August 1, 2014

CBS orders pilot for a new Hawaii Five-O ... again

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 9th 2009 9:03AM
hawaii_five_o
A little over a year ago, CBS was all a flutter with thoughts of a new Hawaii Five-O. Jane wrote about it and even allowed herself to get geeked about a new Jack Lord and company. Well, that incarnation by Criminal Minds executive producer Ed Bernero failed to make it into production. I guess it didn't have enough "Book 'em, Danno's" -- or maybe it had too many. Whatever the reason, that version died and a new one has been ordered. CBS now has a new plan for an updated Hawaii Five-O.

This one comes with a pilot commitment, so the 2009 Five-O might have a better shot. CSI: NY executive producer Peter Lenkov is overseeing the process and feature writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are tackling the script. If those names seem familiar, that's because you've seen them in the credits for J.J. Abrams related productions, including Alias, Fringe, Star Trek and Mission: Impossible III.

So it's going to be an update, but it will be more of a procedural in keeping with today's police dramas. There will still be a Steve McGarrett and probably a Danno. And it will be set in Hawaii (duh!).

The original Hawaii Five-O had legs. It ran for twelve seasons. If you can appreciate the blend of cop drama and glamorous location, you can see the appeal of a show like Hawaii Five-O. It 's not unlike the appeal of CSI: Miami. However, with Kurtzman and Orci attached, it's likely that they'll bring a new angle to the procedural. You gotta like their credits; if it's even a little as cool as Alias, I'm in.

So, if you were casting, who would you like to see in the role of Steve McGarrett? I'll go first... Alex O'Loughlin. (Don't laugh -- I think CBS won't stop casting him until he's in a hit, and Three Rivers doesn't seem to be it!) Now, you go. Tell me who should play McGarrett.

Talkback2000

I'd like to see them switch things up and make the lead detective a female...like "Dexter". Kelly Hu would be perfect!

November 27 2009 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Letzo

I think Don Johnson would be a great McGarrett!
If I could I'd email both Kurtzman and Orci I'd let them know directly.

October 20 2009 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KD McG

The Five-o betrayal. A while ago, i ranted and raved about CBS,because of the way they treated a TV movie version produced by Jack Lord and hence was very cynical about a new version. i was excited when Ed Bernero was spearheading a revival since he was and is a life-long fan of the show and he inferred that he would maintain many of the original elements. Now, CBS is "re-booting" with the guys from Star Trek writing and Lenko producing what right now could be "CSI: Hawaii" complete with the fast-pacing,playing to darker themes and probably a "re-imagining" discrediting the original. By the way, Star Trek was a good movie, but still left a lot to be desired. So, look for the new Five-O to star Chris Pine as a Mcgarrett type character and lots of emphasis on effects rather than stories. Note to CBS: please give this project to somebody who is a fan of the show unless you want it to end up like Knight Rider 2.0 NO FOLKS DON'T EXPECT THESE NEW GUYS TO ASK US FOR ANY INPUT; ED IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF PRODUCER, whereas these folks probably only care for a "CSI:Hawaii" series. I sincerely hope that I am proving to be wrong. Anyway, if you agree, please go to
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/hawaiifive0
Ps:will the new lead's car trasform, will he carry a phaser and say "Beam me up Danno?"

October 11 2009 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LizKS

I don't wanna see Alex in this remake. And if that happens please don't make him say "bookem' danno!" gad.

Three Rivers is a good show. Ya'll just need to step back and give it a running chance. I had some problems with the first episode but after I watched it a second time I liked it better. I think they need to fill out the characters and they probably will after a time. We gotta give this a chance because it's got a great message that NEEDS to be heard and Alex is really into this Dr. Andy character. He needs to be given the chance to make it work and people NEED to get a clue about organ donation. It's a desperate need all over the world.

October 11 2009 at 3:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barbrafan3

I could see Alex in this part and think he'd be great. He's such a wonderful actor and so beautiful.

October 10 2009 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiebaojin

I loved Hawaii Five-O (yeah, I'm old enough to remember it) and I do think that Alex O'Loughlin would make a great Steve McGarett. An up-dated version of this show would be so cool.

October 10 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dar

Alex O'Loughlin I think would be great as Steve. I used to watch the show back in the day and I loved it so IF by chance Three Rivers doesn't survive, then I think Alex should be given the opportunity. I would like to know what he thinks and if he used to watch the show.

October 09 2009 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

Anyone remember the show with Michael Beihn a few years ago called Hawaii? Yeah, it wasn't a direct remake of Hawaii Five-0, but it only lasted a few episodes. I don't think a network would give it much chance since the costs to produce in Hawaii have to huge.

October 09 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lanouette

I am a huge fan of Alex and I love Hawaii Five-O! So If Alex is in this new show, I will be very glad

October 09 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

When you want an actor to reprise a beloved police captain who you gunna call? Why Steve Martin of course. He did such a wonderful job with Inspector Closue.

October 09 2009 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply