July 30, 2014

Glee: The Rhodes Not Taken

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 1st 2009 4:44AM
Glee: The Rhodes Not Taken
(S01E05) "Oh, Bambi, I cried so hard when they shot your mom." - A drunken Kurt to Emma

Ok, after hitting it out of the park since the debut (for me anyway), this episode sort of flatlined for me. At least, it didn't grab me as much as, say, last week's episode with the Beyonce song and the football team dancing on the field. I couldn't wait to get on here and right about that episode, but this week? Not so much. Maybe it's because there was not enough Kurt in this episode. Need.More.Kurt. Need more of Kurt saying lines like, "Glee Club has just been rocked with its first scandal..."

First of all, I love Kristin Chenoweth, so this is nothing against her, but her character didn't really do much for me. Oh sure, she has a gorgeous voice that I can listen to no matter what she's singing. But it felt like her people really wanted to get her onto this cool show (which I'm sure wasn't that difficult), so they created this wacky character who drinks and never graduated from high school, just so Will could bring her back to make the Glee Club great and do some zany stuff along the way.

The part with her winning over the Glee Club with her boozy sort-of charm didn't really get it for me either. Something about winning kids over with alcohol, vintage muscle magazines for the gay kid, and shoplifting tips for the girls, and then flirting with the football team didn't sit well with me.

All the musical numbers were nice, but my favorite was the end, with Rachel and Finn singing "Somebody to Love." It was almost as good as when the penguins did it in Happy Feet. And I mean that sincerely; it's one of my favorite movie tunes. A runner-up was Will and April's "How Do I Get You Alone," but mainly because the bowling alley guy was singing along.

Most of the rest of the episode was just "alright" for me. I didn't miss Will's faux-pregnant wife storyline, though the line the reporter said to Rachel, about getting her "sweater puppies" out of there was mildly funny. But then it made me sad because her indignant sadness always makes me want to beat someone up on her behalf.

What did you guys think of this episode?

[Watch clips and episodes of Glee at SlashControl.]

Ðan

I love all the episodes so far and the storylines yes the baby storyline too

October 06 2009 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
act

I couldn't wait to get on here and "right"????

October 05 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

For me, the storylines of the show are dragging it down - both morally and entertainment-wise. Is telling guys that you're pregnant by them when you're not supposed to be funny?? Is a known pedophile being allowed in a school funny?? I agree with Jane that I expected it to be a "family show." I really think the pilot gave the impression that it would be. Granted, it is on at 9pm, but this is the DVR generation. I know there are parents who are unaware of the show's subject matter (or just don't care) and allowing children to record and watch this. I'm aghast at the number of children who were/are allowed to watch "Friends", "Survivor," "House", etc.

How difficult would it be to make "Glee" a family show? The singing performances are what drives the show and makes it watchable. Just add some family-friendly storylines. Don't we need more shows that kids and adults can watch together without embarrassment or a whole lot of questions??

I'm just sayin'...

October 03 2009 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

@jane - wow lighten up.

"I keep thinking this is a family show -- it comes on at 9 PM, after all -- but it's really not. Drunk kids, kids having sex, kids thinking about sex and making a funny face, a character who wins kids over by teaching them to drink and steal ... no, not family oriented at all."

9 PM is family hour? Um, NBC's insipid Friends was on at 8 PM in the 90s and that show was all about sex. FWIW, maybe your teen years are a distant memory but teens pretty much screw, drink, get high, get in fights, steal, etc. Teens are by nature rebels. Not sure what you expect of a goofy show about teens. You must have gone nuts watching Veronica Mars - considering in the first episode we learn the main character had been raped, her friend murdered, her father's career ruined, her mother left her and all her friends turned on her. Kinda makes the "problems" in Glee seem a little weak.

October 03 2009 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

This episode, for me, was better than last week's but I'm done with this show. The premiere this summer was fun and snarky. So far this season is all soap opera mixed with lesson of the week. Yuck.

October 03 2009 at 2:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sigma982

The only thing that TRULY bugs me about the show is the lip-syncing. When it's bad (the "Somebody to Love" and Finn's singing), it's BAD.........but when it's good (Rachel's part in the final song and in the cut-betweens during the Cabaret song)....it's REALLY good.

And the thing is........it's not just the sync'ing...it's the quality of the overdub. It just SOUNDS off compared to the sound quality of everything before it. Even in the duet parts, the SOUND of the voices are different between the singers (between Finn and Rachel in the closer, and between Shue and Kristin in the bowling alley).

If they make the quality of the audio consistent, it will be a bit more realistic. All of these vocal performances are the actual characters, correct? They should be able to do a better job with it.

It pains me as much as when the overdubs are done on Amazing Race, Project Runway, Next Top Model. It happens, and I automatically say out loud...."OVERDUB!"...my fiancee loooooves when I do that!

October 02 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Wh - Well, that's the point. "Somebody to Love" is such a great tune that it's been used over and over in movies, as pinsleric noted. But I still like the penguins' version better.

By the way, I wish you guys (all commenters everywhere) would use your real names. I always feel like an undercover spy responding to your user names and acronyms.

October 01 2009 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jane Boursaw's comment
pinsleric

What you don't know is that my username IS my real name, just undercover. Seriously!

October 02 2009 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wh

MOVIE TUNE?!?!?!
Somebody to Love was a very good song by Queen that Hollywood took and RUINED with movies like Happy Feet, Ella Enchanted and GLEE. Get your facts straight.

October 01 2009 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wh's comment
pinsleric

It's still the same song. Just because it's been in movies and TV doesn't make it any worse, just more popular.

October 01 2009 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mariah

The major problem for me in this episode is that everything seemed v. deus ex machina - there was nothing making the characters change their minds, they just randomly did - particularly April at the end. What made her have that realization?
The performances are stellar and I'm loving Rachel, Finn and Kurt, but the plots need a lot of work. I could also do without the faux-pregnant wife arc in its entirety. I'm hoping the show finds its footing (outside of the song and dance numbers) soon.

October 01 2009 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mariah's comment
PJ

I could do without either pregnancy - real or faked. Neither are funny situations - at least its not written as funny. Very close to coming off the DVR. The pilot had a lot of funny, silly and so much heart. Now they seem to be just about musical numbers and then "Oh yea we need to put a plot in". I dont think they know what type of show they want to be. Also, sometimes I think the show would be better as a 30 min program.

For the record I am a fan of Arrested Dev, South Park and other quirky shows, so I get that stuff. Its just not working on this show.

October 03 2009 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Scott - Oh, I didn't really like that scene with the creepy reporter, and said I wanted to beat him up on Rachel's behalf. But I thought the phrase "sweater puppies" was just kind of amusing.

October 01 2009 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply