July 23, 2014

HBO snags Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 14th 2009 12:07PM
amy_sherman_palladinoRecently, I spent a couple of hours watching Gilmore Girls on SoapNet. The experience put a smile on my face and reminded me that I miss the kind of dramedy that Amy Sherman-Palladino created on that show.

The show remains a near perfect blend of character, comedy, drama and emotion to me. So, when I read this morning that Amy Sherman-Palladino is doing aproject at HBO about a mother-daughter relationship, I let out a "yeah."

True, true, true, Amy's last show was the disappointing sitcom -- hell, call it like it was, dreadful -- The Return of Jezebel James at Fox. No excuses. It was a mess. Still, I'm more than willing to give this writer another chance to soar again.

There's no title yet for this new dramedy, but the story sounds very combustible and comic. It's the story of three adult sisters and a brother coping with their domineering doyenne mother, a "literary lioness" who favors the brother over the sisters, despite the fact that he's not as accomplished as his sisters.

Sherman-Palladino told the Hollywood Reporter, "It's a story of love, hate, family -- and finding the perfect opening line."

After having had a good experience at the WB (before it was the CW) and a bad one at Fox, it might be beneficial for her to give HBO a try. Certainly the powers that be at HBO believe in letting creative types have a wide berth. Just look at Hung, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage. Before them, there's a history of Deadwood, The Sopranos and Six Feet Under. Amy should -- could -- thrive at HBO.

I know when this airs, I'll be adding HBO back to my DirecTV line up. (Currently, I'm doing the premium thing with Showtime. Hey, sometimes you have to make a choice, TV fans!)

Corrector

"...a near perfect blend of character, comedy, drama and emotion..."

Dear god, I'm pretty sure a hellmouth just opened somewhere.

October 15 2009 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

Do you think enough time has elapsed that fans of GG are wiling to forgive her for what she did to our beloved characters out of spite, before she left Stars Hollow?

Since I'm still boycotting HBO over the whole Deadwood debacle, if I watch it, it will have to be incredible and on DVD/On Demand. I'm bitter that way.

October 14 2009 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Daune Calovini's comment
RamenFanatic

Why would you boycott HBO over Deadwood? David Milch is the one who refuses to go back and finish it up.

As for Palladino, I agree the sixth season was lousy, but the Palladino-free seventh was godawful. She walked because the network refused to pay her contract, in hindsight they should have given her her paycheck and then some.

October 14 2009 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

That was the spin from HBO, and I believed it. But, the story I got recently from one of the Deadwood actors was that Milch was devastated with the treatment from HBO. After deciding to cancel the show, he reportedly fought for any kind of support, financial or otherwise, to do the Deadwood movies and got nothing but a mandate to do a good job on John From Cincinnati. This actor had nothing to gain from telling me this except a desire to set me straight, because I was holding on to that grudge. *shrug* I found it very interesting and cathartic. He was quite adamant about it.

October 14 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply