August 30, 2014

Survivor Samoa: It's Called A Russell Seed

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Oct 2nd 2009 2:28AM
Evil Russell is planting his seeds on Survivor Samoa
(S19E03) If I had my druthers and could choose which weirdo to watch take over Survivor between Evil Russell and Ben "Coach" Wade from last season, I'd surely go for Russell. Don't get me wrong. I don't like Russell. I wouldn't invite him over for dinner or send him a birthday card. But he's playing the game and, despite saying he's not there to work, he works around camp and at the challenges. However, his expertise in work at camp is playing mind games. Wade did diddly. Now if only I knew what a druthers was.

What I don't like when they focus on one outrageous character, whether Ben Wade or Russell, is that it's hard to remember there are indeed two tribes. As Foa Foa with Evil Russell dwindles in numbers, there are still ten people over on Galu. At least we got a few glimpses of them tonight.

Another thing which is irking me is doubling the challenges into one big reward/immunity challenge. On the positive side, that gives Foa Foa only one chance to lose! Not only is Foa Foa truly sucking at challenges, they're being led around by Evil Russell like he's the Pied Piper of Samoa. Even though we're on the third episode, I've picked a few members of that tribe I like -- Jaison and Mick. But if they're foolish enough to trust Russell every step of the way, they'll deserve to get the boot. Thankfully one bucked the tide tonight ... and survived crossing Russell.

So, once Foa Foa lost yet another highly physically interactive challenge (hmm ... women in mud, women wrestling in water, do you sense a theme?), Good Russell of Galu made one decision I liked and one which is probably going to bite him in the butt. I think, for Shambo's sake, she was the best choice to go to the Foa Foa camp. She's not happy with her "90120" tribemates. She turned on the good will and friendliness. If her tribe doesn't boot her, she could pick up some allies on Foa Foa.

His poor decision was choosing comfort items over functional items as the reward. I'm not so keen on him claiming he did it for the women. Yeah, I'm sure that was his thought. But I'm a woman. If I were there, I would prefer cooking utensils and such. The rains are going to soak the pillows, pads, and towels. The guys are already a bit ticked at him although they didn't seem to say much to him about it. Shambo can't be the only woman to see the sense in going for functional.

With the single challenge over early in the episode, the focus became The Russell Show. He wanted Ashley out because why? Oh, she dared cross him and said she wanted Ben gone. But this time Russell's string-pulling just isn't working. Ben has alienated himself from just about everyone in camp. And it only took one strong game player to take a stand.

Jaison is my new hero. He talked to the girls and Mick. He told them if Ben stays, he's gone. But he told us he has no plans to leave. Heck, if Russell can play people, so can Jaison. I'm glad that he called out Ben on the racist comments made to Yasmin last week even though her behavior was over the top, too. I was also pleased to see that Mick agreed the comments were racist. With race on the shows sometimes being a touchy issue, it's commendable for someone else to be willing to speak up.

Then there's that Evil Russell. Darn, the dude is smart about the game. He saw things weren't going to go his way. He took Mick under his wing, showing him the hidden idol trying to gain his trust to vote out Ashley. But then he switched it up for a unanimous vote to oust Ben (except Ben's vote for Ashley).

So Evil Russell still has everyone's trust, even though his own target didn't get shot down this week. He's still in with the guys and Ashley is a bit of a wishy-washy target anyway. Ben thinks they can't survive without him. I don't think they could have lived with him. He was bad at challenges and caused all kinds of problems. Good riddance.

[Watch episodes and clips of Survivor over at SlashControl.]

Were Ben's comments towards Yasmin racist?
Yes203 (67.0%)
No56 (18.5%)
I'm not sure44 (14.5%)

John

For a complete breakdown of the nonverbal gestures, facial expressions, and meaning of last night's tribal council check out http://www.spyingforlying.com where you will understand and be able to see contempt my many of the players.

October 16 2009 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Syd

"Now if only I knew what a druthers was."

OMG -- this line was unexpected and just too funny. I have no idea either. Maybe I can google it and someone will have listed it on Wikipedia or something.

My husband was pissed that they did the immunity reward challenges too. I was not happy the producers had already picked the tribes. I am not happy that some got voted off the week that the medics insisted the older guy leave. I'm all for shaking things up to keep it fresh (thought you might never known that from my comment so far, lol), but that last one wasn't great.

Maybe they didn't show it in the cut but why wasn't there as much talk about Yasmin's totally inappropriate behavior.

October 06 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Syd's comment
Netra

people have spoken about her behavior..it's brash loud and unacceptable...but i think because we are only seeing one tribe...so the focus wasnt on her this episode..i mean their tribe is still all lovey dovey towards one another cant wait for that to end. I too hope they do some kind of twist...oh and i think Yasmine will be the first to go when her tribe loses she complains a lot and is annoying. I still dont understand why people go on Survivor and proceed to complain about the conditions. To those above typing about the African Queen...get over it. Until we get to see more of both tribes

October 08 2009 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meb

I too think like you Jackie... Russell is playing the game, but I'm hoping he's gone soon and let someone else play who isn't so controlling.

Looking forward to the next episode. I'd sure like to see who's are the other team.

October 06 2009 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennasmom

Great article, Jackie! You and I think alike. Don't like Evil Russell, but you got to admit he's playing the game.

I don't even who hardly anyone but Shambo is on the other team. Wish they'd focus on someone other than Russell for a while.

October 06 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzi Sue

Jackie, you aren't the only one who isn't liking the one comp a show and what seems like one tribe on camera. Soon, we will see the good Russ's tribe holding wet, soggy pillows over their heads trying to keep dry. Who woulda thunk it...rain on Survivor. I hope it doesn't get him voted off..if his team ever goes to TC.

October 06 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margo

Foa Foa are all gonna die now that Ben is not there to start the fire. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA......NOT.

I say good riddance.

Jackie great write up again.

Margo

October 06 2009 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

It's so weird to see my name (Laurie) and know I didn't make those posts above. Imagine, two of us watching the same show and commenting on Jackie's column!

I was glad to see Ben go, and enjoyed watching the surprised look on his face as the votes were read. He was evil, imo, and needed to go. I think Evil Russell will self-destruct pretty soon. However, he made a smart move by voting with the majority.

I,too, hope they mix up the tribes and make two new ones. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen this week!

October 06 2009 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie

I like Jaison and Shambo. So far, they're real & honest players. Probably the kiss of death for both. It would be interesting to see a final vote, for the first time, between two survivors who were both just good people. Ha!!! Never gonna happen!

October 04 2009 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

I do believe 'druthers' came from the musical "LI'L ABNER". ~1956
In that musical there was a tune called "If I Had My Druthers". Could this be where 'druthers' came from which you are referring to?

Lyrics were by Johnny Mercer.
"LI'L ABNER" played for 693 performances on Broadway at the St. James Theatre. The original cast included Edith Adams, Peter Palmer, Howard St. John and Stubby Kaye.
It received 2 Tony Awards for Choreography and Supporting or Featured Actress. It also got 'The Outer Critics Circle Award for Performance'.
If I Had My Druthers I would rather be seeing a B-Way Musical. Although I do love 'Survivor'.

October 03 2009 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Evil Russ is his own worst enemy. The sham of his game play is starting to crumble.

October 03 2009 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply