August 23, 2014

New Doctor Who logo revealed

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 7th 2009 11:41AM
New Doctor Who logo
Every once in a while, the British television show Doctor Who is revamped. This is usually done by replacing the lead actor and his supporting crew. However, it is also done by changing the logo of the series. As a result, certain logos are associated with certain eras. Yesterday, the BBC has revealed on their website the logo to be associated with the Matt Smith era of the show. They also have a video of the historical logos of the show.

I don't have a particular favorite logo, although I liked both the "diamond" logo of the 70's, most closely associated with Tom Baker's era, and the "neon" logo of the 80's, which spanned three Doctors (Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Colin Baker). The current one isn't bad either with the cylinder thing with pointy ends (what is that shape called?).

A video preview of thenew logo is available on certain sites such as Topless Robot. What do you think of it? Which logo has been your favorite?

dsfulker

Looks like it's getting too modern to me. The DW reminds me too much of a rap motif...

Yo Yo Yo Man, it's DW in the house!

October 10 2009 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r.merz

The Tardus out of the initails is pretty clever, but the boxey look of the name sucks,it is boring and unoriginal. I'll complain about it when I attend Chicago Tardus 2009 in November with any of the guest speakers there from the BBC.

October 08 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wendywel

It looks ridiculous

October 08 2009 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JerseyGirl71

That's great.. but when is the show coming back on here in the U.S.? It's been ages and I miss it in my Friday night Sci-Fi lineup!!

October 08 2009 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

JPN-

Remember that in the UK Dr Who _IS_ a kids show....

October 07 2009 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm still making up my mind about the new logo. I like the retro feel it's got, but there's something about it I haven't quite warmed up to yet.

October 07 2009 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Oh, and that movie is not watchable in the US, the history of the logos.

October 07 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Um, it's called an oval maybe?

I'm lukewarm on the new logo. It reminds me of something for a children's show.

October 07 2009 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

The "pointy ends" are called serifs.

I really like the new logo; the Tardis represented by the letters "D" and "W" is really clever.

October 07 2009 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply