August 21, 2014

Chuck may be back sooner than we thought

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 10th 2009 1:35PM
chuck_nbc_levi
When NBC did its upfront -- it wasn't really like the other networks, because they had leaked so much information -- one of the things the powers that be decided to do was split the season into two sections. Or two official seasons. It all seemed a bit strange, and now that NBC has gotten off to such a dreadful start, things are changing. One change seems to be that Chuck may be back before March.

According to EW.com's Michael Ausiello, Chuck could be on the air by the end of October. Is this a Halloween treat or just another trick by NBC? I'm hoping for the former. Reportedly, the NBC execs have seen four episodes from the new Chuck season and they love it. The Chuck team also have Brandon Routh guesting on the show, and Angie Harmon, too.

If it's true that Chuck is coming back -- maybe as soon as the end of this month -- I have a request of NBC. Please, please, please, do not put Chuck back on Monday. Monday is one of the most competitive nights of TV. Whether 8-9 or 9-10, there's too much good TV for one night. Fox has House and Lie to Me; CBS has the whole sitcom lineup including Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother; ABC has Dancing with the Stars. And that doesn't even take in cable!

What kind of chance will Chuck have if you stack the deck against it? If I were programming for NBC, I'd give Chuck a shot on Friday at 8, with Law and Order following it. (Move Dateline, please!) There's less competition on Friday, and also lower expectations. If Chuck were able to beat Supernanny and Ghost Whisperer, perhaps NBC would give the show a back end order for 13 more episodes.

Chuck Returns Fall 2009 Page

What.. Are you kidding me? Fridays are a BIG no-no. Remember what happened to the FINALE f Prison Break Last season?! Fox moved the last few episodes to Friday nights (ew) and it had nowhere near the amount of viewers it should have had for a finale 2 hour episode.

Seriously! I made a hub about Chuck coming back early and I'm gonna keep it updates with any and all new updates!
Check it out - http://hubpages.com/hub/Chuck-Returns-To-Tv-Fall-2009

October 13 2009 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Ok this is simple, Give it 9 on Tuesdays, it has a strong lead in with Biggest Loser, when Biggest Loser ends, push Chuck (hoping it has some good ratings) to 8 and use it as a lead in to The First Day or whatever that disaster show is going to called so it has a strong lead in.

October 12 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I must be the only one on this site whose Monday is wide open by the time prime time hits.

I agree with most that Friday would be an appallingly bad night, due to the perceived graveyard effect.

Tuesday might be doable, depending on the time slot. Weds and Thurs are already overbooked.

Here's a thought - how about they run a repeat later in the week for people who can't catch original airtime? Either on NBC (like ABC's doing for FlashForward), or on USA or SciFi.

October 11 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Howey

Here's my suggestion:

October 11 2009 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Howey's comment
Sam

The idea of splitting "Loser" to air on Monday and Tuesday nights is really appealing. The problem might be that it appears to the same audience that watches "Dancing". I still think that the new game show will do a good job Mondays at 8 the way "Deal or no Deal" once did.

October 11 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tyler

Neither Monday nor Tuesday would be good ideas; Monday has too many good choices for pretty much every type of viewer, and Tuesday has both contest shows and the NCIS juggernaut. Tuesday at 8 would be a better choice than Monday, but it would still be tough.

I'm glad CBS has finally figured out that if you put a good show up against "reality" shows, a LOT of people will watch. Personally, I'll turn off the TV before I watch so-called reality or game shows, and with no real competition, it's no wonder they get high enough ratings to get renewed.

Yay for Chuck, though!

October 11 2009 at 5:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Therron

Tuesday is asking for trouble against NCIS and NCIS: LA not to mention when AI returns in Jan or whenever thats asking for even more trouble.

October 10 2009 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
antilucid

Friday night? Are you smoking something? As a writer for this website, you should know Friday nights are often kiss of death. I think Tuesday would be a great day.

October 10 2009 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pixel41

Forget Chuck, BRING BACK 'LIFE'! Life was way better than Chuck.

October 10 2009 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimberly

I vote for Tuesday nights. I am so swamped with shows on Monday, plus Monday night football so I have to watch one and TiVo one. Why not spread the shows around a bit.

October 10 2009 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CMG

I'm hoping for Wednesday at 8 ET, and bump Mercy to Friday. Unfortunately, I'm expecting it to land back on Monday night.

All I know is, Thursday and Friday would be BAD. Thursday is packed full, and Friday is where shows crawl to die a horrible and painful death.

October 10 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply