August 20, 2014

Dexter: Blinded By the Light

by Danny Gallagher, posted Oct 12th 2009 3:50AM
Keith Carradine and Michael C. Hall on Dexter
(S0403) - "This neighborhood's going to kill me." - Dexter

Dexter's move to the suburbs seemed like a perfect way to keep Dexter's mask, but it's starting to become the perfect way to ruin an otherwise decent episode.

Rita and the kids have always been part of his plan to keep his true feelings hidden from the universe, even if he has more than a few shimmers of love for his new family. Moving to the suburbs was just part of the plan and a good move for the script, especially if one of his future prey includes a homeowners' association president who chastises tenants for keeping their lawns higher than three-fourths of an inch.

But now that he's in the thick of deranged suburbia and trying to keep his sane face in front of a whole neighborhood who always have their eyes peering into every open window, it just feels like a distraction from the truly interesting relationship that Dexter may or may not have with the Trinity Killer.

It's hard not to feel sorry for the guy, and maybe that's part of the reason the plot device exists. Every guy knows that friend in their pack who sold their soul to their homeowners' association, and Dexter is giving up more than a piece of himself for Rita and the kids. If I knew one of my friends was stuck in their minivan on a three hour trip with nothing but a batch of kids and a Bananarama mix-tape in the stereo, I'd call the cops and file an unlawful torture report.

But there is so much more to get excited about and feel for, like the Trinity Killer's newest kill. It's hard to think of a more painful or downright scary way to go, and making that poor woman jump to her death had the hairs on the back of my neck suicidal and wishing to jump for their freedom. The way his scenes leave little breadcrumbs for the audience to nibble up until his true secrets are revealed are well-paced and leave you wanting whatever breadcrumbs are used to make (I would assume bread, but why make individual crumbs just to make bread?).

Bringing Lundy back into the mix also makes for tasty viewing since he still feels like he's on Dexter's trail and possibly Debra's. The meeting between Lundy and Debra's current squeeze gave off more awkward tensions than a North Korean peace summit and is destined to lead to some giant confrontation between the two. What the hell was Debra thinking letting these two share the same table, let alone the same state? Does she not realize how hot she is?

And speaking of boning boneheads, just what is Quinn thinking shacking up with a reporter? This is bound to lead to pure disaster, and the final scene of he and the ink goddess getting down had my brain screaming at the screen.

Once again, the weird and twisted Masuka proves himself to be the wisest one of the bunch.

[Watch clips of Dexter at SlashControl.]

Brent Schmidt

Anyone else notice the cameraman in Lundy's glasses at the dock? Or the California flag flying in the background?

October 16 2009 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Trinity did say "Mommy" when he was looking over the body. The closing scene had pics on the table one of which was obscured by the urn. Is he replicating a family tragedy? Two suicides or murders (mother, sister) father being the one he toasted and the man Lundy mentioned would be next. Makes for a short cycle though.

October 15 2009 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

Collin, I agree with your statements about Rita. I'm assuming she's become super annoying for a better reason than just having a baby. Dexter will have to bail. I personally would find it a bit weird that my husband kept his own apartment but whatever. She likes him anyway.

The ashes that Trinity dipped his finger into--would those be of his mother or his first kill? Is he a Norman Bates kind of guy? He was obviously toasting a dead person when he poured the whisky for the dead and drank some water himself. What will it take for one of the cops or Dexter to find the ashes he left with Tarla's dead body?

October 14 2009 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Have to agree that the family subplot seems to dilute what made Dexter so good for the last three seasons. Also, Rita seems to be more and more irritating and frankly, bitchy. Perhaps the writers are creating this tension at home for Dexter for a reason?

Yet, this show is still one of the best on TV. It's so easy to find small faults in an otherwise well-written show. Still my favorite.

Oh, not to nitpick but I'm embarrassed to admit that they were singing Karma Chameleon by the Culture Club. Or should I say massacring it?

October 12 2009 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

Maybe someone can clarify something for me. When Lundy was talking to Dexter he said that the killer had done at least 15 "cycles", which I took to mean he's done his trinity of killings 15 previous times. However, when he was talking to Deb, he said that he has tracked the killer through 8 different cities and the killer had never returned to one of them until now. That means that the 15 cycles did not mean what I thought it meant.

I realize that he might have meant for 15 years, but then why use the word "cycle".

Anybody have any ideas?

October 12 2009 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to William's comment
JT

I took what Lundy said about the 15 Cycles the same way that you did, that it occurred in 15 different locations.

I dont think he was trying to rattle off all 15 like it was a pop quiz. They just wanted to to get the point across that these "cycles" were happening all over the country in no particular order and there was no repeats or patterns until now.

Also we are to assume that Miami is probably where these "cycles" started 30 years ago not 15.

October 12 2009 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

If you look at Lundy's map, there are a lot more than eight pins in it--I'm guessing fifteen.

Of course, the seven other cities might have occurred before Lundy found the pattern, and he's only been following Trinity in real time for eight years.

October 12 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

You know. When Dexter is on, it's one of the best shows on tv. But when the subplots of others kick in, it falls mysteriously flat, while anything that centers around Dexter is entertaining, storylines like Angel & Maria, The Vacation Killers, and even Quinn & The Reporter just fall flat. Only Masuka emerges as interesting in the background.

October 12 2009 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply