.
Adam is the one that should be written OUT. An as far as one "crazy" person how can you have Adam, Ashley (not even knowing she wasn't having a baby) and Mary Jane all at the same time!!???? Really isn't that a bit much.
It won't be the same if Victor is gone.

October 10 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robinsutom

I think a mental pt. wrote the story line about Sharon's baby dying. Why would u go to a mental hosp to have a baby!!!I'm also so sick of Adam. Come on this story line has gotten so old. Also with no Victor, there is no Y and R!!!

October 10 2009 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJB

Is the petition working??
Just tried to sign/leave comment and get a blank page after submission. Viewing signatures shows blank, numbered lines??

Anyway.......
Before I ever heard of this underhanded scheme I was discussing with someone how there are certain characters---and there are only a handful, mind you!--that can NEVER be replaced by another actor or actress---not successfully. There is simply no one who could fill their shoes....no one with the same flair, attitude, skill, personna, heart, and give-it-their-all dedication to that character.
The character of Victor Newman is one of these select few characters.
Eric Braeden IS Victor Newman to millions of fans. No one else could possibly take his place in that character, no matter how skilled they may be.
And killing off the character because they couldn't bring him to heel would be such dirty pool. >:o(
Pay the man what you agreed to---his contract should stand until it's time to re-negotiate.
And he is worth every cent.

October 08 2009 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane Perry

If they write Eric Braeden out of the show I will stop watching I am so sick of Adam getting away with his crap and his latest taking Sharon's baby and giving it to Ashley. I want them to hurry and find out sharon's baby didn't die and give it back to her.

October 07 2009 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Priscilla

It's not even worth watching to 'see the thoughtless things' that run thru his evil mind. I don't even like him as an actor!!

October 06 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Eric Braeden should stay as Victor, but the character of Adam, who is pure evil, needs to go. Many viewers are turned off by the baby snatching episode perpetuated by this character and many viewers will leave Y&R if he's not eliminated from this show.

October 06 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pauline Torres

How can the writers be so cruel about what happened to Sharon's baby. Maybe with Collen's heart Victor will change but if he doesn't come back it wouldn't be the same without him. I think it is ridicules about the storyline of the baby. Come on do you think the people are stupid about the delivery.

October 01 2009 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pauline Torres's comment
Priscilla

I'm glad someone else felt like you did. How does having a baby go un noticed by mental hospital employees!??!??? Not one but TWO women go into "labor" and Adam and his creepy doctor friend are the only ones aware of it!!!! How CRUEL to do that baby swith~!!~~~~~

October 06 2009 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply