December 22, 2014

What should happen to Letterman?

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 5th 2009 12:39PM
LettermanDavid Letterman's confession last Thursday was the last we've heard from him on the subject (Friday's show is taped earlier in the week - he returns tonight). The columnists and pundits and fans have had their say, though. Some people defend him, some dislike him, and some aren't fazed by it at all.

But beyond the "creepy" factor of it (that's Dave's own word), what about the moral and/or legal side of it? Should Letterman be fired? Reprimanded? Will he be sued? Should people stop watching him? Should advertisers leave his show? Should one of the women come out and do a "Ten Things About Dating David Letterman" list?

What should happen to Letterman?
Nothing, let's move on.1726 (75.3%)
Suspend him.74 (3.2%)
I hope advertisers leave in droves.279 (12.2%)
Fire him!213 (9.3%)

Patti Brewer

This story would die down if Nancy Grace and Today Show would stay out of it. Big deal. Consenting adults having sex. What else is new???? Someone was just trying to make some money from it and failed. Funny how this went from extortion to Letterman being the main story line.

October 11 2009 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnny

It could be worse. He could be hosting every night on NBC at 10 pm Eastern.

October 06 2009 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Johnny's comment
Phish

Leno is a much better human being that dave the ape will ever aspire to be.

October 07 2009 at 3:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DM Diamond

We must remember that Letterman is not a politician he is infact an entertainer who just happens to be involved in a scandal that is being played out in the media.. True if we an elected politician, people would be yelling for his head but this is not the case. The bottom line unless ratings drop significantly, CBS affiliates refuse to carry the show or advertising dollars stop coming in then this will just blow over at some point.....But honestly, I dont care to here is jokes about it and it sounds disingenuous Dave...

October 06 2009 at 7:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

LETTERMAN IS A CREEP, HE COMES OFF AS OBNOXIOUS AND IS AN A**HOLE.
HE PUT THE JOBS OF HIS CO-WORKERS AT RISK, HIS MARRIAGE AT RISK, HIS KIDS MUST BE DISAPPOINTED.
ALL FOR WHAT?
YEA WORST COMES TO WORST HE'LL GET FIRED, BUT HE'S A MULTIMILLIONAIRE WHO CAN LIVE OFF HIS SAVINGS FOR A FEW GENERATIONS. WHAT ABOUT HIS COWORKERS? HOW ARE THEY GONNA FEED THEIR FAMILIES, CAUSE THIS IDIOT COULDNT KEEP HIS ZIPPER SHUT.
WHAT AN ASS!

October 06 2009 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Phish's comment
Scott R

And there you have some silly comments. A little suspicious though, coming right after my comment.

October 06 2009 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I sincerely doubt anything's going to happen to Letterman's show.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, Bob Barker was sued multiple times for sexual harassment, wrongful termination and malicious prosecution and had a 3 year relationship with one of the show models (who was responsible for one of those suits after the relationship ended).

What happened to Bob and his career at CBS? Nothing.
He continued on, retired on his own terms, and is so beloved that when he made a guest appearance on TPIR this spring, they had to stop taping for an hour while the audience calmed down.

If that's how they treat someone who actually got sued, I don't think Letterman's got anything to worry about.

October 06 2009 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott R

While I am a fan of monogamous relationships and such, I don't believe I have any right to judge Dave on this, even though I find it a tad creepy (his words) since he is the boss of the show (did he use his position irresponsibly, etc, etc).

What concerns me more is the pre-emptive attacks I'm seeing in these comments and elsewhere against 'the tight-ass evangelicals' and other social conservatives who MAY not take such a kind look upon the situation (but haven't yet).

I haven't seen any responses here against Dave, but please could you hold up on the hatred and vitriol against these hypothetical opponents? Just wait till some idiot opens their mouth when they shouldn't have (and there probably will be), and then proceed with your reasoned and non-emotional arguments as to why they are incorrect in their thinking.

October 06 2009 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sage

I say good on him... I think Letterman has handled this all well, and I don't give a crap who he's slept with. I don't give a crap who anyone has slept with. Even though I don't even care for Letterman's show, I think it's _GREAT_ that he had the gumption to turn it around on the guy who was blackmailing him.

And... honestly... I don't find it very creepy. Just because I don't find him attractive, doesn't mean he isn't to some people, and just because you're old/fat/skinny/pale/whatever... doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy a FULL life and ALL that may entail.

October 05 2009 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sage's comment
Phish

WHAT ABOUT THE PPL WHO WORK FOR HIM A-HOLE? THEY MIGHT GET FIRED IF THE SHOW SHUTS DOWN. WHY DID HE HAVE TO SCREW AROUND AT THE WORK PLACE? IS HE THAT DESPERATE? HE'S TOAST NOW IN MY BOOK.

October 06 2009 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jose

I am amazed by the responses here. This isn't some guy having an affair. It's about a boss that encourages his employees to sleep with him. Imagine a work environment where success depends on your willingness to sleep with the boss. And don't tell me that wasn't the case here.

In most offices this would be grounds for firing and a sexual harrasment suit against the company for looking the other way, which CBS obviously did. This was serial behavior and there is no way they didn't know about it.

October 05 2009 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jose's comment
YouFaceTheTick

There's nothing illegal about a boss sleeping with employees. If he punished someone or harassed them that's different. The guy's been in the biz for 30+ years and not one sexual harassment lawsuit.

October 06 2009 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Nobody's business. He had sex with consenting adults. It's between the man and his wife. Keep in mind...he's an ENTERTAINER. He owes society nothing.

October 05 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Granny

As I see it, only way he can be fired is if there is a morals clause in his contract or one of the gals that he boinged files a complaint against him, that will not happen as they like their pay checks.

October 05 2009 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Granny

I don't hate the man, just can't stand him. Don't care enough to use that much energy, the energy that hate requires. The entire tale does not surprise me in the least, he is pond scum of the lowest order, again, in my opinion....

October 05 2009 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply