April 23, 2014

What I like about the new season (so far)

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 10th 2009 3:02PM
FlashForward
There are still a couple of new shows that haven't premiered yet, including two I'm really looking forward to, ABC's new version of V and FOX's new version of The Human Target (I know, I'm actually looking forward to two remakes). But they're not going to premiere until November and January, respectively, so here are my picks for the three new shows that I'm truly enjoying so far this new season. And somehow, they're all on ABC.

FlashForward. I bet a lot of people are going to pick this as the best new show, but I was kinda worried about it. I thought it would be too Lost-ish, but would suffer in comparison because it didn't have the strong cast and "gravitas" that Lost has. But it's a great show beyond any comparisons (and Dominic Monaghan hasn't even shown up yet!).

I wish the pilot was two hours instead of one. I wanted to see how the world is affected by the blackout, news reports and all that; seemed the FBI was on top of it rather quickly. But I'm in all the way with this mystery, and every episode has ended with a cool "whoa" moment that has me waiting until the next episode. And I love that they actually have a date for when this is supposed to happen, April 29, 2010, which nicely fits in timing-wise with the season finale.

The Middle

The Middle. Sure, you can say this is just Malcolm in the Middle with the focus on the mom (they both have "middle" in the title too!), but so what? It's engaging, every single member of the cast is great, and it's genuinely funny, unlike a lot of sitcoms (for example, Hank). And I like the fact that it isn't just all jokes and one-liners. There's a real family story going on here too, which is something that's in common with a lot of the good comedies on TV.

Shark Tank

Shark Tank. OK, technically this show started in the summer. Well, not technically, it did start in the summer, but I'm including it here because it is a new show and it started late enough to call it a fall show. I'm not sure why I like this so much since I wasn't too big a fan of American Inventor, a show Shark Tank resembles closely (both have inventors/entrepreneurs pitching ideas to experts, and even the lighting and long hallway are similar).

But I like Shark Tank more. I think it's the experts/investors they have. I'm sure a lot of the tension/arguing/disagreements are for show only, but I sense a lot of real disagreement and battling going on too, and I find it rather engrossing. I'm probably the right audience for this, since I'm into the world of business and advertising and entrepreneurship, and I love seeing the brilliant ideas receive interest from the investors and the bad ideas get shot down (really, a guy who wants to sell three socks in a package?). This is a fun show, and 90x more fun than I thought it could be.

Which new shows are your favorites?

sebastian

Why do people like The Good Wife. I just don't see it.

October 12 2009 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Good Wife hands down is one of the best new shows. Well written and acted.
It will be here to stay.

October 11 2009 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sage

I'm easy, so I like a lot of TV stuff.

I'm enjoying CougarTown, Modern Family, and The Good Wife.

I'm not surprised to be enjoying the forgotten, since I really like Christian Slater. I think it could be as good as Cold Case, or other decent but not great shows of it's type.

I'm surprised to be enjoying... Eastwick and Brothers. Eastwick is guilty fun, and Brothers is campy, but enjoyable--or at the least the pilot was, the second ep lost some, and I haven't yet seen the third.

October 11 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

Community, Cougar Town, Hank, Modern Family, FlashForward, and the Cleveland Show are new shows I'm watching and enjoying. Still to be watched on my dvr: The Middle.

second season, but only after the 6 episode long first season: Parks & Recreation and the canceled before premiering Southland is going to be missed by me alone I guess.

October 11 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm behind on everything, but as far as new shows go, I've got FlashForward, Community, Glee and Bored To Death waiting for me to find some time.

I've got a couple episodes of The Cleveland Show to scope out, but given that I tend to run hot and cold with McFarlane (Family Guy is okay, American Dad not so much) that one's touch-and-go.

I can't stand Patricia Heaton, so The Middle isn't even on my radar.

I'll probably at least audit V, even though it screams of Unnecessary Remake.

I'm tentatively looking forward to The Jeff Dunham Show - I like his work, but I'm not sure how it'll fit into a half hour format. OTOH, I was a fan of Madame's Place, so it could work.

October 11 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marali

I'll stick with FlashForward because I sense that the network is committed and I still remember how outrageously stupid I thought Lost was for the first few episodes.

I'm liking The Good Wife, have Glee stockpiled on my TIVO, don't watch the comedies, but have been enjoying the quilty pleasure but likely-to-be-cancelled Eastwick. Raised on Bewitched and raised my own children with Harry Potter. I'm a sucker for magic even when it's not so magical.

I TIVO'd the first episodes of every other new show on basic cable and none seemed worth pursuing. I'm giving Three Rivers a week two just because I think Alex O Loughlin is so hot but IMO that show is very soon going down in flames. Perhaps one iota better than the Treat Williams TNT clone from two summers ago.

Does anyone else see irony in shows with titles such as "Forgotten", "Mercy" and "Trauma" meeting tragic ends?

October 11 2009 at 6:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Watching "Cougar Town", "Community", "FlashForward", "Bored to Death", and possibly "Modern Family" (watched the first ep, haven't yet decided on watching more).

October 11 2009 at 5:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ceti

Stargate Universe!

October 11 2009 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Modern Family, FlashForward, and The Good Wife are the 3 new ones that stand out for us.

October 11 2009 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

My 2 favorites this season are Modern Family and The Good Wife.

October 11 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply