October 1, 2014

Entourage: Give a Little Bit (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 5th 2009 9:26AM
Adrian Grenier, Kevin Dillon, and Matt Damon
(S06E12) "Sorry - he Jason Bourne'd me." - Drama

Huh?!? Was that really an Entourage season finale? It was so... good. It was as if every conversation I've ever had with my buddies after another season of Entourage and all of the "man, I really wish they had done this or included that" requests were jammed into this episode. Maybe Entourage should have double-length installments more often.

Anything to ensure that Ari always walks around with a paintball gun.

Seriously, though - if you consider how up and down this sixth season was (and the fourth and the fifth), it's incredible that it somehow culminated like this. Despite the fact that Entourage has been renewed for a seventh season, in many ways, this could have served as a series finale.

So let's break it down:

Vince
This entire season Vince hasn't had much to do. After the success of Scorsese's Gatsby, life has been easier and Vince spent most of season six either having sex or trying on Enzo Ferrari costumes for his next picture, directed by Frank Darabont. In typical Entourage fashion, this episode culminated with Vince leaving to shoot his next film but I liked how his departure got a little complicated with Matt Damon's incessant whining.

In an attempt to drum up some cash for his charity OneXOne, Damon, along with the help of Bono and LeBron James, wouldn't lay off Vince until he made a hefty donation to help feed hungry children. A noble cause, but man - Matt Damon can be a real jerk (in the world of Entourage anyway).

If you stuck around after the credits, there was one more scene with Damon calling Vince, demanding money. Very funny to watch, but he made a comment that an Oscar winning actor shouldn't have to call someone like Vince to ask for money for charity. Subtext anyone? An Oscar winning actor shouldn't have to appear on an HBO dramedy to get the word out about a charitable organization, but that's the country we live in. In case you missed it, here's the promo that Damon made Vince shoot in the airplane hangar before he left for Italy (this wasn't included in the episode):

Turtle
Easily the most satisfying plot that ran the entire season, this is definitely not how I saw things ending for Turtle. Taking off for New Zealand only to have Jamie-Lynn call and tell him that despite her love for him, she called it off because she was weak, worried the show might be successful, didn't want to do long distance, concerned she might want someone else, and on and on. It was heartbreaking and for a brief moment I thought Turtle was going to break down and cry into the arms of the extremely fat passenger sitting next to him.

As depressing as it was, it's full circle for Turtle at this point. He's back to where he started, but thanks to Jamie-Lynn's nudging, he's in school and his future is brighter. Season seven could be the season of Turtle.

Eric
Well that was a long time coming. How many times have we all just sat there, yelling at Eric and Sloan - get married already!! I have to say, considering how random and unexpected Eric's proposal was, I'm surprised Sloan said yes and here's why: for this to work plot-wise, Eric has to screw up now. She has to know this too. It's all happy and fresh and new now, but a married guy hanging out with Vincent Chase is going to create some serious couples issues. Then again, I could be way off there. God... what if they get pregnant now? Lloyd is totally going to end up babysitting.

Drama
Again, long time coming. Is John Chase a great actor? Hell no. But if anyone else in Hollywood can get a star vehicle on TV, then why not Drama? It's about time a network head decided to take a chance on him. Here's the problem - if Drama is locked in with a holding agreement, then he's committed to shooting pilots for whatever they throw at him. This has the potential to be a nightmare all over again for Johnny. If he's sick of rejections, how's he going to feel after he shoots three or four pilots and none of them get a greenlight?

Ari
Brilliant. I already said it, but Ari should always carry a paintball gun. From his incredible speech to Mrs. Ari at the therapist to his own personal softening at the hands of Terrence's overdue apology, this was a brand new Ari. Giving Lloyd a legit agent job ("Congrats, You're Finally a Real Asian!") was just the icing on the cake. However, this has a lot of potential to get messy now. Adam Davies could still come back with an agency of his own and somehow rival TMA (good-bye MGA). Lloyd could become bigger than Ari in terms of clientele. Ari's own job, now much larger in scope, could threaten his marriage.

So there's some food for thought, but consider this too - there's been plenty of buzz that season seven could be Entourage's last. If it is, talk about a great run. This finale set up a lot though. Anyone else got predictions?

cress d

I thought this was the best ep. of Entourage in a long time. Ari w/ a paintball gun was frakkin hilarious. Eric/Sloan was lame. This was a great Entourage episode people. I was initially unsatisfied w/ the beginning of this season, but it turned out nicely.

October 06 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LSheist

I think this finale was cliched. Vince going off to film a movie (which will be completed by the start of season 7 and we are left to yet another premiere) and Turtle just round abouting back to hanging with his boys. Let's say it, this season was horrible. The cameos were often ill-placed. No character devolpment, really, because with the exception of Eric (and maybe not even an exception) all the main characters are left in the spot they were in the start of the season. They should have Vince go to the oscars, go to the MTV awards, have him go to hollywood parties (where cameos would not be ill-timed) and just show the intricacies of being a $20M movie star. That's why I started watching. They also barely all hung out this season, so it seemed weird when they were all on camera together.

October 06 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Matt Damon is not an Oscar winning actor. He is an actor that has won an Oscar for screenwriting...

October 06 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harper

Well I guess this episode was a long time coming. They finally sucked every last bit of energy and excitement out of the show. First two seasons where really pretty good but this episode was really just a final nail in the coffin.

October 05 2009 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EC

There still is the possibility of Ashley, E's formar flame, reappearing and saying that she's pregnant! That would really steam up the Sloan front !!

October 05 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I agree that this episode could have served as the series finale. It most mostly satisfying.

Yes, the E/Sloan storyline was perhaps cliche, but it came to its logical conclusion. I totally identify with E (we're a lot alike) and I live a bit vicariously through him. So to see Emmanuelle Chriqui back in his arms was a good moment. Plus she looked so f'ing beautiful. Yum.

Like I said last week, I would have liked to see the whole purchase of TMA by Ari played out over a couple of episodes or as part of a season-long arc, but I think it sets up a good situation for S7.

Next season will probably be its last, and maybe for a good reason. I love this show. Have every episode DL'd on my HD, so let's hope the final 12 really rock.

October 05 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

While Ari is entertaining, I would be most pleased if someone would actually just take his ass to court for what a loutish, abusive boss he is complete with paint ball physical assault.

Loved the episode. I do wish the Eric/Sloan thing would have been worked out a little less goofy.

October 05 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GL's comment
Garrett

I found this entire episode to be outlandish. From Ari and the paintball gun to Matt Damon and his pressuring Vince to pay money for American kids even though he went to Haiti. If I was Vince I would be like "Yeah, I just donated $150,000 dollars. It went to another nonprofit organization to help kids. Now stop hounding me."
Eric proposing to Sloane out of left field at first made no sense but then this is something I think he would do. And Turtle's storyline was the most consistent throughout the season.

October 05 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Honestly, that wasn't a very good finale at all beyond Drama and Vince's storyline. I wasn't expecting a happy ending for Turtle and Jamie but the Sloan/Eric story was so cliched and terrible. How many times has that scenario played out on TV? I know cliches are cliches for a reason and Entourage has never been known for its creativity but this was the one chance to show some and they dropped the ball.

When the guest star (Matt Damon) carries the show--the season finale at that--you have problems. Hopefully next season is the end because this show grew stale after 3 seasons and I think this was the season it finally hit me.

October 05 2009 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Justin's comment
Ramathorn

Entourage rocks...I'm gonna kill myself when it is over for good. Life is pain...haha

October 05 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply