July 31, 2014

And the most influential man of 2009 is ...

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 7th 2009 4:01PM
MacFarlane... not who you think.

AskMen.com has released the list of the 49 most influential men of 2009 (not sure why it's 49 and not 50) and there are several TV people on the list, including FOX News anchor Shepard Smith, chef Mario Batali, and Seth MacFarlane.

But the number one person? The person who AskMen thinks is the most influential? He's from TV too, and he's actually fictional.

It's Don Draper from Mad Men. No, I don't mean it's Jon Hamm, the man who plays Draper, it's the character himself. Readers can actually vote on whether or not they think each choice is accurate or if they should been ranked differently. Right now, Draper's score is 80% for people who think he should be ranked lower and 20% for people who think he's ranked appropriately.

I voted for the latter. Draper (and the show itself) have struck a pop culture chord the past year or two, in everything from fashion to the Emmys, so it's a clever choice.

Luigi

I don't understand why they selected only 49 men and not 50!!! Is there any special reason? Anyway, I'm glad an Italian guy is in this ranking ;)

October 12 2009 at 5:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

Biz Stone ? anybody ??

October 08 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ðan's comment
Jason Hughes

An entire day later? You've had plenty of time to look at that list by now. That's hilarious! :)

October 08 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheJangle

I can't believe J.J. Abrams wasn't on the list. It seemed more like a popularity contest than a measure of influence.

Also, shouldn't the writers and creators of Mad Men been listed instead of the character they have invented?

October 08 2009 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Just kill me now. As if I didn't hate Mad Men enough, they would have to go ahead and do this.

October 07 2009 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Oh be quiet Richard MJ's influence was very strong and will continue to remain that way for decades to come.

October 07 2009 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malfoy Roark

Don Draper is the man. I remember telling my friends that almost all men can be a lot more like Don Draper and most women could be a little more like Betty Draper.

The way he carries himself, yea, there is something every man can learn from that.

I remember when the daughter had taken the $5 and the grandfather brought it up and Don offered to pay it back. The dad said:
"That's the problem with you people, you think money can solve any problem"
Don responds with something such as "No, but it can solve this particular one."

He always knows the right thing to say.

October 07 2009 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eightyfiver

This bizarre fascination with 'Mad Men' is really getting tiresome.. I'm only 24, but to me it just looks like an excuse for old (white) men to relive a time when the world was 'in order'.

October 07 2009 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

I think it's pretty sick! The only reason he was picked is because he does what many men would like to do--sex with secretary and anyone else he comes across that he's attracted to. No real man should be like this person! If this were an accurate rating, TV personalities should not be included. I also think it's bad that people would think Simon Cowell has that much influence. ONLY on American Idol and he does pretty badly there! And, Michael Jackson! Really! Because he died of medication overdose? He had talent, but as an influence he lacked very much!

October 07 2009 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

I'm confused, why does the article about the most influential man being Don Draper have a picture of Seth MacFarlane? [I think that's him,
right?]

October 07 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to William's comment
Leroy

Because putting Draper's picture there would have been a spoiler which would have elicited snarky comments from all the TV Squad spoilerphobes.

October 08 2009 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

I'm confused, why is the article about the most influential man being Don Draper have a picture of Seth MacFarlane? [I think that's him, right?]

October 07 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply