October 25, 2014

All My Children fallout: who's in and who's out

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 5th 2009 1:03PM
Beth_ehlersEver since the announcement that All My Children was leaving New York, moving from the studios where it's been shot since the premiere in 1970, the big question among fans has been who will be staying with All My Children when it moves west... and who won't.

The good news is that Susan Lucci has decided to stay with the show, even if she's not giving up her New York home. Susan, as well as costar Vincert Irizarry, have decided to commute to Los Angeles, with AMC arranging the schedule to make it more convenient for the veterans.

There's bad news, however, and it involves three big AMC stars. Thorsten Kaye, who plays Zach, has decided not to relocate. In addition, Beth Ehlers (Taylor) and Aiden Turner (Aidan) have been let go. In other words, they have not been invited to go west.

For Turner, the dismissal came as a shock. He was called into the executive producer's office and given his pink slip. It was story line dictated, the show claimed, but more likely it was a cost-cutting move. The same is probably true for Ehlers, however in her case it's more disheartening.

The five-time Emmy nominee joined AMC in 2008 after 21 years on Guiding Light with high expectations that her character, Taylor, would be a major player in Pine Valley. After over a year on the canvas, however, Taylor remains virtually unattached to any other characters and her story lines have never truly been integrated. In point of fact, she is an expendable character.

Ehlers could easily find another job -- she's that good -- but probably not for the kind of money she received before the recession hit. Here's a look at one of her better moments on AMC:

Finally, there's Thorsten Kaye. He's chosen not to move for personal reasons: his long-time partner, Susan Haskell, has a full-time gig on One Life to Live playing Marty. The couple are raising two children and he has expressed his desire to stay with his family. "I am not the kind of dad who wants to be 3,000 miles away from my kids," Kaye told the New York Daily News.

Rumor has it that Kaye's character, Zach, will be killed off. As for Aidan and Taylor, no word yet on how they'll be written out.

If it were up to you, what would you do about the Zach Slater issue since Kaye is definitely not the answer. Also, which character would you like to see return to All My Children?

What should AMC do about Zach?
Recast with another actor.8586 (27.9%)
Have him run off with Kendall and the kids.7970 (25.9%)
Have him die while clearing Kendall of Stuart's murder.5170 (16.8%)
Have him fake his death to free Kendall.9036 (29.4%)

What character would you like to see return to AMC?
Bianca5910 (18.7%)
Jack6188 (19.6%)
Greenlee16348 (51.7%)
Jamie3190 (10.1%)

Robin McCall

The writer of this needs to make a correction. "All My Children" IS NOT IN THE SAME STUDIO AS IT WAS WHEN IT DEBUTED IN 1970! The old studio was on W.67th and Columbus right across from the ABC News Building where "Live with Regis and Kelly" is filmed. There used to be a BIG Marquee outside of the Studio that said, You Never Know What Will Happen In Pine Valley"
In the late 80's or so, they moved to the same studio's that Loving/The City and Ryan's Hope used down further on W. 67th right at the end of the block. There is apartment houses across the street, a big chain link fence so you cannot "jump" into the Hudson River. Get your facts straight when reporting a story. Obviously, you never stood outside of the old studio waiting for Taylor Miller or Julia Barr or Marcy Walker or Kim Delany to come out and sign autographs. Thats where I learned that Deborah Moreheart now Hunter Tylo was coming on board as Robin McCall as she had just exited with a script. A few of us asked her if she was joining the show and said, Yes, my characters name is Robin. Get with it! I know I am late in posting this and doubt the author of this article will ever read it but that is the history of the Studio of "ALL MY CHILDREN" Bring back Mrs. Valentine!

January 01 2010 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Zach and Aidan should stay!! Get rid of Ryan once and for all. Erica and Ryan are weird together. David is a lost cause-wish they would make him a better guy. Actually getting bored with Angie and Jesse, too.

November 23 2009 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalie Stephens

What is going on in the entertainment industry? No one has an original thought anymore, and when they think they do, they beat you over the head with it, before they shove it down your throat!?!
All of the good actors/characters either get fired, leave, or are being written so far away from their personalities, that they just aren't recognizable anymore.
How could AMC let Beth and Thorston go? I have also been lamenting Aidens' personality flip. I will miss Aiden Turner, but won't be sad to see this "new" Aiden get it.
I would like it if they let Zacks' story line stay "open" for him, and have him fake his death to try to help *gag* Kendall.....who should subsequently do what we have (most of us) prayed for, commit suicide, hopefully in some gruesome manner. It would also be just fine by me if Ryan took another bullet to the head in the fray.
As for the comment above, stating that Kendall made Zack what he is.......I was going to say wrong, he was always a strong, dynamic, loyal man, but I suppose Kendall did make him what he is today......A poor, stupid shmuck, doormat of a man, who does everything he can for the woman he *choke* loves. I am disgusted with what has happened to his character, and have grown to hate Kendall (sorry Alishia). I am sure she is a very nice lady, in person, but Kendall has been making me sick for a couple of years now.
O.K. now if you want me to tell you what I really think......**WEG**

October 16 2009 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

the only way i would want greenlee 2 come back is if they brought back the second actress that played her. she was doing a really good job and fans were just warming up 2 her and then AMC and Rebbica Buddig screwed us over with the hype of bringing back the NUOLD greenlee 4 a lousy year. wasn't worth the effort.

October 14 2009 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D.R

that's it!! I have been watching AMC since I sat as a child w/ my grandma since the beginning. No longer, they kept this baby Trevor story on too long, now trouble w/ Liza baby, And Who friking killed A great character Stuart. NOW ,Thorsten Kaye is no longer on the show. He is the only thing that keeps me from kicking in the TV .The Actor and the character bring passion to the show. I can not see why they ask him to come in 4 days a month to shoot his scenes.He can bring the kids to see all the sites and Disneyland. I'm sorry I am stopping or get Thorsten Kaye to reconsider,Dang it!

October 14 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lgsmcleod123

I am just sick that Zach will not be going with AMC. No one could be re-cast to play his role because he owns the role of Zach Slater and another actor would just not work so this is why I voted that he should just die.

October 10 2009 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren H.

Moving the show was a completely unnecessary decision and very unfortunate because as much as I hate to say it, the show will most likely not be able to survive. I've been watching it with my mom for as long as I can remember, so it's disappointing to see that those in charge clearly have poor decision making abilities. I thought Aiden and Taylor were fantastic and of course Zach is a devastating loss to the show.

October 10 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G Price

The problem with AMC is it's horribly written story lines. Examples are: finding Stuart's killer is just too drawn out and too excessive; Erica with Ryan (lol); sick of Amanda and her weepy storyline; not enough about Frankie, Angie, Jesse: Marissa is pathetic and so is the story line.

Losing Zack will be the death knell and Greenlee will not be able to bring the numbers up. Please just get new writers. The present staff is just plain horrible.

October 10 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shelly

Moving to California will not help AMC and the loss of actors and actress will only cause a drop of long time viewership. Rethink your strategy ABC before it's too late. Furthermore, bringing back old veteran actors will not make up for the loss of beloved reoccurring actors like Zach.

October 10 2009 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shelly's comment
Evelyn

I have been watching off and on since Tad & Jenny were teenagers and lately I've lost interest in the show. Why move to Calif? Leave the show alone and keep the great actors. I hate to see Zach's character killed off. Need better story lines and I agree with the comment on Tad, he needs more action.

October 31 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Connie

I too am going to stop watching this soap after many, many years. I DVR it so I can FF past anything to do with Erica! Her storyline has not changed since it started! She is so fake! She needs to retire! Of course anymore plastic surgery and she will melt under the lights! Zach is my favorite! When they loose him, they loose me.

October 10 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply