July 24, 2014

Army Wives: Fields of Fire (season finale)

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 12th 2009 4:03AM
Army_wives_group(S03E18) Army Wives is the highest rated series in the history of Lifetime, and this season has done little to infringe on the show's popularity. For me, though, this past season has been a bit of a drag... until tonight's dramatic finale. In the tradition of the show, cliffhanger endings are its specialty and more than a few lives were torn asunder by the time the credits rolled on tonight's show.

There's a lot up in the air going into next season (which has already been ordered by Lifetime, so don't worry about these storylines not being resolved). Before looking at the couples, one by one, overall I think Army Wives could use some shaking up. There's a bit of complacency setting in, but more on that and the couples after the jump.

Roxy and Trevor are a rarity in soapy shows like this -- a happy couple. They've worked through a lot of issues, but at least with Trevor working as a recruiter, he won't be going to Iraq or Afghanistan any time soon. The big question with the LeBlancs is economic. A new baby on the way, the Hump Bar has become restricted to soldiers, Finn's private school costs are formidible ... On the horizon, I see very relatable hardships for this family. But like the song, love will keep them together.

Pamela and Chase have broken up. After Chase disappointed Pamela one time too many -- postponing a family trip to Myrtle Beach for a prestige training exercise in Colorado -- she left him and took the kids with her. Is Chase's commitment to his Army career more important that his commitment to family? Sure looks that way. His yelling for Pamela when she was long gone was haunting.

I don't think there's going to be a happy ending for Roland and Joan. I could be wrong, but Joan looked like she was caught in a battle -- that field of fire in the title -- that's deadly. Even if she survives, will she be unharmed? Roland may be a single dad when next season comes around, and not just for the length of Joan's deployment. Her decision to leave Sarah and Roland to command her troops might exact the ultimate sacrifice.

Michael's promotion to Major General doesn't assure that the Holdens are settled. The possible closure of Fort Marshall is huge, and the return of Lenore Baker will impact on Claudia Joy's life on the post. Lenore is a troublemaker and Claudia Joy has jousted with her before. Lenore's not back at Fort Marshall for garden parties and teas. By the way, the weakest element in the Holden's story this season was Claudia Joy's diabetes. They made her condition melodramatic. On the other hand, taking in the little girl from Iraq while she recovered from surgery was beautifully told, and a perfect way to get Emmalin to work through her anger issues since Amanda's death.

Finally, there's Jeremy Sherwood and his parents. It was great to see Frank and Denise reunite after the quickie divorce. You were rooting for them to find each other again. However, it has been heart wrenching to watch Jeremy's return from Iraq. The guilt he felt for his best friend's death was palpable. He didn't even have Lucky to comfort him because he's TJ and Finn's dog now.

All the signs were there that Jeremy was in trouble, especially the bar fight. I hope he didn't use that revolver on himself, but the indications are that Denise and Frank have lost their only son.

So, if I'm grading Army Wives, the season was a "B." They could do better. They have in the past.

judy peterson

When is the new season starting? I thought after the new year but don't see a listing....

January 02 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

I thought this was a great episode. I do agree that this season was a little slow. It seemed that I turned in more hoping something was going to happen, but I just got more resolution from last season, which is ok, and I think this season finale makes up for alot.

I think Chase at the end was heart wrenching. Could you really blame Pamela, but at the same time, he really got to me.

Love Roxy and Trevor...he is just such a good guy, and I like the two of them together.

I am liking Joan more and more, and that scene with her being caught in that ambush, I can't wait to see what is going to happen.

The Holdens...eh...with the exception of them helping the little girl, I was more interested in the other couples this season.

October 13 2009 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CMR

I've not been part military life; much of it is a mystery to me. I think this series promotes understanding for all family members involved, and I love the storyline(s).
Now I'm upset: Comcast zapped my DVR box last night, all recorded programs were wiped out! The final episodes of Army and Drop Dead Diva are available for viewing on the internet; does anyone know where I can find a rerun date-if there is one? I'm coming up cold. Thank you, CMR

October 12 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CMR's comment
Gugga

Loved this show but missed last episode. Will it be rerun or where can I watch it? I was an "Army Wife" for 26 years. Wives and families of serving soldiers do need support while their men are away.
In the British Army you would never see the wives of officers be friends with lower ranks. I thoroughly enjoyed the life and miss the friendships and travel even now after 21 years.

October 19 2009 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I think Joan will probably be seriously injured physically. How Roland will be able to handle taking care of her and the baby and his practice all at once will really test whether he accepts his position as an Army Wife. Claudia Joy told him that accepting help from the other wives was something that the rest of them figured out a long time ago. You cannot do it on your own and by asking for help it made him an army wife. he seems very uncomfortable with it all season.

When I was watching the ending I was screaming at the TV for Denise to run. You are a paramedic! Run! (Don't laugh you yell at the tv too) but part of me understood why she took a couple of steps back. Frank finally seems to be coming around realizing that people at home grow and change while he was at war and he has to accept that and realize that the changes are not the end of the world. He also started to show his emotions a bit more. Which was seriously lacking. It was finally coming together for her, the family she always wanted and then to lose her son (although I never liked him very much for hitting her to begin with).

Chase has always been an ass. From the first season when Pamela had the twins for money to help support the family. To now when his family is a job. I do agree with her on that point. He takes total advantage of her love for him. He treats her more and more like the little woman at home keeping house. Not the tough ex-cop she is. Did he honestly think that you can keep breaking promises to the kids and nothing would happen? Granted the kids know daddy is in the army but from a kids point of view who cares. When he is home he is supposed to be home. With his family the fact that he volunteers for stuff to get away from them is damaging to them. I don't think she would have left if it had been just her. But to let him keep hurting the kids this way is unacceptable.

October 12 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

God me help, but I'm guy who's hooked on Army Wives!

I have to agree with most of what you said, especially the diabetes storyline. It was written in a way that made the diagnosis sound like a death sentance. As someone with family who live quality lives managing their diabetes I found it very annoying.

October 12 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I thought this was a pretty good episode, though I felt that Jeremy's cliffhanger was a little predictable considering the promos Lifetime was airing. As for Joan, I think injured, not dead, but I did like how they turned that into a dramatic moment.

But can someone fill something in for me? I've missed a few episodes: How did Jeremy's friend die?

October 12 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Courtney's comment
Brenda Sprouse

He was killed by sniper fire (50 caliber) while riding in the open Humvee. Jeremy and he had just switched places moments before.

October 12 2009 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply