December 20, 2014

Read the Dexter books, even if you watch Dexter

by Danny Gallagher, posted Oct 13th 2009 9:06PM
The cover of Jeff Lindsay's Dearly Devoted DexterOne of the joys in reviewing the new season of Showtime's Dexter has been in the preparation. I did just re-watched the previous season. I watched all the other seasons, read every interview I could find and even dove into a couple of reviews, both good and bad. I even got an advanced copy of the Dexter video game for the iPhone.

But while watching that iconic opening of Dexter's mourning routine, I noticed the credit to Jeff Lindsay, the author of the first Dexter novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter on which the whole show is based. I picked it up in the library and even though I knew most of what happened from the show's first season, it was still a very enjoyable read. It was dark, funny, foreboding and every other adjective you would expect to hear from a review of a great mystery novel.

The best part is that even if you watch the show, you can still enjoy the books since they take very different paths that still provide plenty of good twists and turns. Any Dexter fan would enjoy them.

Erik

The first two Dexter books are excellent, the second is actually my favorite. As others have stated, the third book was a letdown, but the fourth book is a return to the Dexter we know and love. So I recommend those turned off by the third book give the fourth a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

October 14 2009 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

The show is tremendous fun and very amusing. The books seem like a chucklehead with no imagination cobbled them together after dreaming up a great concept. Quite honestly, the creator of Dexter is good with a character concept but his skills as a writer... yikes. His version of Dexter is sloppy, lacking in wit, has no verve and really seems like just a schmo who happens to dig killing.

October 13 2009 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SenorWeird

The first Dexter book felt too abridged having watched the first season first.

The second Dexter book was okay, except for the subplot about Astor and Cody that carries on in the third book.

The third book is tripe and I couldn't finish it. I won't look at the fourth.

October 13 2009 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse

"But while watching that iconic opening of Dexter's mourning routine"

mourning? really dude?

wow.

October 13 2009 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJL

"I did just re-watched the previous season."

Really dude?

October 13 2009 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin McGuirk

The first two books are great, but the third book is very disappointing as it brings a supernatural element to it. I hear the 4th book which came out recently is a lot better than the 3rd, but I can't get myself to read it.

October 13 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Justin McGuirk's comment
DealplusCoupon

Agree with you.

October 14 2009 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Yeah, that third book really freaked me out.

October 14 2009 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply