September 2, 2014

The Ally Bank commercials are driving me batty

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 6th 2009 3:37PM
Ally Bank CommercialsIn the commercials-that-are-driving-me-batty department this week, Ally Bank is taking top honors. There's just something so wrong (I know, that's the point of the commercials) about giving a kid something and then taking it away from them.

It wouldn't be so bad if the kids seemed like they were in on the commercial. But when they look up with those sad eyes at whomever is taking the thing away, it just makes me feel bad.

And, frankly, I've probably seen these ads 50 times, but never took notice of what they were selling, because I felt so bad for the kids. It wasn't until I started thinking about writing about it here that I had to pay attention so I could find the videos on YouTube.

Personally, I like happy ads that make me want to go out and buy/rent/use whatever it is they're trying to sell me -- because it'll make me feel GOOD (I'm the perfect little consumer that way). Not ads where kids are played as the victim of some ruthless adult. Here are two of the worst Ally Bank ads. Someone needs to punch this guy in the face.

The Bike:

The Pony:

Randy P

Without a doubt these are the best commercials in recent memory. I hope the creators are paid well. The best part is when the little girl raises her eybrows and nods her head toward the jerk that gave her friend a real pony but only gave her a piece of junk toy pony.

Kudos...and I would be more inclined to find an Ally bank and do business with them after viewing this series of commercials.

December 13 2009 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
driver

Does anyone here remember Pepsodent toothpaste? It died in the If not, it's because of their commercial/jingle "You'll wonder where the yellow went, When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent."

What did consumers take away from this? Pepsodent = Yellow Teeth. Negative associations stick to your own reputation. Ally Bank will learn this too.

November 22 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger S. Sattler

These commercials are MEAN. I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's a sad commentary on our society that so many people feel the opposite. It is horrific sometimes to see what we think is funny in our society and the values and behavior that reflects. Everytime they come on, we feel bad for the kids and angry at the adults for their meanness in taking advantege. They are driving us so crazy that I decided for the frst time in my 67 year life to contact the company to complain ask them to take them off. Sadly, it looks like we are lonely voices in the wind.

November 20 2009 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert norbut

I have to disagree. I think the Ally Bank "Pony" ad is, aesthetically, the best thing I have seen on TV this year. I seriously doubt that any damage was done to the little girls in these ads. It would have been a simple matter to explain to them, and their parents, that the pony would not be "for keeps" etc.

November 19 2009 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I have to disagree, I like these ads, I think they're funny. The one with the chunky kid & the red truck is my favorite, he has such a look of disbelief on his face when they guy gives him the cardboard truck. And the one with the pony, the slighted little girl has the perfect expression of annoyed on her face. They got some good kid actors for these parts.

October 07 2009 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Awperator

So many haters on this site! I haven't seen either of these commercials before. They are hilarious!
Thanks for reviewing them Jane

October 07 2009 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Tommy - Just giving my opinion. That's what the "Op" is in OpEd. That's what bloggers do.

MCW - Those commercials don't bother me as much as they do some people. I kind of like her cheery attitude.

October 07 2009 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jane Boursaw's comment
Jennifer

"That's what the "Op" is in OpEd."

Jane, thx for posting this, I never saw these commercials and I also sympathize with the kids. But you should get your facts straight. The term "OpEd" refers to the page "opposite the editorial page." It's the "Ed" (editorial) that refers to an opinion piece.

October 07 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

wow, we hate ads, rarely watch them as most of our TV is TIVO'd or Redzone channel and I must say I love those commercials. Nothing quite as funny as a kid that's peeved and unwilling to saying anything...

October 07 2009 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tommy

When did TV Squad turn into a blog-version of The View? "There's just something so wrong ... about giving a kid something and then taking it away from them"? Are you bonkers!?!?

Jane -- stick to reviewing things about Jon & Kate, anything ABC airs and random housewife-demographic-targeted garbage. Your "OpEd" piece is mind-numbing.

You're not a journalist, and you just proved it.

October 07 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

Worse than these commercials: http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/15/80/image_7680151.jpg ?

I think not.