September 2, 2014

Letterman admits affairs, audience claps

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 2nd 2009 8:00AM
David Letterman admits affairsBy now, you've probably heard about David Letterman's affairs with female staffers, and someone's attempt to extort $2 million from him. I watched The Late Show With David Letterman last night and wasn't sure what to expect. He usually confronts these sorts of things right up front, talking directly to his audience and viewers, and he did just that after the opening monologue.

He played it all very light-hearted, saying that the grand jury was probably shocked to learn he was having sex, and that the moment he knew something was amiss, he started thinking about every single bad thing he'd ever done in his life.

The funny thing is, the studio audience just lapped it up, applauding at just about everything Dave said. He didn't say exactly when the affairs happened, but I'm guessing in the not too distant past. He said, "Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would. I feel like I need to protect these people. I need to certainly protect my family."

He married Regina Lasko in March, but they've been together a while, because they have a six-year-old son, Harry. I wonder if Regina will be as forgiving as the studio audience.

YNOT ?

men having sex with women is not a crime, nor iswomen having sex with men. (even men to men & women to women is nota crime in my eyes.) the crime is the "extortion" of money,blackmailing. Letterman handled himself & this potential scandal ina great way. while i have always liked Dave over Jay Leno or Conan,he appears to me as a better person than before. and finally weshould all realize that when it comes to the pursuit of anotherperson for friendship, intimacy or sex, when it comes to flirting,picking up someone for a date or a romantic encounter, both men &women use whatever they can in their personal 'arsenal.' if i were acharismatic entertainer, with money & fame, of course i would utilizewhatever opportunities they provide me. right now, as an unknownartist/musician, all i have is my charm.

October 04 2009 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

THIS P.O.S.... STILL WORKING FOR CBS. SHOULD HAVE BEEN NEXT DAY...SORRYY A....CBS

October 03 2009 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sam

From a PR standpoint, I think Dave was smart to frame this potentially disastrous situation as "I was being blackmailed" as opposed to "I have 'sinned'."
Of course, it's really none of our business, but we and our insatiable appetite for voyeuristic pleasure will not let him get away with that. We must know what was worthy of blackmail in the first place--just because. This standard seems to apply to anyone brazen enough to appear on our TV screens.

October 03 2009 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sam

The inappropriate audience clapping and laughter reminds me of the movie, "Natural Born Killers." Early on in the movie, there is a surreal background scene involving Mallory's childhood and how she was abused by her father, played by Rodney Dangerfield.

It has the feel of a sitcom--complete with audience laugh track--and there is hysterical laughter accompanying the dad's inappropriate and creepy behavior toward his daughter.

I thought this was a social commentary about the influence of television on our psyche where we begin to have trouble distinguishing fiction from reality.

In the case of the real Letterman audience it seemed that they were robotically applying the wrong social schema (laugh or clap at whatever Dave says) to the point that you wonder if they were really listening or if they cared about the reality in front of them.

On the other hand, maybe they were just uncomfortable, surprised, or confused.
It is more common outside of America to laugh in order to diffuse uncomfortable social situations--in this case,hearing a public confession of very private behavior when one expected to hear pure comedy or crazy or ironic chit chat. With few formal audience responses available (e.g., laughter, applause, or silence), the rote response was applause to say, "We support you, Dave" and perhaps sympathetic laughter while trying to ignore the content of the confession itself.

October 03 2009 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CarlW

Notice how he tactfully avoided the crimes he's been convicted of.

October 03 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I hope some of your hypocrites realize what you are saying and implying. Jay Leno.. short ride to #1????? no way..
If anyone were to switch Dave off because of this, then they ought to go stick their head in a hole..and hope to die.. because everyone messes up. Dave has the guts to confront it, and take on the media mess, which I think is bold, and makes me even MORE want to be a loyal fan. We have way too many self-righteous pharisees out there now..Please.......look inside yourself before you throw any stones.

October 02 2009 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

Excuse me. "Your"

October 02 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

You're set up was great, but you forgot to post the video.

October 02 2009 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

What's so shocking about the audience laughing and applauding at everything Dave says? They do this every freakin night through the entire monologue. It's one of the reasons I can't watch his show anymore, the audience is so annoying. What happened to the days of the monologue were jokes bombed and no one laughed? Remember Carson's jokes that bombed, it was funnier that way.

The Craig Ferguson audience is probably the worst. It's almost like they have paid people to laugh. The guy just stands there and mugs and people are in hysterics. I like the format of his show, but the audience drives me insane.

October 02 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J-Sim

With TV Squad's love affair with Leno's show, I wondered what it would take for them to put Letterman on the board.

Based on the following and the lack of previous lawsuits from previous women I can't see where Dave has necessarily done anything wrong.

"Apparently neither the extortion attempt, nor the fact that Letterman slept with women on his show, were news to Letterman's wife of seven months.
Lasko, a former television production manager, had the job of telling Letterman's mother Dorothy Mengering about the embarrassing blackmail plot attempt."

October 02 2009 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply