Desperate Housewives: Being Alive
by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 4th 2009 2:40AM
(S06E02) "She's like the nicest girl in the world. Who'd want to hurt her?" - Wisteria Lane residents as they learn about Julie
It's the day after Susan and Mike's wedding, but also the day after Julie got attack by an unknown assailant. The Wisteria Lane residents quickly gather on the scene and try to make sense of it all. Who would hurt the nicest young adult female on the street?
As expected, fingers are quickly pointed in Danny Bolen's direction. But did he do it? Detectives, as well as the Wisteria Lane men and us, loyal Desperate Housewives viewers, are on the case.
At first glance, it sure looks like Danny is the one who tried to strangle Julie. After all, she rejected him, they had a fight, and he enlisted, after Angie ordered him to, Ana's help to get an alibi since he was out drinking all night when the assault happened. It sure doesn't look good for him.
However, I don't believe he is the one who strangled Julie. The mystery would be resolved too quickly. Danny, and his parents, are not white as snow: they surely did bad things in their past and will probably do some more in the future.
I re-watched the scene where Julie gets strangled. The culprit (see screen capture on the left) seems a bit taller than Julie, s/he is wearing sneakers, gloves, and what seems to be jeans, as well as a brownish hoodie and has enough strength to strangle Julie. Somehow, I'm leaning towards a young man instead of a woman. And from the shape of the assailant, I don't think it's Julie's ex (played by Steven Weber).
So this means that I don't believe, as some fans wrote on the web, that Katherine is the one who did it. When re-watching the end of the premiere, we see Katherine sitting in her night gown just before we see Julie take out the recycling bin. Yes, maybe Julie's scene occurred a few minutes after we saw Katherine sitting, giving Katherine time to quickly change and cross the street to do the strangling. It wouldn't surprise me that she becomes the prime suspect when Danny is clearer of charges.
My best guest right now is that the man who strangled Julie is the "someone" she had a complicated thing with that ended up in Julie thinking she was pregnant.
What's your take on the crime? Do you think my theory is the right one? Or do you believe Danny or Katherine did it? Share your thoughts and theories with us below.
Other tidbits of interest:
- I'm ecstatic that McCluskey has a man in her life, especially since he is as bitter and cranky as she can be at times. Kudos to the casting people for getting Orson Bean for the role as he rocked on Doctor Quinn in the role of bitter and cranky, yet lovable, Loren Bray.
- It was fun to hear Gaby tell Ana how to get a man -- by playing hard to get -- and explain how it worked with Carlos!
- Who could have predicted that Susan would be the one helping Lynette embrace her pregnancy? Not me! Even if Lynette announced her pregnancy to her kids and seems ready to live it, I'm sure we'll see her in distress a few more times. As she pointed out, it's not an easy time for her to be pregnant: 40 years old, Tom back in school, kids at home, sole money provider, etc.
- How creepy was it to see Katherine tell Orson that Mike would come back to her eventually and, later, tell him that Mike made a pass at her?! She is crazy and I love it!
- What I also love to see is the affair between Bree and Karl. They are so right for each other right now. I'm pretty sure Susan would forgive Bree eventually if Bree and Karl are truly happy together. After all, Susan forgave worst things than this in the past, no?
- Now that Danny got arrested, it will be very difficult for the Bolens to make friends with the Wisteria Lane citizens. They may only be able to befriend Katherine.
[Watch clips and episodes of Desperate Housewives and other shows on SlashControl.]