October 20, 2014

Do True Blood's Steve and Sarah Newlin seem like Joel and Victoria Osteen?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 14th 2009 10:04AM
Joel and Victoria Osteen, Steve and Sarah Newlin of True Blood
True Blood
is on hiatus until next year, so I'll do whatever it takes to feed my fixation -- even if it means bringing down a popular pastor and televangelist. I came across this picture of Joel and Victoria Osteen (above, left) -- he's an author, TV host, and pastor at Lakewood Church. I'm sure they're doing wonderful things in the world and helping lots of people.

But really, just look at them. They're Steve and Sarah Newlin from True Blood (above, right). There's no mistaking it, and I have to wonder if Alan Ball had the Osteens in mind when he wrote the parts for the Newlins, played by Michael McMillian and Anna Camp.

Somehow, I feel certain that Joel and Victoria Osteen aren't harboring a grudge against vampires (though I'm sure they work against evil in the world) or holding poor souls captive in their church basement, like the Newlins did at the Light of Day Institute.

Still, it's hard not to see the similarities, isn't it? Both couples are based in Texas, too.

Edie

The Newlins were NOT created by Alan Ball. They were created by Charlaine Harris, who wrote the Sookie Stackhouse Books. Just Clarifying That.

October 15 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

They'd love Vampires as long as they gave their stupid Megachurch a big donation.

As far as I know, the bible doesn't say vampires shall not lie with other vampires, so there's no reason for Christians to hate them.

October 15 2009 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

I think the Newlins were just stereotypical ultra-conservative Christians. It just so happens that there are many such couples in the real world.
It was a good find though. I love that the girls have the same crazy hair.

October 14 2009 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Or, it could be based on any other freakishly cheery tv evangelist couple. They are all scary in their own right.

October 14 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Bach

Absolutely based on them. I knew it the minute they were introduced into the show. Even down to the accents. Can't wait till the new season starts!

October 14 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1Dad

I just hope the Newlin's storyline is over and done with.

October 14 2009 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Rogus

Well since the Vampire rights storyline on True Blood is an allegory for gay rights I think it's pretty obvious. The Osteen's may "preach nothing but love" except when it comes to gay people. They believe someone can be "cured" of being gay and have contempt for gay people who don't want to be "cured"

October 14 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I definitely think the resemblance was done on purpose, but not for the reason mentioned in the article. There are a lot of televangelist who preach hate, but I have never seen the Osteens preach anything but love. As a matter of fact, Osteen is one of the most accepting mega church pastors in the world, so I don't think the actions of the Newlins are any sort of critique on the Osteens. However, they are undoubtedly one of the most well known evangelical couples, so their image was probably conjured to evoke the popular image of televangelists.

October 14 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply