August 27, 2014

House: Instant Karma

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 13th 2009 12:50AM
House (Hugh Laurie, L) works with his original team (L-R: Jesse Spencer, Omar Epps and Jennifer Morrison) in the HOUSE episode 'Instant Karma.'
(S06E05) "I understand you're a fan. I'll have my guys send over a signed glossy." - House

We're getting deeper into the fall TV season, so it was only a matter of time before even the good shows started to falter a little. Not every episode is going to be an instant classic, and House is no exception. You know it's not a good sign when the only thing you find enjoyable is House comparing himself to Kobe Bryant, which, by the way, is dead on -- especially since he's no longer in charge. Foreman is the Phil Jackson to House's does whatever he wants and still wins #24.

Unfortunately, that might be the problem now. As much as I've loved this season thus far, House's pill-free winning ways have created such a rift in the show that things are starting to feel really disjointed. It's different from when Cameron and Chase moved on and Thirteen, Kutner, Taub, Amber and the rest of the fellowship wannabes showed up. That was smooth and logical. This time around, it's starting to feel messy.

It goes without saying, and I know I'm not alone in this gripe, that I didn't even care about the case of the week this time around, and it's mainly because President Dibala's death is clearly the only case that's going to matter for the time being. Lee Tergesen did a great job here as the troubled dad, but once he used his son's illness as proof that he's getting some sort of karmic smack for his billionaire status, it felt just too in your face, especially considering what Chase and Foreman are going through as they cover up Dibala's death while accounting for consequences. Having the patient so closely mirror the doctor's issues like that is bush league. I expect to find that on Grey's Anatomy, not House.

Dibala's death is obviously going to echo for at least a few more weeks, and I assume it'll culminate with Jennifer Morrison's exit from the show. How that will play out, we don't know, but I can't see Chase being able to keep it bottled up and I can't see Cameron accepting his choice. It will get out, though. House knows and now he's complicit in the cover up since he found those old medical records to help mask Chase's choice. Plus, Cuddy almost found out since Chase seemed ready to spill in her office. Even though he didn't come out with it, if House can figure it out, she can, too.

This would also explain why Thirteen is being kept in the story but very much on the periphery. Shit is gonna hit the fan and she'll end up being one of the first to come in and help shore up the ship. That being said, I can't imagine she'll agree with Foreman covering it up either.

A few more thoughts on "Instant Karma" --

• Any guesses on why Thirteen was heading to Thailand? I'm betting she's signed up for some wacky new treatment for her Huntington's disease.
  • Remember the conversation between House and Cuddy where he talked about puzzles and power? He used to have both, but with Foreman in charge, he's only got puzzles now. What's the point? Seems as though House has finally attributed not all, but some, of his pill addiction to the stress that came with being the boss.
  • Why would Wilson bother lying about canceling Thirteen's plane ticket? Wouldn't it just have been easier for him to make his case to Thirteen about staying instead? In some regards, it almost seems selfish. Thirteen keeps House in check and that in turn makes things easier for Wilson, right?

Not much else to talk about. For the most part, I feel like I only discussed last week's episode, but again - nothing else really matters right now. Maybe that's karma, though. House is too good so it has to suffer now and again?

[Watch full episodes and clips of House, as well as other shows, over at SlashControl.]

The1337

I don't understand why the writers continue to push any sort of 13 story. There is an overwhelming majority of comments on the internet that are against her. Nevertheless, with House changing, and Chase in deep water, the show continues to be excellent. Full review of the episode.

October 13 2009 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

So is Taub gone for good? I thought there was a side story for him to come back, or were the rumors about Thirteen, not Taub? I would have thought that more hoopla would be made if Taub was gone for good, like Kutner's death.

October 13 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngaltx

Anyone notice the House spent most of the episode either sitting or standing somewhere and the only time I can really recall him "walking" was when he went to tell the father his kid was a goner.

In the meantime, I hope they find some miracle cure (maybe House will visit the Acid Queen or Uncle Ernie) so he doesn't have to limp about the hospital anymore.

October 13 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to johngaltx's comment
wulfn1

I noticed, but I also remember reading not what.. a week ago? that Hugh Laurie has been having difficulties with his joints and such because of the affected limp . I think the writers are just giving him a break till they can find a successful conclusion to House's pain issue.

October 14 2009 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

Bruce aside (ARRRRGHHH), i thought this was actually a really great episode... lee tergesen was one of the best guest stars they've had, i thought, i really liked that character.
I agree with the comments that 13 is going for some sort of treatment for her disease, although it would have been a cooler ending if instead of the second 'cameron waking up alone' scene the bed was empty this time, and when 13 got on the plane cameron was in the seat next to her. they kiss, fade to black.
heh heh
chase should blame foreman for everything so foreman goes to jail and off the show.

October 13 2009 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guy

I love 'House' no matter what!!! :)

October 13 2009 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alexi

It's hard for me to care about the Dibala storyline when I know that it will be swept under the carpet in an episode or three and completely forgotten about, just like when Foreman interfered with the drug trial.

I am so not feeling this new Thirteen-is-uber-important-to-House angle. Wilson's "she's good for you" talk was laid on so thick, it could've been inspired by "Barney and Friends".

October 13 2009 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Thirteen was traveling business class to Thailand which might suggest she is going to work in a clinic there on some research project. Want to bet we have House ona 2-3 ep loop traveling to Thailand to help her???
Cutty knows about the the Chase issue, but the evidence trail is now complete so that there can be now way he can be formally punished. She just wants him to suffer on the end of a line for as long as possible. My guess is he gets kicked back into House's entourage and he and Foreman start fighting and tension builds...

October 13 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Wilson didn't mess with 13's email. House did. (how could you miss that scene with Wilson and House?) The coverup is still being perpetuated, but I get the feeling Cutty knows about it and was waiting for the confession, which was on the tip of Chase's tongue when the interruption took the focus away from what Chase was about to say. I think the character of Cutty doesn't want to face what she will have to do when the truth does finally "out".

Foreman really needs to leave the show, his character is inept and faltering and he doesn't have the gymnastic brain needed to keep House on his toes and patients from dying.
While it's apparent the show is in desperate need of new blood, it seems we are going to have to wait till the end of the season to find out just what the new blood is going to be. I am hopeful there will be a House protege out there somewhere , waiting in the wings ready to make House do the mental gymnastics he needs so badly to maintain his sanity.
I still don't understand why they haven't addressed doing nerve blocks with House for pain. It's common treatment and would resolve some of his addiction/pain issues but still have him doing something that points to masking his pain which was what the vicoden was always all about in the show. (of course the vicoden also helped to dull the conflict House feels about his lack of any companionship and his obvious self worth issues...)

Its sad that they plan to get rid of Cameron, her character is so well ingrained into the show that it will be a real loss. It kind of worked to have her in the clinic with House deviating there when he needed to bounce something off her , especially with his noted distaste for the clinic. I would rather see Foreman or Chase removed.Chase's character has lost it's seminary dropout feel, and it seems to have suffered for it. I wouldn't think anything out of the ordinary if they removed Chase completely by having the character decide to go back to the seminary, it would resolve the issue Cameron would have with his having lied to her and avoided her and her character's need for nobility in all situations.

You know though,.. it's only been two shows and already I am sick of the Dibala thing almost as much as I was sick of the cop story line a couple seasons back.
They should bring back the asylum now and again to spice things up, maybe have a graduate visit House at the hospital, or House need to talk to his psychiatrist and inadvertently interact with the inmates while there.

October 13 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred White

Someone please tell me what the song played at the end credits was and by who? I wish they would put info like this actually IN the credits!
As to the comments made here, I could believe in ANY Government agency control over what is shown on T.V.

October 13 2009 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

I don't know if it really is of any importance, but the airplane-door said "Malaysia" and not "Thailand". But since it is right next to it, it might be nothing ;)

October 13 2009 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Yme Sandelmann's comment
btarlinian

That's the name of the airline, not the destination. I can fly American Airlines to Singapore if I want. Besides, I don't think there's a Thailand Airlines.

October 13 2009 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pt

But the female flight attendant was wearing Thai traditional costume.

October 15 2009 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply