September 30, 2014

Letterman needs to stop talking about blackmail scandal... immediately

by Joel Keller, posted Oct 6th 2009 10:07AM
You knew that after a weekend of blackmail scandal news and tabloid stories, David Letterman wasn't going to open his show on Monday just telling jokes about Chicago losing the Olympics. In fact, he started off the proceedings with a bang, asking the audience, "Did your weekend just fly by?"

Then he proceeded telling some pretty funny jokes about the scandal; he spent the weekend "raking my hate mail," that it was "chilly outside the house and chilly inside the house," and that the next phase is to go on Oprah and sob. He even acknowledged his odd comedic predicament by trailing off on jokes about Bill Clinton, Mark Sanford and Eliot Spitzer, realizing that he's not in the position to poke fun at those folks.

But then, after the break, he sincerely apologized to his staff for putting them through this mess, and said he had a lot of work to do to repair things with his wife, Regina Lasko. It was at that moment (video below) that I realized that Dave needs to stop talking about this mess... immediately:

The self-deprecating jokes Dave told in the monologue were a good deflection of the seriousness of what's going on in his life, but the more jokes he made, the more I felt that he was digging a hole he couldn't get out of. And then when he made that apology, sincere as it was, it felt like the hole just got much, much deeper. Luckily, he didn't do a Top Ten list about the incident, or I'd have started to think he was wallowing in his own misery in front of millions.

That's why it's time for Dave to stop talking about this incident and move on. It's going to be tough for him to do, as more information comes out about his various affairs, especially when this case goes to trial. He's never been shy about inserting jokes about the various weird things that he goes through; he alluded to "Mrs. David Letterman" many times during his Late Night days, for instance.

But those scandals didn't directly involve his personal behavior. The more jokes he drops about this particular scandal, the more guilty he's going to look. And, to be honest, that's not going to be good for either the quality of his show or the soundness of his marriage. So, hopefully, Dave is done with this, and we can just settle in to see more Top Ten lists about what to ask before adopting a monkey.

YouFaceTheTick

Why can;t Letterman mock Spitzer or Clinton? i think you're VERY confused about what Letterman is - he's an entertainer. A clown. A limbaugh (hill billy heroin). An O'Reilly (sexual harassment lawsuit). He's a guy who pokes fun for a living and really his sex life with his staff isn't relevant as he is after all JUST an entertainer.

October 07 2009 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

How can anyone feel sorry for Letterman?

October 06 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to const's comment
Margaret Calvert

I don't feel "sorry" for Letterman. I'm more sad than anything else. I've been a fan of his for many years and I'm sad that he opened himself up to this type of situation. As I read one time "You playa da game; you paya da price." And, he's paying the price. I just wish he would have used better judgement, but I'm still a fan and will continue to watch his show. If we boycotted all celebs who do things like this, imagine what would happen to Hollywood. I think it might disappear compeltely. I've never cheated on a spouse, but I'm probably not the only one with a skelaton or two in my closet. Think about yourself before you condemn others too much. I hope Dave is able to work things out with his wife and that he gets on a better path after all of this is over.

October 06 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan McGuckin

Sympathy for victims of crime is so over rated.

October 06 2009 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kfarrelly123

Maybe Sarah Palin should open her next appearance by making fun of Letterman's situation, then she could target his family the way he did hers. I have no sympathy for letterman, he's an idiot.

October 06 2009 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kfarrelly123's comment
Bryan McGuckin

Palin couldn't handle Katie Couric. I would love to see Palin go on Letterman. He'd destroy her.

October 06 2009 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott R

Wow, now who's moralizing about what people should and shouldn't do? Let Dave do what he feels is best for the situation. Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean its the wrong thing for him to do. I think the honesty and openness is a good thing, especially after all the secrecy surrounding the situation.

He feels he did something worth apologizing for, so he's doing it. That's something a Heigl or other head-swollen celebrity just couldn't do. Props to him.

October 06 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I disagree too. He's finally become human. I think he's balancing it well, I mean, if he doesn't mention it it's weird, and he's a comedian so...the obvious thing is to make jokes about it. It's his show, if he wants to do that, do that. Self-depricating humor also has a valid place in things like this...I mean, he's apologizing, pretending it isn't happening isn't going to help. Oh, and ratings. Big ratings.

October 06 2009 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Calvert

I completely disagree. Give him a day or two to get through it on-air. I thought he handled it brilliantly Monday night and all weekend looked forward to hearing what he had to say about the situation. He's talked about it ONE night after the initial announcement so I don't really think you can say he's "over-talking" the situation yet. Give the man a little space.

October 06 2009 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richardbeaudin605

I think he'll lay off after last night, yes he does like to run lame comedy bits into the ground ("Will it float" anyone?) but with more serious stuff I dont think he does that. I think it will end up being like how he approaches his time hosting the Academy Awards, he'll make an occasional monologue joke, but thats about it.

October 06 2009 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rod

Nice article about latest news on David Letterman. I really feel sorry for David and all the trouble he has gotten into... again...It goes to shwo yout he state the world is in today and maybe we should all just take a long look at whats going on with todays moral fibver in this country...
Rod Bird Garden Bridge builder, woodworker, Author and free lance writer shares his thoughts..

October 06 2009 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply