April 19, 2014

Laurence Fishburne to do three-part CSI crossover

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 13th 2009 10:08PM
laurence_fishburne_csiGenerally speaking, the CSI franchise has been a ratings juggernaut for CBS. Still, this season the original CSI has been declining a bit. It started last season when Laurence Fishburne took on the role of Dr. Ray Langston, becoming the main man on the show with William Petersen exiting.

Well, in an effort to perhaps pump up Fishburne's popularity, CBS is doing something unique. For the first time, a CSI character -- Langston -- will crossover to the other two shows in the same week, all part of the same story.

Will it work? Probably. Crossover stunts are always fun and it'll give viewers who watch one of the CSI's or two, to sample the other. That's not as weird as it sounds. I only watch CSI, not NY or Miami.

I just never gave the other two a shot, but for the crossover to work, I'll need to watch them (or DVR them to watch together with CSI as a three-hour marathon... hmm, that's a thought).

The story line will commence on CSI: Miami on November 9. Horatio Cane finds a severed leg in the Everglades (don't you hate when that happens on your job?). It turns out to belong to a missing girl from Las Vegas, so he summons Ray to Miami.

Then on CSI: NY, Wednesday, November 11, Ray flies to New York when Mac Taylor links the case to an interstate trucking ring involved in human trafficking and black market organs (get your kidneys, here, cheap kidneys...they're going fast!)

Finally, on Thursday, November 12, Langston is back in Vegas to wrap up the case on CSI with the help of the usual gang.

You'll notice that this is taking place during November sweeps. Yes, sweeps. You can count on the other networks to counter program with some of their best stuff, too.

Courtney

This is crap! Marg should get to do the crossover, she has been on the show the longest- plus she has already been to Miami during another crossover! I hate that LF is taking over!

October 26 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thepassenger

Well, my mother watches all of the CSI's, so I imagine her brain is going to short-circuit from all the excitement.

I watched the first season of Miami and got partway into the second before it finally occurred to me that it was much more of a throwback to old-school cop shows like Kojak, and that I didn't need to watch it anymore. I made it through about half of season one of NY, and now I only watch what I like to refer to as CSI: Original Recipe."

But I guess I'll have to watch all three of these for the whole story to make sense. Sigh...

October 14 2009 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I don't think it will work. I stopped watching when William Peterson left the show. I hate CSI Miami the only one I watch once in a while is CSI NY.

October 14 2009 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

I never had a blind hated of Sarah like Dan, but dammit she should have been the miniature killer.

That would have been epic, and she was leaving anyway.

October 14 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I sort of watch all three with NY being my favorite. I stopped watching the original when CBS had Gil Grissom pave the way for David Letterman. I started watching again when Sarah ran away (unfortunately she did not stay away). Hopefully she is not still in these eps so that I can watch all three without getting pissed off every time she appears on screen.

October 14 2009 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

A 3 parts CSI story is more an SUV than a crossover.They should have The Good Wife as the perp's lawyer,Three Rivers as the hospital where the body parts were going,60 Minutes do an indepth investigation,Criminal Minds and The Mentalist examine the perp's mental state,reasoning and then outsmart him,48 hours to do a report on how all the other shows worked together and Cold Case to take the story on in ten years.THAT'S a crossover.Of course Ray has to be in ALL of the shows.

October 14 2009 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cali

Oh goodie!! I love "crossovers".. I watch all three of the "CSI"'s...

October 14 2009 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin McGuirk

I wish stuff like this would happen to shows I actually watch.

October 13 2009 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Justin McGuirk's comment
Ben Watson

@Elf

Didn't Queer As Folk get cancelled a while ago?

October 14 2009 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply