October 31, 2014

The Amazing Race: Sean Penn Cambodia Here We Come

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Oct 12th 2009 12:40AM
Monkey business at the TAR roadblock
(S15E04) You'll have to bear with me tonight. You see, I'm cranky. Yes, I'm cranky about tonight's episode of The Amazing Race. Perhaps I'd be a bit less cranky had the show started anywhere near on time. No, it's a Sunday show and here in the NYC viewing area, any sport played during the day can run over and delay the entire Sunday evening primetime line-up. On a night like tonight, delayed 45 minutes, it wreaks havoc with other shows I'd like to watch and my review writing time. But that's not the only reason I'm cranky.

Argh! With reality shows, the promo teasers usually make it seem like something dire will happen. However, when you watch the show, things were twisted or blown out of proportion just to throw viewers off. So, when the promos indicated that my favorite team of racers -- Zev and Justin -- might be eliminated for losing their passports, I was sure they were just toying with us.

But they weren't. After coming in first place, they were eliminated for just that reason. Usually I roll with the punches as my favorite teams fall by the wayside. But I so wanted to keep watching these two. They were a delight to watch on the show, even getting praise from harried airline clerks. Zev's line about telling the taxi driver's mother (or not) was a hoot, and the cabbie enjoyed it, too. Their relationship was refreshing and pleasant when so many bicker. Unlike Luke's representation of deaf folks last season (mainly due to immaturity), Zev ruled as a representative for a person with Asperger's Syndrome.

Perhaps it's an age thing, but call me shocked that Gary was the only one who recognized Jackie Kennedy Onassis in the photo on the leg. Plus, he was the only one with a clue how to pronounce Phnom Penh. I feel either really old or maybe a bit too worldly ... or something.

My disappointments aside, I enjoyed seeing them travel through Cambodia. I'm surprised how many Cambodians spoke and understood English. Of course, that's a good thing for the teams. The tasks weren't overly easy, and now I know monkeys are royalty much like Jackie Kennedy in Cambodia. Canaan was the best monkey on the teams at the roadblock. He should definitely get an honorary monkey business degree.

Now that my favorite team is gone, there are still some teams I really enjoy. Flight Time and Big Easy are fun to watch. The two young couples -- Cheyne/Megan and Canaan/Mika -- both get along well with each other. With couples, that's all I ask. Sam and Dan are a good team, but I keep getting the feeling that they're a bit underhanded or sneaky. That could work for them as a team, but not so much for me as a fan. Is this just me or is anyone else getting that feeling about them?

I still want Lance the Lout out. Nothing he did tonight redeemed himself with me. As a matter of fact, he just dug the hole deeper. I'm also getting turned off by the poker girls, Tiffany and Maria. I wanted them to be a strong female team, and they're falling short of the grade.

[Watch episodes and clips of The Amazing Race over at SlashControl.]

Which team is your favorite?
Sam and Dan45 (13.9%)
Keri and Lance2 (0.6%)
Flight Time and Big Easy190 (58.6%)
Cheyne and Megan27 (8.3%)
Tiffany and Maria19 (5.9%)
Mika and Canaan13 (4.0%)
Gary and Matt19 (5.9%)
Brian and Ericka9 (2.8%)

Joyce N.

Elimination Station on the CBS site said it was Justin who lost the passport and it was found (too late). One little mistake and they're done. Hope they get another shot sometime to try again.

October 12 2009 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

It IS sad that Zev and Justin are gone, but what are you gonna do? They lost their passport. I did find it weird that the commercials THIS TIME were too spot-on. When you're used to misleading commercials, it's a bit of a surprise to get one that tells you what's the what.

The GOOD thing though is that I actually like ALL of the teams with the key exception of Lance/Keri so even with the elimination of Zev/Justin, I will still have someone to root for. Right now I'm rooting for Sam/David. Yes, they are underhanded but definitely not in the level of some of the most obnoxious teams that Amazing Race has had. Well not yet at least.

October 12 2009 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

I bet he did tell them they won a prize, but they cut that part out once they found out their passports were gone. I'm surprised they didn't give the prize to the second place team. Production-wise, it would have been better to announce the prize but take it away when they were eliminated. That way, it would not be a dead give away that they would be eliminated.

I think Tiffany Michelle is ok, but the other poker player, I cannot stand. Please eliminate the couple from MA.

October 12 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kesey

@Kristy - I agree that it's frustrating, but the solution isn't to cutoff live shows if they go past their scheduled time. CBS pays a fortune to broadcast NFL Football and makes a ton in advertising dollars. For as many fans as there are for 60 Minutes and the Amazing Race, football is the biggest slice of the pie. It would not be in their best interest to cut it off. Instead I've always thought that they should move the Amazing Race to a weeknight to avoid this problem.

October 12 2009 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristy

I too have serious issues with the Poker Girls... and that Lance guy. He's just strikes me as a loud-mouthed bully. He shows scant respect for anyone. And clearly neither he nor his partner (what's her name?) have got the hang of reading clues properly. I'd hate to think they're actually like this in real life. Ugh!
I must admit too I was shocked that only 2 people knew what Jackie Kennedy looked like. I'm not in my 30s yet, and I recognised her. Not to mention the fact that Im not even American!
And someone, please explain to me why sports HAS to cut into the time slots of other shows. Cut the transmission when time's up! Not only do I have to deal with watching shows an hour later (cause my country doesn't use daylight savings), but now I have to add more time 'cause some game I already don't like cuts into my schedule? PFFT!

October 12 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nisesmith

I'm so annoyed my favorite team went home. I like the father/son team but I have to agree that they don't get a lot of air time. The reason the globetrotter team is a favorite is for the same reasons stated above. They seem like they can have a good time while under a lot of pressure. I liked how when they found the girl with the scarf one of them said, "She was trying to run from me. That's cold hearted." My bottom two are Keri and Lance and the poker girls. I'll still watch but I won't care too much if I miss an episode or two.

October 12 2009 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Something odd about the fact that Zev and Justin weren't given a first place finish prize. And that, before Phil asked if there was a problem and then told about the passports. Hope they at least got a future vacation or something other than another kayak.

October 12 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
winterbear

I like the globe trotters... but it seems unfair for a pair of professional athletes to be competing with teams of regular folks.

October 12 2009 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabygirl

Since you guys love the Amazing Race as much as we do, thought you would be interested in our weekly Amazing Race LIVE chat! You can chat with the unfortunate pair to be eliminated every Monday at 2pm ET/11am PT for a half hour liveblog. See you there! http://bit.ly/14RYfB

-Gaby (for Fancast)

October 12 2009 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

I'm really bummed that Zev and Justin are out of the race! I loved what Zev said at the end, about realizing he does not always have to abide by a schedule or routine, that it's okay to go out of his comfort zone now and then (paraphrasing!).

I like Flight Time and Big Easy a lot because they seem to just have a great time, they're enjoying their journey, they don't really get into petty disagreements. Who cares if they use their nicknames?(response to a previous comment). I don't see what their names have to do with the way they portray themselves at all! They've revealed their true names on the show, it's not like they are hiding anything. To me, they seem like fun, easy-going guys who realize just how fortunate they are to have this experience. Much better than "ugly Americans" who expect the rest of the world to cater to their needs and whims!

I don't mind any of the romantic couples, outside of Lance and Keri, who are simply obnoxious. I do like Gary and Matt overall, but I don't think they get enough air time.

October 12 2009 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply