September 1, 2014

Can Summer Glau save Dollhouse?

by Mike Moody, posted Oct 13th 2009 2:06PM
dollhouse summer glauShe saved John Connor, but can she boost the ratings for another struggling Fox sci-fi show?

Former Terminator fembot Summer Glau joins Joss Wheodn's Dollhouse on Oct. 30 for a recurring stint as Bennett, a programmer who shares a past with Eliza Dushku's Echo. During last week's episode of Dollhouse, the network hyped Glau's upcoming appearance with a special promo promising, "In three weeks, Sumer Glau joins the cast of Dollhouse!" I could be wrong, but it seemed like Fox was banking on Glau's star power to get more people to watch the show. Sadly, I don't think that's gonna happen.

I love Summer Glau. I was a big fan of TSCC and Firefly, and I'm eagerly anticipating her appearance on Dollhouse. I'm sure Whedon has crafted an interesting character for Glau, and I'm sure she'll be part of a compelling arc that will fold nicely into the Dollhouse mythology. But I doubt she'll be able to attract a ton of new viewers.

Glau couldn't save her own show, and Dollhouse isn't exactly designed to be a hit. The show works best when it's diving head-first into its complicated mythology ("Epitaph One") and when it's exploring the troubling implications of the Dollhouse itself – in this world, the rich and powerful can have dominion over people's bodies and minds while grabbing at their soul. It's definitely not easily digestible TV comfort food like NCIS or Dancing with the Stars, two of the highest-rated shows on the air.

Fox recently promised to honor the 13-ep commitment it made to Dollhouse. Still, the show probably won't be able to attract enough new viewers to keep it on the air for long, Summer or no Summer. It's a shame. Last week's ep was great, and it feels like the show is really starting to return to form. Let's hope the network learns how to count those DVR numbers.

Mary

I can't believe DOLLHOUSE is being cancelled. Eliza Dushku is such a major talent....and beautiful, too.
She really was wonderful as Faith, the Rogue Vampire Slayer on Buffy and Angel. And really great in the movie, Wrong Turn. That'll make you think twice
about taking an unknown road!
Sorry to see DOLLHOUSE go. They also had a cool cast.

November 29 2009 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alee Baigi

Glau cant act. end of. They should hire someone with more looks and talent to save dollhouse.
Thank God fox will be canceling the show

October 31 2009 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
niite

Haven't been a dollhouse fan, but I can guarantee I'll be watching starting Oct 30. Summer rocks!

October 16 2009 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Why, why, WHY couldn't we have had these patient, forgiving "suits" at Fox when FIREFLY was airing? That show was so much more engaging than Dollhouse - and this retroactive supportive-ness they're trying to give Whedon is too darn late! Can't get Firefly back; and don't care much what happens to Dollhouse - It's like the fire department charging in with sirens blaring - a week AFTER the house burns down. And now Dollhouse's general crappiness is gonna drain away all the good will and leeway the PTB were FINALLY willing to give Joss, the one and only time in his career it's not neccesary or deserved.

October 14 2009 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Karen's comment
Doubting Thomas

Because Firefly was boring, unoriginal rubbish with a poor cast spouting cheesey dialouge maybe?

Dollhouse isn't great, but it has a better cast and more original if not wonderfully executed premise.

October 14 2009 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rehabber

I am just happy Fox is going to let us have all 13 eps. Still have not forgiven them over Firefly, but different people in charge now and want to say a big THANK YOU FOX.

October 14 2009 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

If those idiots at Fox had any sense at all, they would give Summer Glau her own network.

October 14 2009 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rehabber

I will stick with Dollhouse because of Joss, but still think the show would have been better with Amy Acker as the star. Eliza is just to wooden in her acting? style. This year is much better than last year, the first 5 eps were just awful and I had to fight to stay with it. Glad I did.

October 14 2009 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Prhime

Glau and Whendon cant save it. Dollhouse will be destined to fail unless they bring something interesting other than terminator-surrogates offspring of a story line.

if they expedited the whole "i remember who i am" thing with Echo (great name now as it somewhat plays on her growing but faint memory of her past) sooner it may have worked.

I also agree with the above comment on Fringe. You don't cancel Abrams, he cancels you (at least until his star power decreases..if at all).

October 14 2009 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cray

I think Summer Glau has more appeal than Eliza Dushku, so I think its going help the ratings a bit. But it's still a show that just doesn't have the meat to survive on a major broadcast station. It's like the premise just glosses over the whole premise of the show for a few money shots of Dushku and quirky Wheddonism. I'm sorry but it's just not enough to keep me interested.

I can't help to wonder if this show would've been better served as HBO, SHOWTIME or even CINEMAX program.

October 13 2009 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frantic Monkey

Nothing can save Dollhouse. As much improvement as the show has shown so far this season, we all know that the execs at Fox are dumb as all hell. And disloyal to boot. Dollhouse isn't getting a back nine order or being picked up for a 3rd season. I'm confident they'd have canned Fringe at the end of last season if it'd been from anyone other than JJ Abrams.

October 13 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply