April 24, 2014

Will Jack Bauer be killed off?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 4th 2009 4:30PM
kiefer sutherland and elisha cuthbert in 24I wasn't particularly impressed with season seven of 24, partly because I really want Jack Bauer to be the kick-ass character he used to be, rather than the sickly guy struggling to survive (well, he's always been struggling, but in more of a kick-ass way).

The show took some heat for some of the earlier implausible plotlines (Really, Jack? You escape from the Secret Service guys and steal a helicopter to save the President? And say what? You spring back to life after being "dead" to find the bombs and save the world?), but that's what I loved about the show.

But could the Jack Bauer era be coming to an end? Kiefer Sutherland recently told Contact Music that he fears his character might be killed off.

"All of us, from the actors to writers, understood from day one we are not, and never will be, the heartbeat of the show," he said. "If you look at the major characters to have died over the years, you know you can be killed off, and the show will get better without you. The real star of 24 has always been the concept of doing this show in 'real time.'"

If that happens, though, he says he won't be happy, and will go out "kicking and screaming." And there's always the possibility that the show will get the axe after season eight. Several alternative endings have been written in case the show comes to an end.

Hopefully, the addition of new actors, including Katee Sackhoff, David Anders, Stephen Root, Julian Morris, and Freddie Prinze, Jr. will inject some freshness to the franchise. And if it does end, maybe we'll get a feature film or two out of the deal.

dewey00

They can not kill off Jack Bauer. No matter what anyone connected to the show states, Keifer Sutherland is 24. It's his character that has people hooked, his character that we root for and watch with breathless anticipation. I've watched 24 from day one and it's the only DVD that I have to have in original format - anything else can be a download. I will be sadly and severely disappointed if Jack dies and in repsonse to Midnight13 - I pray they do not use suicide to end Jack's life. That act destroys every single thing Jack believes in and is about! No, if the show's over Jack Bauer deserves to ride off into the sunset with peace and acceptance.

November 03 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I've been watching 24 since day 1 and I've known that the only proper way to end Jack's storyline is his death otherwise it wouldn't be true to the show (where you are kept guessing who will die...although the last 3 seasons they have totally taken that element out of the show, instead they kill off characters that have been forced on you for an episode or two).

October 05 2009 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jason's comment
jierardi

i have been watching since day one, and i will not be a happy camper if they killed him off and go on with 24, jack bauer makes 24, and without him it will not be the same. if it should get axed well thats different, it should be a happy ending for jack. i will be very disappointed if it is not.

October 06 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

There is no 24 without Jack Bauer.

October 05 2009 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to D-Bo's comment
Beans

Amen

October 05 2009 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wh

REMOVE THE LINK ABOUT ALTERNATE ENDINGS NOW!!!!
It nearly crashed my computer because of a virus.

October 04 2009 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wh's comment
wh

sorry for coming off a little rude. I got mad in the heat of the moment but please remove the link I do not want someone who isnt as skilled with computers to suffer for a bad link.

October 05 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I'm patiently waiting for the spinoff...

October 04 2009 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

i say they made him say that just to keep people wondering

October 04 2009 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elementus

I don't see why they would kill off 24. It still pulls in great ratings.

October 04 2009 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

British tv show "Spooks" ("MI5" in the US) shows that you can (and should, time after time) kill and axe ANYBODY. Currently they're on season 7 and THIRD team leader. Tom was fired, Adam got bombed. A LOT of agents died over the years. And the show just got better!

That's not to say I'd like see Jack go. But a spin-off with Renee - by all means!

October 04 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chuck's comment
mark perna

Spooks is SO much better than 24 that it is hardly a comparison.

October 04 2009 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

I would think if movies are considered viable that there couldn't be a movie without Jack Bauer so if they kill off the character it means they never considered a movie very seriously.Frankly I disagree with Kiefer at least at this point.I don't believe any character has what it takes to headline the show but Jack Bauer.Renee and Tony Almeida came close but it would be a hard sell to replace Jack.Rather than try and save the show if it's reached a point to remove the Jack Bauer character,they should just bring it to an end.Although I think a new version of 24 would be watched at first,it would be heavily judged against the old and probably trail off viewers once the novelty wore off.

October 04 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Sutherland has been doing "24" so long that if they were to kill off the character have it been in the final scene of the final season. Cuase at this point having another character even one that we've known for a long time like a Tony Almada or Chole would not be as intresting. And how would a character like Jack die and by who's hand? The only thing I can see happening is Jack commiting suicide, he's alone, he's lost everyone he's cared about, and he feels he can no longer effectively do the job he's been doing all these years. He's given everything and now he wants out. Yes, viewers will probobly hate that ending, all that just for Jack to end his own life, but in some ways suicide would be fitting for such a downer series such as "24".

October 04 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply