July 25, 2014

Concerns about last week's House

by Nick Zaino, posted Oct 12th 2009 10:03AM
Foreman and Chase from HouseI always look forward to watching House on Mondays. Since about season two, when I think the show really started to develop its secondary characters, I have been hooked on the writing and amazed at the kind of outlandish plots I would tolerate that I would never be able to pass by on, say, other medical dramas. But I'm looking forward to tonight's episode with a bit of trepidation. And that's because they may have finally found an outlandish plot I can't quite get past.

For those who still have last week's episode on DVR and are likely to write us letters because we spoiled it for you - SPOILER ALERT. Then again, why are you reading something about tonight's episode if you haven't watched last week's episode yet?

There. Consider that fair space between the alert and the actual spoiler info. From here on out, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I enjoyed most of last week's episode. I thought James Earl Jones was tremendous as the genocidal dictator President Dibala, and for the most part, the writing brought up some great questions, both from the standpoint of plot and philosophy. But then it all soured for me. Dibala met his end, and Chase, who had sparred with Dibala in a couple of scenes, was implicated in his death. His actions, we were told, were ultimately responsible for Dibala's death. To top it off, Foreman helped to cover it up.

All of this would have been fine for a stand-alone teleplay. But now we move on with the season knowing that Chase helped to kill a world leader and Foreman helped hide it. That seems a bit too major to leave behind, and it's tough to see that being brought up and resolved in future episodes without, well, making an international incident of it.

There is a lot going on now with the power struggle between House and Foreman, and how the rest of the team plays into that. I'm looking forward to seeing how that gets resolved. But if the Dibala storyline continues, the logical conclusion seems to be that Chase and Foreman would both get bounced from the hospital, if not from practicing medicine itself. And that large-scale drama simply isn't as interesting as the interpersonal conflicts developing now as House straddles the line between outsider and team leader. The Dibala storyline can only really serve as a flashy distraction.

If the writers can find a way out of this one without that flashy distraction (and I think just ignoring the result of last week's episode would be kind of a cheap way out), I will be amazed. But then, I've seen some pretty amazing writing on House, so I'm hopeful.

Ian

I beleve that early in this weeks show Foreman steps out of the shower and finds it had all been a dream.

October 12 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miles

If you don't want to read spoilers DON'T READ THE BLOG. I personally like spoilers. Please keep them up.

October 12 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

Is it too much to ask for this website to be about discussing things that have ACTUALLY HAPPENED on shows, and not speculating on how much it might suck if they do this or don't do that in the future? Don't be such a worrymonger.

October 12 2009 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Andy's comment
John

It sounds like you didn't see the previews for next week's episode - it's clearly continuing in the next episode. Won't be not mentioned again.

October 12 2009 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

The only way to resolve that issue , is for the autopsy the dictator's country will perform to produce results confirming there was no way to prevent the death. Once that has happened, the truth will show up on something that Cutty sees and both doctors will have to be reprimanded or placed on some sort of leave (giving writers a chance to work them back into the story line or an "out" if contract negotiations sour).
It's going to really bring the story line down no matter what the outcome and I'm not sure what the writers were thinking other than to promote the leaning in America right now toward euthanasia and the "survivor" style elimination of those less acceptable to our present society. But, was it planned as an endorsement of those attitudes, or was it a poke at what society is becoming? who knows. I guess we will have to watch the rest of the season to find out.

October 12 2009 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I'm guessing that Cameron finds out and leaves Chase as a result...

Or it's Chase that's abusing Vicodin and he hallucinated the whole episode :)

October 12 2009 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe's comment
tingrin87

better yet...
everything to date has been hallucinated by Chase.

I don't know why people nitpick at stuff like this in TV... i just assume that the overall TV universe is one similar but distinct from our universe

October 12 2009 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply