November 28, 2014

Goodbye Southland

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 8th 2009 10:07PM
Southland
Oh, this is going to tick off sooooo many people.

NBC has decided to cancel Southland! They have finished filming six episodes for season two but NBC suddenly pulled the plug on the show. There's still a chance that a cable network could pick it up. I can picture the show on FX or TNT or USA. Or maybe NBC could put it on Bravo? Nah, then they'd have no room for Real Housewives of Bangor, Maine.

I can't say I watched every episode of the show, but it certainly had potential, and I was interested in how they were going to resolve what happened to Tom Everett Scott in the first season finale.

Another reason fans are going to be ticked off? The show is going to be replaced by another episode of Dateline. Producer John Wells says: "I'm disappointed that NBC no longer has the time periods available to support the kind of critically-acclaimed series that was for so many years, a hallmark of their success. We remain extremely proud of Southland and are actively looking for another home for the series."

patrick

Screw you NBC. You actually put a show on the air that is great, and you cancel it because it was too "real" for a drama. Well, GE owns NBC, and we know how "real" they are ha ha ha. Anyway, I am sure another network will pick up Southland. At least, I hope.

October 25 2009 at 5:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zurabinho

According to the LA Times, TNT could be the only solution for Southland, since A&E apparently already passed.

And a more recent article :

October 13 2009 at 6:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mel

It's certainly ticked me off. I loved that show. It was such quality drama and had so much promise. Shame on NBC.

October 12 2009 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Hey, if anybody from NBC is looking in on this, why not put the show on Saturday night. For some reason Saturday night has become a dumping ground for
re-runs. Why not put something new on instead? What do you have to lose? I mean, outside of a few million viewers.

October 10 2009 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny J

WTF? Can't NBC just cancel Trauma and the Nurse Jackie rip-off Mercy instead?

October 09 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

you suck, leno.

October 09 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Considering that it had fairly dependable ratings, I'd say that Medium was actually the first victim and Southland second.

October 09 2009 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

NBC needs a government bailout. They are going down the tubes faster than ever.

Thanks for canceling one of the last shows I watch on NBC. I'm now down to only two shows per week and I KNOW that I'm not alone here. Leno's show is tanking yet they cost so little to make that its still cheaper than investing in traditional shows so it stays on. Hasta la vista, baby!

October 09 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Too bad that a show that showed promise like Southland goes while floundering shows like Heroes and just plain awful shows like Trauma get to stay. The first victim of the "Jay Leno Effect" is Southland. Who's Next?

October 09 2009 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Whatever, typical NBC behavior, Renew the crap and get rid of the edgier stuff.

I really loved Southland, it had serious heart. F U NBC.

October 09 2009 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply