November 23, 2014

Did you know who was in the casket on Private Practice?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 3rd 2009 10:44PM
Private Practice season 3 premiereI've been waiting all summer to see how things turned out for Violet and her baby on Private Practice. Let's face it. Things looked bleak at the end of season two when Violet's baby was hacked out of her by a crazy person, and they didn't look any better at the beginning of season three. So I was pretty ecstatic with how things turned out.

I must admit, though, the way things were going, I really wasn't sure who was in that casket that started the episode until we were getting close to the end. It wasn't small enough to be a baby's casket (thank goodness), and I was pretty sure Amy Brenneman was planning on sticking around, so it was unlikely that Violet was in the casket. Still, it was touch and go there for a while, and either one of them could have died.

I was downright happy to learn that it was Pete's wife in that casket, mostly because she'd never been a part of the show, so I didn't have any connection with her. Were you happy with the way the episode ended? Are you looking forward to watching season three?

[If you missed the season three premiere last week, watch it at SlashControl (that's what I did!). And no grousing about spoilers! It was two days ago!]

buckeyenut

I thought it was pretty obvious when they showed the flashback of Pete telling Violet that his wife had just died.

October 04 2009 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
teresa

why was the season called a death in the family if no one died?

October 04 2009 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

I knew Violet and baby would both survive as Amy Brenneman spoiled it right after the finale.

I hated the baby storyline. It was pulled straight from Days of Our Lives plot and turned Violet into a stupid 40+ woman who sleeps around without protection and then fails to name the father. Made her unlikeable.

I did think the S3 premiere wrapped it up as best as it could, despite the histronics.

The scene that really got me was the argument between Addison and Naomi in the hallway. Fantastic acting by Kate Walsh. I love the friendship between those two characters and hope Naomi's move to the other practice doesn't destroy it.

October 04 2009 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Julie's comment
jamie

ITA.

The Addison and Naomi scene was the best scene and made it worth watching. Kate Walsh was amazing as was Audra.

October 04 2009 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

I knew Violet and the baby both survived as Amy Brenneman and Paul Adelstein had already spoiled it in interviews for the season finale.

Hated the baby storyline, turned Violet into a stupid idiot. Totally trashy soap opera plot but at least the resolution was good in the premiere.

The scene that had me emotionally was the Addison/Naomi argument in the hall. Love the friendship between those two characters.

October 04 2009 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sancty

I knew it wasn't Vilolet in the casket, and was fairly certain it wasn't the baby due to the HUGE casket.

I didn't know any casting spoilers, I just figured that Rhimes wouldn't give us 2 Season Premiere's with a lead character dying.

I figured the shrink somehow died rescuing the baby at first... glad to see I was wrong.

October 04 2009 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl Smith

It was an amazing episode, I was on the edge of my seat!

I too was confused about the casket but knew (as you did) that the actress was continuing with the show. It was a great "gotcha" if you didn't know yet.

October 03 2009 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jacqi

I didn't see the last show of last season.. can I find it on the net as well??

October 03 2009 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jacqi's comment
Jane Boursaw

Hey Jacqi - Yep, you can find it on SlashControl.com. Here's the link:

October 04 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Too bad they messed up the continuity with the death of Pete's wife. In prior seasons we were told she died of lung cancer. (Trying to convince his GF to quit smoking) Nice writing.

October 03 2009 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to mike's comment
James

Yeah they had me too. I figured it out near the end a few minutes before they popped it. I thought they did a great job, hopefully, they season will keep building like this but so far, it's a great start.

October 03 2009 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply