September 2, 2014

Eastwick: Reaping and Sewing

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 1st 2009 5:26AM
Eastwick: Reaping and Sewing
(S01E02) About half-way into this episode of Eastwick, my husband came into the room and said, "This is mind-numbing dribble, posing as a plot." My husband never minces words, and while I'm usually the good cop in the relationship, I have to agree with him on this one. It IS mind-numbing dribble. At least, this episode was. I'm a little sad about it, too, because the show seems like it could work. Don't you think?

Though in the show's defense, I will say this: After the mind-numbing dribble of the first part of the episode, things got more interesting in the last few minutes. We had the Johnny Depp lookalike branding himself with the mysterious symbol that matched the one in Roxie's premonition, and it was great to see Cybill Shepherd. She makes a great crazy old(er) lady. She's still a knock-out, though.

I also appreciated seeing Martin Mull, but wish they hadn't wasted his considerable talent on a nothing character. Maybe he'll get more interesting. I mean, they've got all the awesome actors in place; I just think the writing and storyline needs a little work.

I mean, yeah, it's interesting that Joanna and Penny are digging up some interesting stuff on Darryl -- that there was no record of him before 1984, and then four years later, he suddenly becomes the fourth richest guy in New York. And then there's Bun, in the mysterious photo along with Darryl and Eleanor, and Martin Mull's character not remembering anything about the story he wrote about Sebastian Hart being lost off the coast.

But let's face it. If they don't start moving things along a little faster, the series will be canceled before we get to the good stuff. Maybe that ending scene will help, with Roxie's daughter's would-be rapist getting skewered after the girls eagle-eye him.

What did you guys think of this episode? Still watching?

[Watch clips of Eastwick on SlashControl.]

SEisenprei

They may be three and have powers, but the witches of EASTWICK are no match for The Power Of Three!

October 15 2009 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chy

So far, I love the show. It takes time to build a story and an audience, so I hope that ABC gives it a decent chance. I'm not to confident since ABC seems to be manic about what they keep on and what they axe, but I'll keep watching. I actually love the basic cast and the snapshots of people like Shephard and Mull are quirky little additions.

October 03 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

I've seen lots of negative comments about Eastwick, and while I agree the writing is pretty bad and the concept was horribly misused, the cast is really great. I found all the characters fairly likable, especially Joanna. Full review of the episode.

October 01 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juliet Waldron

It wasn't bad, at least, compared to the panning the pre-reviews gave it. Actually, they seem to be ready to give us a kind of rambling night time soap with a touch of evil and a cast of stock small town characters. Paul Gross and Cybil Shepherd were the standouts among a cardboard group of Hollywood ladies. The reporter was supposed to be interesting, but really, glasses to show she's "plain"?

October 01 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fann

This is just Not going to make it--- every one should just find a new job

October 01 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

Is it selfish of me to want it to fail so Jaime Ray Newman will come back to Eureka?

October 01 2009 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I think it still has room to improve but I'm fully onboard. . .

October 01 2009 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tollendyr

I really want this show to work, so I think I was able to overlook the slowness at the beginning. Maybe this was just a "sophomore slump" kind of episode. I felt the same way with Glee's ep. 2 and I'm still loving that show, so hopefully Eastwick will be much the same.

October 01 2009 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
belleek

I watched, and will keep watching. I thought they said from the start that the tv show would take a bit of a slower approach to the story of Darryl Van Horn (triple love Paul Gross - I've had a thing for him since 'Due South') showing up and the women discovering their powers. I like the build up, and am glad they didn't just try to copy the movie. I'm thrilled they've brought Cybill Shepherd into the mix - great casting choice, people!

About the only thing I don't like is the character of Joanna. They wanted to portray her as socially awkward and unsure of herself, but with that perpetual duck bill pout of hers and the way she behaves, she appears more of someone a little challenged. Seriously, smelling her pits, finding it foul, and then sharing the fact that she wiped a dryer sheet under her arms to the guy she's attracted to? Please. Also, I wish the wardrobe department would put her in clothes that don't appear to be painted on her. If she's so socially inept, she wouldn't be advertising the goods like that...

October 01 2009 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

I watched the 1st episode and I guess 20min. of the 2nd than switched the channel to Supernatural I guess I should watch the rest of the 2nd episode online and see if it motivates me to watch the 3rd episode

October 01 2009 at 6:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply