October 25, 2014

What was in the graffiti on Fringe last night?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 9th 2009 4:28PM
Fringe graffiti
Call me Fringe obsessed, but after commenter Schwack mentioned something about "Easter eggs" hidden in the graffiti on the wall during Charlie and Olivia's fight scene in last night's episode, I had to go back and take a look myself.

Specifically, Schwack wrote in the comments: "Some are saying there are some "easter eggs" in the mural/graffiti during Olivia and Charlie's fight scene. I went back to it and I did [see] the Fringe's seahorse, a portrait of Van Gogh and another man, though I don't recognize him.

I found the episode on SlashControl and took a few screen shots to see what I could see, enlarging and sharpening as much as I could without crashing our pages. Above is the main one and I must admit, I see nothing. The guy on the far end looks a little like Leonard Nimoy, but that would be too easy. More after the jump...

In the upper left-hand corner here, you can see the apple (I think), one of the symbols shown before going to commercial.

Fringe graffiti
And in this one, you can see one of the other symbols, a butterfly (maybe), in the lower right-hand corner next to Charlie. What else do you guys see in these images? Now I'm wondering if they had someone actually paint the mural for the episode, but more likely, they found it while scouting locations and added in these little Fringe elements to make us get screen shots and examine them with a magnifying glass like the kooky Fringe nerds that we, uh, I ... am.

Fringe graffiti

Marc Girbau

Here's the seahorse ;-)
Hey guys, I've arrived at this site though a screenshoot and tinyeye.com. It's amazing how this site works!

August 12 2011 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nigel Ray

Hahahah.. sometimes a cigar is just a cigar guys. I live in Vancouver and that alley is right behind where I used to work... That mural has been there for at least the last 3 or 4 years. I'm also pretty sure that nothing has been added to it.

October 10 2009 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nigel Ray's comment
Phethr

There is something added - the words "To sleep perchance to dream" in the upper right, above Van Gogh. Also, a line running down from those words to Van Gogh's ear (!). Look again. :)

October 15 2009 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blue Sunflower

Wow, Jarridian! Thanks! :D

Fringe definitely added the "To sleep, perchance to dream" quote over Van Gogh's head.

October 10 2009 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Can anyone make out the words at the top right corner? Looks like:

"TO TO "

I also thought the man is supposed to be Van Gogh, not Bell.

October 09 2009 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
pet

Years ago Nimoy did a series of plays some were on HBO even playing Van Gogh as well as his brother.

October 10 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stan

The other portrait looks like Arnold's Swarzenegger's Terminator, doesn't it? Wearing the sunglasses holding a machine gun with his left arm? Just my guess.

October 09 2009 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stan's comment
Jarridian

If you want to really get your Geek on, I live where Fringe is filmed and I've seen this on the street before

There's a flicker image so you can see if they added anything :D

October 09 2009 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aimee

The two whitish columns in the upper middle of the mural look to be representations of the twin towers present in the alternate universe. That's all I can see so far....

October 09 2009 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Schwack

Yeah, I thought the other guy in the mural was William Bell but wasn't sure. Since I'm not sure how to post the pic of the seahorse I found...it's at the 38:04 scene where Olivia is thrown against the wall.....

October 09 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply