October 20, 2014

Now Anthony Bourdain is going after Guy Fieri

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 12th 2009 2:35PM
Guy FieriIt has gotten to the point where I really don't care what the hell Anthony Bourdain cares about anything. I liked Kitchen Confidential (the book, not the TV show) and some of his other writing, but this need to speak out on anything and everything in the food world he finds lame or disgusting or "evil" has gotten old. Now he (and chef David Chang) is speaking out on other things he can't stand, and one of them is Food Network host Guy Fieri.

Personally, I wouldn't bleach my hair and wear those shorts, but come on, is it really worth bad mouthing his hosting and cooking? I love Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and Ultimate Recipe Showdown!

Update: it's actually Chang who made the remarks, but Bourdain doesn't like Fieri either.

Jim Campbell

I just honestly wish that Anthony Boredain would just keep his drunk fowl mouth shut for once.Guy is a great chef and is connecting with the younger generation of cooks,myself included.He started off by going after Paula Deen and it basically backfired on him and now he's got the balls to go after one of the more successful contests from Next Food Network Star since he (Mr. Bourdain) could never win little own compete on Next Food Network Star.

November 17 2012 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob

I have found most of these guys to be pompus egomaniacs. Really is food the new Rock Star? GF is from N.Ca (Ferndale),but never says or does anything to help his hometown besides donate a pretzel cart to one of the young people of the area because that's how he started.That is great,but an area with a terrible unemployment ,Meth and self image problem needs a little more than a food cart. The other guys are just annoying dopes who need to look to themselves before jumping on someone else....

November 17 2012 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
camb543

It’s not some great revelation that Anthony Bourdain is a better human being than Guy Fieri in every way. Bourdain spent three decades working in kitchens before writing an excellent bestselling book that paved the way for his TV show, a travelogue in which he exudes wit and a passion for other cultures. Fieri, on the other hand, achieved fame by winning a Food Network reality show on the strength of his hair product and shirts with flames on them

May 14 2012 at 3:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coryguy

Just one other thing nico, trying to compare these two is like trying to compare the proverbial apple and oranges. Guy is trying to make us all aware that you can get get decent food in places like Diners, drive ins, etc etc. Whereas Bourdain tends to show places on an international venue. To me the only thing Bourdain is doing different is that his show includes a geography lesson. Just because someone may choose Bourdains show doesn't mean that they posess more intelligence. It just means they prefer Asian food over somewhat better fast food from Fieri

October 16 2009 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to coryguy's comment
nico toscani

I like Guy Fieri as host of Triple D (I watch and enjoy both shows). Had you taken the time to read my other posts you would have known that. I'm still curious why somebody who doesn't care for, and therefore I'm assuming doesn't watch either show felt the need to chime in. I think I'll go post on the Grey's Anatomy fan site. I've seen one episode and hated it, so I feel everybody will want to hear my opinion.

October 16 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coryguy

No need to be sorry, Nico, it's enough that you're wrong

October 16 2009 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coryguy

Hey Nico, grow up!!! It doesn't seem that you know a damn thing about cooking. You're too busy telling everyone that you are more intelligent if you watch Bourdain. His shows are one dimensional. Asian food that you eat with your fingers. Jeez, I'm feeling smarter already. Is Nico your real name, or are you a Steven Segal expert in addition to being a food critic?

October 15 2009 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to coryguy's comment
nico toscani

I am Steven Segal, you got me... Now shut up before I snap your neck, LOL... I come from a family of chefs, so I know a little about cooking. I would much rather eat REAL Asian food with my fingers than eat some sh*tty barbecue pork, sushi, TGI Friday nightmare. Sorry, but Anthony Bourdain's show IS for smart, cultured people.

October 16 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coryguy

It seems to me that all the posts are for either for Bourdain or Fiery. Truth be told, I don't care for either one. Guy Fiery looks like an unmade bed with bleached hair. While the chain smoking Bourdain doesn't ever seem to do a show out of the continent of Asia. And most of the things he eats on that show, would hardly ever make it to an american kitchen. And there is just something about watching Guy Fiery trying to jam an entire sausage hoagie in his mouth and try to talk at the same time. Not very appetizing!

October 14 2009 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to coryguy's comment
nico toscani

Thanks for your comments on something you have NO interest in... very useful.

October 15 2009 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nico toscani

Now that this is off the main AOL page and the topic will die I have one last thing to say. I've been avoiding this conclusion, but it is undeniable. Tony Bourdain appeals more to smart people, while Guy Fieri appeals more to everybody else. In this country of fat, fried cheese curd and Twinkie eating rubes it's no wonder most of you haven't heard of Bourdain. Why explore new and interesting cultures and their foods when you can see a whole new way to serve meatloaf (for the 76th time)? There, I said it...

October 13 2009 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam, and who the F*** is Bourdain. he's not the drunk guy on The Travel Channel traveling and eating sh*t, is he??

October 13 2009 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nico toscani

Have any of you people ever actually eaten in one of Guy Fieri's restaurants? The food is garbage of the TGI Friday's/Applebees variety. He is a good host for Triple D, a great businessman and seems like a swell person but he CAN'T cook to save his life. Barbecue pork in a sushi roll? *BARF!*

October 13 2009 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply