September 23, 2014

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - One of the best in TV history

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 8th 2009 6:12PM
As Bob mentioned in his DVD post this week, The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Fifth Season was released in a 3-disc set on Tuesday. I have fond memories of watching this show as a kid, and the clips after the jump confirm once again that it featured one of the best casts in TV history.

Not only was each actor perfect for their role, but their timing and delivery of lines was second to none. I also love all of the 1970s-era props, clothes and decor, because of course, the show was made in the 1970s.

Season five ran from September 1974 to March 1975 (ah, the good old days when shows actually ran from September to March), and featured some all-time great episodes, like "Will Mary Richards Go to Jail?," when Mary refused to name a source for her news story and ended up in the slammer, and "Not a Christmas Story," when the WJM-TV crew got trapped in the newsroom by a snowstorm.

When you think of the cast and the impact they've had on TV history, it's truly amazing. But when gathered together in one show, Mary Tyler Moore (Mary Richards), Gavin MacLeod (Murray Slaughter), Ed Asner (Lou Grant), Ted Knight (Ted Baxter), Valerie Harper (Rhoda Morgenstern), Georgia Engel (Georgette Franklin Baxter), Betty White (Sue Ann Nivens) and Cloris Leachman (Phyllis Lindstrom) were nothing short of pure magic.

Take a look at these clips from season five of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Lou and that Woman:

The Outsider:

The New Sue Ann:

Ellie

Ok- I actually found myself somewhat DEPRESSED to discover that Rhoda was not in Season 5. I mean- as in... I became rebellious against watching the dvd once I discovered that. Talk about needing to get a life!Sheesh! But anyway- I was just surprised at how much I apparently felt Valerie Harper to be a major part of that show for me... I was so surprised as I thought I recalled her being with the show through the end with "Rhoda" being a spin-off after MTM ENDED. Well, I'm going to get an attitude adjustment and then go and watch Season 5 now... I will try to "put on a happy face" hee!

November 24 2009 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

My favorite episode from the entire series came in that season; "Ted Baxter's Famous Broadcasters' School." Seeing Ted and company sing the praises of the school to the lone student who enrolled is absolutely hysterical.

October 09 2009 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Ack. I hate agree with a red sox fan...but you got it just right. I would throw in My Three Sons in place of Wings.

October 09 2009 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
homestorecollection

I like comedy and Mary Tyler Moore

October 09 2009 at 4:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Cook is my Idol!

Mary Tyler Moore is one of my all-time favorite sitcoms too, along with Taxi, Wings, WKRP in Cincinatti, NewsRadio, and MASH. They all had great casts, great writing and plots, and likable characters. I can watch the DVD's of those shows over and over again and still LOL every time! I miss good sitcoms...

October 08 2009 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

One of the best shows ever. I could go on - but what the point - it's impossible to prove otherwise (I dare you internet).

I have learned my lesson with TV DVD sets - now I just wait for the entire series to be released - it's cheaper and often comes in better packaging and with more content.

October 08 2009 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply