September 30, 2014

Project Runway: A Fashionable New Beginning

by Michael Pascua, posted Oct 9th 2009 5:00AM
Nicolas looks a little worried about the competition(S06E08) We finally get a challenge this season of Project Runway that doesn't involve models. I blame Models of the Runway for making so many model-centric challenges this season.

The designers had to make divorcee dresses out of wedding gowns. They had only one day, and the winner got the last immunity of the season. To make it worse, the contestants were only given $25 and a two yard maximum at Mood.

The designers should have remembered Steven Rosengard from season four and used the wedding gown as trim. Luckily, no one ended up making a funeral dress.

The designers got to pick the clients via the velvet bag. All the early picks got the dresses with miles of train, meaning Shrin got the short end of the stick. She got the dress with the least amount of fabric. Out of all the dresses, I would be most afraid of Nicolas' client Stephanie's Renaissance fair dress. At least Shrin's didn't have a lot of messy trim to remove.

When Tim makes his rounds, he tries his best to give good suggestions. I'm a little surprised that he got positive vibes from Christopher's outfit. Christopher seems to be on a downward spiral trying to push the envelope; he really needs to find himself again. Tim questioned Logan and he didn't listen. My real question is why Tim didn't confront Nicolas. His piece was so granola that even Nicolas had no confidence in it. Then he mysteriously landed in the middle.

Along with Michael Koors, our judges were Zanna Roberts and Tamara Mellon. When the divorcees walked down the runway, I couldn't help but dislike the use of the mini jackets. Carol Hannah's dress was beautiful without the black thing covering the shoulders; the colors didn't even match. Epperson had the same effect, but to make it worse, when Melissa removed her jacket, the sleeves looked just like the jacket. It was lazy for Epperson to continue using that stitch technique. I was a little shocked by the choice of boots on Gordana's client and agreed with Zanna when she said it'd look nice in pumps, as well.

The highs were Irina (clever lace usage, expensive), Shrin (trendy geometric pattern, chic), Gordana (edgy, body flattering) with the winner being Gordana. She'll be guaranteed one more challenge. The lows were Christopher (too much volume, hefty bag), Epperson (Oktoberfest, pirate wench), and Logan (poor execution, unflattering). Epperson was sent home.

I agree with the elimination this week, mostly because Epperson has been in the bottom three times, and his pieces were very similar with the exception of his Western piece. Epperson fell into this season's biggest trap: the last minute dress. It defeated Qrystal, Johnny, and R'amon. After Heidi's comments, he may have survived with his first dress.

Next week a Grammy artist, who is providing a challenge involving a lot of sequins. Also I welcome the return of Nina Garcia, though both Marie Claire judges Zoe and Zanna have done a good job. How did the episode fare? Leave comments below.

[Watch clips and episodes of Project Runway at SlashControl.]

banker

Am I the only one in the universe that thinks Gordonas dress is a copy of the newspaper dress made by blonde woman whose name I cant recall ? It has the same narrow strips sewn together sideways strapless form fitting look. Even the same color. They have been so critical in past seasons of designers that make things similar to successful designers I cant believe nobody else has seen this..... I went to the website just to make sure my I was remembering the other dress correctly.....

In case you cant tell I dont like Gordana at all, I think shes terrible....

October 15 2009 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to banker's comment
Michael Pascua

I don't think Gordana is terrible, I think a lot of her clothes are boring, middle-of-the-ground, and very commercial ready-to-wear. But that's the appeal.

I do see a similarity between Althea's paper dress and Gordana's rehashed wedding dress except that Althea's was better made. I think that the judges saw that Gordana was trying something different (Reconstructed) and awarded her.

She's coasting while the drama queens (Ra'Mon, Johnny, Mitchell) break down and shoot themselves in the foot and the other boring contestants (Qrystal, Epperson, Louise) disappear.

I think Nicolas and Logan have been struggling; Christopher and Shrin are begging for breakdowns. This leaves Irina, Althea, Carol Hannah and Gordana as the final four. Then it's up to Gordana if she gives us a sweater or not.

October 15 2009 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

Why is Nicolas still in the running? I just don't get it. But I will admit that his look of utter horror when his client said she wants to have his baby was the funniest thing in the episode.

October 10 2009 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I thought this was an interesting challenge and a good twist to the "dress the every woman" challenge they have every season......I believe that the guest judge next week is Christina Aguilera. I know there were some stories about her being a guest judge for PR soon. I can't wait until next week. :-)

October 09 2009 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Piper

I think Gordana's model was wearing the boots because she wanted her dress to have a punk influence.

October 09 2009 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Did not like Shirin's dress, and did not like her feeling trapped from the get-go. One thing she must know after five seasons of Project Runway = you do NOT let the client dictate a stupid idea, and you do NOT get overwhelmed. The judges will always err on the side of chic as long as the model looks good.
I for one am sorry to see Epperson go, happy to see that Irina didn't win (she would have been less gracious), and that Gordana did (I liked the edginess, and the boots).

October 09 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kdm40244

This years contestants seem slower at getting out the garment...maybe it is the LA influence.

October 09 2009 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

i am pretty sure Gordana's divorcee chose to wear the boots with the dress. it didn't look bad to me, but i'd wear that dress with some safe pumps... and that divorcee didn't seem like a safe kinda gal.

October 09 2009 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply