September 23, 2014

Beck can't explain his own explanation about Obama

by Danny Gallagher, posted Oct 1st 2009 11:00AM
Glenn BeckEvery time I watch a TV talking head like Glenn Beck, I usually walk away with the same thought I had every time I walked out of my economics class in college: "What the hell were they talking about?"

That's because there isn't anything journalistic or scientific about their pontifications. It's all "gut talk," particularly Beck who throws around more wild and unfocused theories about the ongoing war between "us vs. them" than a homeless preacher in a bus station. Chances are if you actually sat down and simply asked him "what did you mean by (x)", he would give you a 1,700 word answer that answered everything but the question you asked him.

CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric did just that with her new web show where she sat down with the former morning radio zookeeper and used a viewer's question to do just that. Specifically, she asked him to explain what he meant by the phrase "white culture" when the Beckster claimed President Obama "has a deep seeded hatred for white people or white culture." A biology dissection worm squirmed less than Beck did in Couric's hot seat.

Clark

Why can't Obama be a racist? Remember Obama was visibly angry about the Cambridge police officer arresting his Harvard professor friend? Obama took sides with the black community before he knew all the facts. Obama sat and listened to Jerimiah Wright spew racial hate about white people for 20 years. That is not being a racist? 90% of the black population voted for Obama...that is not racist? Why is it only white people are called racists? I think Obama is like a Jekyll and Hyde kind of person. When he gets angry his true colors come out. Beck points out the people Obama has surrounded himself with. If you look into information about these people you will see that Beck is not making it up. Why did Van Jones step down? Because he was exposed before he was placed in the position. These people around Obama are all connected and it is disturbing. Investigate what Beck is talking about before you label him a right wing nut.

October 29 2009 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Awperator

To see that people are jumping to this idiot's defense is a testament to where the USA is today. The rest of the world looks on in shock as the once great nation devolves into petty partisanship

October 02 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig

This is unfreakingbelievable. It was a simple question to back up his comments or at least amplify on them. This guy is schizo. The statement itself was even double speak. He said Obama is a racist and then 20 seconds later said I'm not saying Obama is a racist. He will say anything to anyone to spark a reaction and then completely shrink when asked to back up his statement.

October 01 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cray

TVSquad you're doing it again. Showing us your POLITICAL bias. Please stop reviewing pundit shows that revolve around politics.

As for Colbert and Stewart, these guys are 100% tongue in the cheek comedy. These are legitimate entertainment, so feel free to dissect their shows as long as you keep your politic bias to yourselves.

October 01 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
logan

I think it's more then understandable why TVsquad would cover Beck. He himself refers to himself as "an entertainer". So he's "an entertainer" with a TV show, sounds like something for TVSQUAD!

October 01 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I do ask TVSquad why is there a weekly Glenn Beck post when you don't cover other "TVNewsers" - and when you do post about Beck all you do is repeat Media Matters, a very biased blog.

You do know that *gasp* conservatives are part of your readership too. Yes I know it's sooo shocking that half the country might be interested in television, cause we are all incoherent hillbillies who aren't educated - right? Please stop offending your liberal base by posting Glenn Beck posts here (whom they clearly disagree with), and stop offending your conservative base by bashing conservatives we do agree with.

Does anyone else remember TVSquad about 3 or 4 years ago when nearly every Television show was recapped - I wish they had the *TIME* to do that again instead of getting into off-topic political battles.

October 01 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Sam's comment
Vito

Oddly enough, when I saw this headline in my RSS feed, I thought it was about the musician. I don't know what his feelings are about Obama, but I bet they involve falsetto.

October 01 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EG

Every time I pause on Glen Beck, he is spouting hate; hate for individuals. I think he is dangeous.

October 01 2009 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Can we declare a moratorium on people who bitch for a living? Beck, O'Reilly, Olberman, pretty much everyone at Fox News... Seriously, these people are useless human beings.

October 01 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I can understand Beck... but I was Econ major in college. ;-)

(And, c'mon, TV Squad, when am I going to see Olbermann bashed as a hate-monger?)

Michael

October 01 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Mike's comment
Piper

Ummm...How about when he hates?

October 01 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
driftwood

I think the difference that tends to come up, is that Beck has ratings in the MILLIONS, Olbermann has ratings that I believe are less than half a million. There's a lot less reason for anyone to really pay attention to Olbermann.

I always think it's funny when people compare them, one is a, ratings-wise, unwatched nobody, and one is part of a supposed movement.

October 01 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply