April 20, 2014

Death and the Real Housewives of Atlanta

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 4th 2009 3:30PM
kandi_burress_bravoIf you've been watching the current season of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, you've seen an uptick in the nastiness. Wig-pulling, sniping, one wife referring to another as a monster, bad singing ... It's been a wallow in bad behavior. As shocking as what's been on the air, this news yesterday was shockingly real: A.J. Jewell, the fiance of Real Housewives of Atlanta's Kandi Burruss, died after a parking lot brawl Friday night.

On the show, Kandi is the newest wife (although she was not presently married), and the successful singer/songwriter in the course of this season, she's been struggling with her engagement to A.J. He had six children from a previous relationship, and Kandi's mother has been against her daughter marrying him. Mama even refused to have a picture taken with A.J.

The news that this man has died is truly surprising and sad.

Bravo released the following statement about the incident: "Our thoughts are with Kandi and A.J.'s family during this tragic time."

This is a case of true reality being inserted into the so-call reality of a TV show. How it will impact the rest of the season also comes into question. As of the last episode, Kandi was working on relaunching her music career and still planning a wedding to A.J.

Before next week's show airs, it would seem that Bravo will have to address this issue in some way so that viewers can deal with what they're seeing on the show compared to what they might have read in the papers or online.

terri

kandi, I'm so sorry for your loss, my prayer are with you and AJ's family. I know this a hard time for you and his family. Stay strong and lean on GOD,I know he can help if you ask. Time is really the only thing that helps along with Gods love. You are my favorite one on the show!! You don't get caught up with all the mean and nasty things the other women do! You have made your money with your talent instead of depending on a man to do it for you, I admire you for that. stay strong and good things will come along. GOD BLESS YOU AND AJ'S family, I will pray for all of you!!

October 05 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

Damn. Terrible. And right after Kandi finally grew on me.

I'm interested to see how Bravo and Andy Cohen handle this(since the re-union hasn't been filmed yet), even if the OC housewives had a death, this is completely different.

It would be more interesting to see how TLC would handle it actually.

October 05 2009 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate

This is very sad news. My prayers go out to AJ's friends and family.

To correct a statement in the article, AJ had 6 kids from 4 different relationships. Kandi's mother's concern was her daughter have to deal with those 4 mothers. Also, it's been reported that Kandi and AJ broke off their engagement in August, so many viewers have known that the relationship they've been watching on TV has already ended.

October 04 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shell

Kandi I am so sorry for your loss....my prayers go out to you and AJ's family...Rest in the bosom of Jesus during this sorrowful time..Love u!!!

October 04 2009 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peasoupfriday

we watch this show without fail. and now, we all feel the loss of AJ. how sad that is. even more sad is the fact there are evil people out there who would do such a thing. our hearts go out to AJ's entire family and also to Kandi.

stay strong Kandi, Texas is with you.

October 04 2009 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nah0012

my heart goes out to both families and my prayers are with them.Kandi be strong because GOD will help you through this just trust and believe.

October 04 2009 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nah0012

my heart goes out to aj and his family and to kandi and hers. GOD will help you get through this my prayers are with both families.

October 04 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brenda

My heartfelt condolences go out to Kandi & AJ's family. alsolutely nothing is worth taking someone's life or dying for. My prayers are with you all. RIP A

October 04 2009 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Princess Niecy

I DONT THINK THAT NOW IS THE TIME TO DISCUSS WHO LIKED AJ OR KANDYS MOTHER RELATIONSHIP WITH AJ, THATS THE PAST. AJ HAS PASSED AWAY AND DURING THIS HORRIBLE TIME ITS BEST TO FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE THINGS..KANDY MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU, HIS KIDS AND THE MANY PPL WHOSE LIVES AJ TOUCHED....

October 04 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Princess Niecy's comment
peasoupfriday

well said!!

October 04 2009 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lcandy2007

My prayer are with the family, and Kandi you will get throw this.

Liz Cannon