September 18, 2014

Drop Dead Diva: Grayson's Anatomy (season finale)

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 12th 2009 3:12AM
Drop_dead_diva_Brooke(S01E13) Drop Dead Diva has lived up to the pilot/premiere, and in some ways, exceeded it. The Deb/Jane dichotomy has morphed into someone different than either pure Deb or pure Jane. Brooke Elliott is wonderful as "New Jane" with just a hint of Deb. As season one comes to a close, even if the writers hadn't left us with a cliffhanger ending, I'd be more than anxious to tune in next year.

There were two interesting cases on the docket for the finale, with Stacy offering lots of comic relief as second stool -- chair -- to Grayson in a lawsuit brought by a lingerie model who'd been fired because she went public with her surviving breast cancer. Jane's case was more complex, but not until after it had been won. More on both cases, and Jane's dilemma on the dating front, after the jump.

As Deb has grown more comfortable in Jane's body, her love for Grayson has never wavered ... until now. The attention she's receiving from Tony, including an invite for a weekend in Napa, has Jane's head spinning.

Regarding Napa, it was great the way the writers turned the phrase "weekend in Napa" into code for having sex. Had Jane ever had a "weekend in Napa"? Everyone has had a "weekend in Napa" at some time or another, right? Was Jane ready for a "weekend in Napa" with Tony?

Of course, just when Jane was ready to take the leap and give Tony a tumble, Stacy learned from Grayson that Jane's in his head. He's been losing sleep because Jane is in his dreams. Why is Grayson dreaming about Jane? The romantic in me says it's because he connects with Jane on the same level he connected with Deb. He's seeing past the exterior. But can he do that when he's wide-awake?

Grayson's case was the comic relief, especially with Stacy's over the top assist. But Jane's litigation for a baseball player whose arm was ruined in a botched surgery turned into something much darker than it seemed. Parker put Jane in first chair -- much to Kim's displeasure -- and when, after a $15 million victory, something felt off to Jane, she discovered the firm had been used to defraud the insurance company.

Jane believed the firm had to disclose the crime. Parker disagreed and pointed out that Jane risked disbarment if she broke client/lawyer confidentiality by revealing the truth. Jane found a way around that, but this was a tricky one for me because while I believed in Jane's integrity, would Deb be that ethical? This is where the line between Deb and Jane is blurring. And that's a good thing for a drama like this.

Finally, the jaw-dropper ending was Ethan appearing at Jane's door. Is he really Jane's husband or is he an ex-husband or was he her spouse in a marriage of convenience? What's the deal? And why did Jane not know about it. You mean she didn't Google herself after the transformation or check out Jane's Facebook or Myspace page? Wouldn't Teri have made sure that Jane was social networking?

But that's why it's a cliffhanger. We won't know till next season. Same with Jane's legal career. All in all, a great freshman season for DDD.

leonard cianciotto

I love full figured women, and Brooke Elliot is beyond belief beautiful. The show is a great one, especially for a war movie loving male who is in touch with his femine side. I hope it comes back in the spring, so we don't have to wait for the summer. The cliff hangers have got me waiting.

October 19 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JES

I wonder how the legal discussion on Jane's disclosure will go - could this fall under the crime exception to attorney-client privilege? It is an ongoing crime until the people actually get the money from the hospital/insurance co! (At least that's my argument!)

October 14 2009 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Actually, Jane didn't find a way around the disbarment. She made the tape for proof to send to the District Attorney's office, but as she tells Stacy afterward, she'll still be investigated by the California State Bar who could revoke her license, and Parker definitely has cause to fire her. How they write around that will be part of the fun of the second season premiere.

October 14 2009 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Do we know for sure if Lifetime has okayed a second season?
If so, Jane needs to get it on soon with someone. I wish it was me.

October 13 2009 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erin

I love this show. It's so different from a lot of entertainment these days. I have been rooting for Jane and Grayson all along...but then they introduce Tony. He's adorable and I really like him. I didn't know which I wanted her to choose...and then they leave us hanging with a "husband" that shows up at her door! What will happen next season? I don't want to wait. Does anyone know approximately when it will come back on? I also love all the music they've played so far.

October 12 2009 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darci

That scene where Grayson accidentally revealed to Stacy that he's losing sleep over Jane was awesome...really sets up next year great, and further develops the whole Jane/Deb dichotomy that you mention. I also thought it was cool that they used the song "Piece of Mind" by Castaneda in the background of the scene - they've really had a bunch of great music choices all season long, and it's great to hear that. (fyi, you can watch the scene at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSuv5PcbEp8 )

I only just discovered this show a few weeks ago, but now I've seen the whole season and now I can't wait until it starts back again.

October 12 2009 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to darci's comment
John Furnari

My wife and I are disappointed that we were unable to catch the last episode and repeats later that evening. Does anyone know if or when Lifetime will repeat the Season One Finale??? Thanks.

October 13 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaydee

I like this show a lot too, I am hooked and like you can't wait till next season. If you missed a lot of shows you can watch some of them on Lifetime.com , but there are commercials and I think for some reason they only have episodes 10 through 13 up. Don't know why. But you can check out this site for recaps http://www.my-fav-tv-show.blogspot.com it tells what has pretty much happened from the pilot to the close.

October 19 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply